SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Attitude is the difference...

19K views 198 replies 25 participants last post by  Giulietta 
#1 ·
Ever notice how some people that come to Sailnet respond very differently from others...

For instance... Bernie K's response in this chartering thread was:

Bernie K said:
Thank you all for your great comments -- that is what is so great about this board! Individuals such as yourselves take the time to help out sailor wannabees... I'm going to pick up the the cruising guide tomorrow. Thanks so much for the sites --- only one month to go!.

Appreciate the warning on Willy T.

Again, thanks for your replies!

Bernie
While over on the cruising forum, you have Dogsailors, with these two responses:
dogsailors said:
Both dogs have done extensive coastal cruises as well as hiked the appalachain trail and canoed down several rivers once even in the atlantic. My dogs are cared for far better than most and I will not feel sorry for a dog who eats and sleeps all day. I was not asking for opinions but simply wanted to know if anyone has cruised with these near genuis dogs. Obviously no one on this site is acctually out cruising so I will have to see for my self. Good luck arm chair sailors have fun talking sh*t while Im out sailing.
dogsailors said:
excuse me for asking if anyone OWNS AND CRUISES with bull dogs. was never interested in your opinions since you DO NOT CRUISE with bull dogs. Real friendly site I feel so welcome.
Both people were asking questions, and getting good, critical, and useful feedback IMHO-yet their responses are totally different. It seems that some of the newbies on sailnet want to only have their beliefs and ideas justified, rather than a wholehearted, honest, if somewhat humorous, discussion of the topic.

Do you think newbies, like Dogsailors and Horseatingweeds, are being too sensitive, or do they need to take chill pill and learn to deal?

Also, if you were out on the water...which would you want to be sailing near? If you had to crew for one...who would you rather crew for? If you had to have one as crew in an emergency, who would you want on your boat?

See less See more
#3 ·
That woman drives a Volvo station wagon. I know she drives one. And you know she does.
Valiente deserves the Sailnet Cross, with Oak Leaf clusters.

Question: How long would she last with the Portagee?

You're right between the hawse pipes Dog. Peoples personalities don't take too long to reveal themselves. In my experience, people with the latter's personality usually lock themselves in their room alone after their watch. Just as well, it wouldn't hardly be prudent to take a walk on deck in the dark.

#4 · (Edited)
T34C said:
Could you be more specific as to their range and maybe closing speed???
And what armanents were available aboard the boat you were on??

Sailaway21-

I thnk you've insulted Volvo drivers as a whole. :D Even I wouldn't inflict her on Giu... he hasn't done that much wrong.

#5 ·
do not confuse people with the facts, it really messes with their reality.

#7 ·
sailingdog said:
And what armanents were available aboard the boat you were on??

Sailaway21-

I thnk you've insulted Volvo drivers as a whole. :D Even I wouldn't inflict her on Giu... he hasn't done that much wrong.
Nah, bugger it, throw him to the dogs. Be good sport for the rest of us. :p :p

#9 ·
I prefer to not damage my boat in the process of getting rid of the bad guys. :D

#11 ·
Side note:
The guy that I first crewed for had SS angle iron welded up that replaced the toe rails on the bow. VERY effective in pre-race manouveing!!!! I saw it rip off 1 BBQ grill, 1 stern pushpit, and put 3 holes thru the hull of another boat. (All in 1 season of racing!!)

#12 · (Edited)
SD, didn't you already make this point in the original thread that you quoted dogsailors from? Also I don't see her post thanking people for their replies in your quote.

While I have no dog in this fight - pun intended - I have noticed there is a certain contingency of posters here lately who have been a bit juvenile and tend to hijack threads for their own entertainment, posting "witty" locker room banter instead of staying on topic as did happen in the thread you quote from. That might be the source of frustration for the poster seeking persons with actual experience and not just somebody's lips & A**hole if you know what I mean.

Not long ago I would have guessed you as a moderator with your criticism of people for not following proper forum etiquette. Might I suggest one of those "chill pills" of which you speak?:rolleyes:

edited to correct names

#13 ·
Ah come on BADG. The initial answers in that thread addressed her concerns, They came from people like me who have cruised with animals (in my case a dog and a cat) and found the experience to be less than wonderful for the animals. Again in my case I tried to make the point that while cruising from one marina to another was Ok the idea of an extended offshore cruise with animals was not fair on them. For us animal lovers that's an unfortunate fact but a fact nonetheless.

Sure it went downhill from there but really , what can you expect ?

#14 ·
tdw, could you elaborate on what it was like with the cat aboard? I have a young one that I've had for a few months. While I won't be going anywhere out of the Chesapeake anytime soon, in a couple of years we will be doing some extensive cruising. I have already planned to keep my eyes on her behavior while living aboard and the bay trips I'll be taking with her. If you prefer, you can PM your experience with it to me.

Don

#15 ·
I've heard that cruising with cats is actually reasonably easy...since they're much lower maintenance than two 40+ lbs. dogs would be. Many LD cruisers, including Tania Aebi, have written about their experiences with cats aboard.

#16 ·
BADG said:
I have noticed there is a certain contingency of posters here lately who have been a bit juvenile and tend to hijack threads for their own entertainment, posting "witty" locker room banter instead of staying on topic
I have noticed that the original question got answered several times; fairly and honsetly. That particular person did not like the suggestions she was given. Her mind was made up before she solicited for advice. Nothing anybody said or did was going to please her, other than "I think its a great idea."

The humor is part of what makes this work, we have had this discussion.
In fact we have had all of these discussions.

I noticed that the same topic gets brought up about the same thing over and over again. Do ya see me complain? NO.

The questions do get answered. Threads do get hijaked. The topic changes. We joke around.
So what?

#17 · (Edited)
Sailortj, I am not defending dogsailors - that thread is irrelevant to me. This thread is gratuitous and contrary to the content.

Joking is perfectly acceptable (I even partake on occasion) but when it renders a thread useless by having to sort through pages of name-calling, it is too much. People will find other sources for information where they do not have to wade through all the BS.

edited to correct names

#19 ·
It's a shame this site doesn't have a bunch of article that people could go to for info before starting silly threads that just ask to be 'jacked.

T34C & sailingdog- let's not forget the wombatapult (though i don't know it's effective range)

#22 · (Edited)
Also, many subjects have been written about as a thread...and a simple search for the threads related to the topic in question would often result in an answer. Some questions are very common and come up repeatedly... crimp or solder, chain or rope for an anchor rode, what's the best anchor, etc. and have been answered very thoroughly.

BADG-

Main reason I wrote this is attitude is the key difference. Dogsailors' attitude is that if we weren't sailors, cruising with two bull terriers aboard the boat, that any information, advice or opinions we had was not valid. She even said as much in one of her posts. If you consider that bull terriers are not the most popular breed, and that cruising sailors are generally not dog owners, much less having two dogs aboard... the number of people who could legitimately answer the question in her eyes is almost zero.

Most of the initial responses were to her questions...but were ignored as being irrelevant, since they didn't agree with her idea that cruising with two medium-sized bull terriers is the best thing in the world for them.

Another poster who came in to the sailnet forums and was upset at the responses they had was Horseatingweeds, on his Boat as a character thread. His post and intent was vague and not very specific. He wanted information on a boat that was capable of bluewater passages and going from the Great Lakes, to Corpus Christi, TX. He didn't have a size or type of boat in mind. He didn't have even a basic idea of what kind of boat he wanted to use. Boats capable of making that journey range from a 20' Flicka, to a 62' Gunboat Cat... and the lifestyle of the person living aboard the boat will range from that of a monastic hermit to someone with all the conveniences of life ashore—satellite TV, hot and cold pressure water, washer and dryer, microwave oven, etc. Yet, when the people on this forum tried to help him focus his mind and writing abilities...he was upset.

#23 ·
Sorry guys, was being sarcastic. The articles are great. The point i was feebly getting at was that few people seem to take advantage of them. Their loss, more entertainment for the rest of us.

#24 ·
Mike, I hope you're sailing on Lake of the Ozarks, as there isn't much else in Missouri worth sailing on.. ;)

#25 ·
Personally I can understand people repeatedly asking questions that have been brought up before. They need to voice their concern/question and want to play an interactive role in its solution. However, when you ask the question and receive several answers, you can't keep complaining that answers aren't specific enough to your original question, i.e. Not just cruising with a dog, but a bull terrior, and not just a bull terrior but a smallish approx. 50 lb. bull terrior. NOt just a smallish, 50 lb bull terrior, but a smallish 50 lb. bull terrior that is trained to poop on a square of carpet, likes to go canoeing, and some how found hiking boots that fit, and has asperations of K2.....

Lets face it, ITS A DOG! It might be your dog, and it might be a very nice dog, but its a DOG, and as such it will behave similarly to other dogs. If you insist on beating the topic to death because of your perceived specifics then you have to expect someone to call bullshit.

#26 ·
Back in the day..

Back in the day..

Sailors, sailed the seven seas with an assortment of critters ie. cows,goats,sheep,chickens,parrots cats,dogs and yes even the occasional rat. With the introduction of refrigeration we can still maintain a fresh diet and not contend with either the input nor out of said critters in maintaining their freshness before consumption :D :D :D

Fair Winds,

Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.