Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Put these in order.....

Or just pick one you like. What's your pleasure?

Heres the list:

Bristol
Cal
Cape Dory
C+C
Endeavour
Ericson
Irwin
Islander
Pearson
Tartan

Home: Would be sailed in SF Bay area and Coastal Pacific, High winds, strong currents, big swells, mostly day sails.

Put these guys in YOUR order, most favorite to least favorite considering the area it will be sailed in. Also, information on "goods" and "bads" of the boats.

You can also add boats that you feel would be good that are not listed. Requirements for this are: No Catalinas, Beneteaus, or Hunters. Prefer wheel steering and no centerline tables.
Size: 28-32'
Price: under 30k
Looking forward to the input and arguments, but please don't hijack the thread. Thanks

Vaya con Dios

Last edited by bestfriend; 03-06-2007 at 04:46 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-06-2007

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
I personally never understand these type requests - do you REALLY want buying advice from strangers? Not dissimilar than asking for financial advice.
Having said that, FAR more important than what mfg boat is how well it has been maintained, upgraded and what is the overall condition.
Presuming you already know this and have looked at them all, it should be relatively simple to choose from among them.
Everybody has an opinion and their favorite(s).
Old 03-06-2007
Sailmanles

longwaterline is on a distinguished road
Any of the boats on your list found in good condition would meet your requirements. That being said my preference would be the Cape Dory 30 with the full keel and being a Carl Alberg design. The full keel and relatively heavy displacement should do well in that environment assuming cruising was your main purpose. The boat also was made as a cutter so you would have sail setting options. Also the manufacturers,Whitby for one,were noted for good construction. Any of the Cape Dorys such as the Typhoon, much smaller, would be very capable day sailors and more.
Old 03-06-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
K1vsk -I understand that. I am not asking strangers to choose what boat I should buy. I have a boat. I am asking for personal opinions and discussions on what people like and why. Thats why I took the thread out of the "boat buying" forum. Obviously, if I am buying, I would consider condition, refits, upgrades, etc, but that is not the question or part of the equation.

Vaya con Dios
Old 03-06-2007

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
I guess I inferred wrong regarding why you were asking - sorry. Is it your purpose to solicit everyone's opinion in which case we'd need to know a lot more about how you plan to use the boat, e.g. if you intend to race, the answer would be different than mearly weekend cruising

Last edited by k1vsk; 03-06-2007 at 05:51 PM.
Old 03-06-2007

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
What is the point of this thread? If you are familiar enough with SF Bay conditions to eliminate certain makes of boats, wouldn’t you be smart enough to put your list in the best order for you? Or are you just trolling? I am curious on how you came up with your list as it contains boats not well represented on the Bay and others that are not well suited either. What do you sail now and where do you keep your boat?
Old 03-06-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Best...I going with the Cape Dory too given the coastal component of your requirements. Any of your choices is sutable for the Bay and some are more roomy or performance oriented so it is largely a matter of what your priorities are.
Old 03-06-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
You forgot the Dehler, the Hallberg-Rassy, the Najad, the X yachts, the Moody, or you're keeping it "American"?
Old 03-06-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
This is easy. The Playboy mansion is in Los Angeles and you are in San Francisco. You need to get there fast, you've already wasted enough of your life as it is. so you need either the C&C or the Cal. And you need a boat in LA for the girls to crew on.
Other's may have their specific ways of ranking your list, although none have really done so, and I have made it simple by just giving you the top of the list. As to my evaluation process, it does reflect on my current state of marital harmony but I defy anyone to come up with a better one. Remember, a good boat will get you through times of no woman better than a woman will get you through times of no boat.
Old 03-06-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Mac 26, and a Yamaha 225 on the stern. Can't beat it with a stick going to windward.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.