SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

knock on wood....

7K views 39 replies 14 participants last post by  sailingdog 
#1 ·
spammers be gone!

I installed an update to the registration system yesterday that thwarts spammers from automatically registering and posting their crap on the site. I am sure over time they'll figure out how to get around my latest invention, but we'll try to stay at least one step ahead.

believe it or not, the spammers had developed software that could actually read the graphical image that was displayed at registration with characters and letters (you know ... the one's that you and I could hardly read) :) :) :)

In addition we installed new image uploading software that should correct the problem some members were having when attempting to upload new images...

thank again...

Jeff, Chris and everyone else at SailNet.

#5 ·
You'd have to ask Hormel, or Mr Whitekeys in Anchorage, AK, leader of the Fabulous Spamtones. (Where they also serve spam on the menu at his club)

#6 ·
Good luck Jeff... I hope it works.. the spam was really getting annoying, especially when it would drag up 4+ year old threads.

#8 ·
goose327 said:
You run a tight ship Jeff, thanks.
But PLEASE you guys,, quit using that word for unwanted internet clutter,, I like SPAM.
LOL, yeah, it's usually on my provisions list too. ;)

#9 ·
SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM...We have SPAM with Potatoes and SPAM, SPAM with tomatoes and SPAM, and also SPAM with SPAM and SPAM...in case you don't like SPAM....

Here polly polly polly...it is but a dead parrot
it is not...he is sleeping
sleeeeeeping????
He looks dead to me....
no its not....he's sleeping

#11 ·
Technically, we're on the topic of Spammers...and since we eat it...technically we are spammers... ;) wouldn't you agree.

#19 ·
SPAM, is a trademark of the Hormel Food company and it is a canned luncheon meat that was originally made from processed Pork Shoulder and Ham... You can read more about it here or here.

The other kind of SPAM is unwanted e-mail. From this website.

Spam refers to electronic junk mail or junk newsgroup postings. Some people define spam even more generally as any unsolicited e-mail. In addition to being a nuisance, spam also eats up a lot of network bandwidth. Because the Internet is a public network, little can be done to prevent spam, just as it is impossible to prevent junk mail. However, the use of software filters in e-mail programs can be used to remove most spam sent through e-mail.

#25 ·
My uncle

I had an uncle that went to work for Hormel at the SPAM factory. He was all proud the day the truck came to take him to work. I don't think we ever heard from him again. We all assumed he was too stuck up to call us once he made it to the big time.:p
pigslo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.