Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2002

davejam is on a distinguished road
Charter Vs. Buying

If we want to cruise for 3-4 month around BVI
Can we charter or are we better to buy and resell.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-12-2002

BigRed56 is on a distinguished road
Charter Vs. Buying

Ahoy davejam, Big Red the pirate says how close do you want to look at the paper work and hows your level of excitement latley?
Old 01-15-2002
Senior Nappy Headed Ho

Denr is an unknown quantity at this point
Charter Vs. Buying

BR60-4
You got to stop drinking the rum while you''re on the medication. What the hell does your reply mean?
Old 01-15-2002

Charter Vs. Buying

Ahoy Denr keep in mind that as captain of this here pirate fleet I ain''t havin no insubordinate swabs befuddling a perfecty lucid and cryptic response. I was just trying to offer some alternative sources and options for easy acess into the world of sailing. It ain''t easy to make a buck on the uninitiated with the like of yer rational comments swirling around the foredeck. As for the consumption of spirits and medicinal remidies I was just trying to keep me balance in these trying times, thank you vbery much. Big Red uurp!! the pirate of Pine Island.
Old 01-16-2002

davejam is on a distinguished road
Charter Vs. Buying

So bigred what are your alternative sources and options for easy acess into the world of sailing.
Old 01-16-2002

Charter Vs. Buying

Ahoy davejam, Glad ye asked but are ye wearing a Wire? First if yer any kind of salt ye ought to be able to steal enough on land to finance your sea life. Then again whan a couple of swells wit a bag of cash wants to joy ride ain''t nothing wrong wit giving em what they want. And then theres the Pirate life wit all the risks of inprisonment and death and the rewards of giving no quarter and just taking what ye need form the sea. I mean do ye got any Idea what an outboard wind generator brings down in the Islands? I ere tell of a few who even trade the illgotten gain for precious spices and herbs and return to port and sell the lot for a bucket of coin. Eye tis a lot to think on bring me some rum and I''ll tell ye the rest. Beware now been many the stool pigeon been awoke in unfamilar waters for lack of honor. Arrh Big Red the Pirate of Pine Island
Old 01-21-2002

bobneidhardt is on a distinguished road
Charter Vs. Buying

davejam,
I like BigRed''s attitude, but here''s my 2 cents. At, say, $2000. per week, a 3-4 month cruise would cost you $25,000. to $32,000. I would think you could buy a boat in the $75,000. range, maybe a used charter -boat already there - use it and sell it with only half that in net, out of pocket expense. The down side is you will probably need to spend some time with it, making sure it''s right or getting it that way. If you buy directly out of the charter fleet - maybe that can be part of the deal.

I wish I had 3-4 montns to do it!
Old 03-01-2002

danaa is on a distinguished road
Charter Vs. Buying

davejam -

The answer to your question is "it depends". If you live near the coast and want to have a boat for after your cruise, then buy one. Remember, you must have the experience for the ocean passage (short as it may be) to get to the wonderful BVI.

If you don''t want a boat for afterwards, then charter it. It is far less hassle. If you''ve got 25k to burn, it will be an experience that will be with you the rest of your life. Spend the extra and go with a reputable company that will assist you (with chase boats) if you have problems. My opinion is if your going to own a boat, it should be for a longer haul then 4 months, otherwise, it is not worth the hassle. Good Luck!
Old 03-02-2002

Snap is on a distinguished road
Charter Vs. Buying

A wise old sage once offered this bit of sound advice, "If it flies, floats or f***s, rent it - don''t buy it."
Old 03-02-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Charter Vs. Buying

Its a shame that the "wise old sage" never learned to make a committment in life.