Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2007
can't re Member

captlar is on a distinguished road
Southern Cal down to Mexico is beautiful and there are thousands of boats. Marinas are crowded and expensive but southern Cal is currently the top of my list. No ICW, few harbors but beautiful. Do a search and you will find recent threads discussing the areas in detail.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Walt Kelly's Pogo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The Pacific ICW is the Inner Passage up to Alaska..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-10-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Much better and protected sailing and exploring and harbors along the East Coast and den we have de islands too mon.

....I know I am gonna hear more about this from the left coast contingent but the truth shall set you free!
Old 03-10-2007

Newport41 is on a distinguished road
You're right Cam, you are gonna get an ear full. If fairness, warm currents flow on the east side of all continents and cold currents flow on west sides. It's a fact of nature. However, this is a general rule and there are plenty of exceptions and there are plenty of reasons why sailing on the West coast is clearly better than the east . Cam, you may be right about the continental US, but don't forget Canada. The Gulf islands, Vancouver islands inside passage, deep inlets in the great bear rainforest, the Queen Charlotte islands. All on the way to Alaska if you like. Most of those places are well protected. It's moderate temperature in the winter, 10C (48F) right now. Warm in the summers. Mixture of westerlies and Southeasters. Best salmon fishing on earth (If you disagree I will fight you ). Great wild life, Kermode (spirit) bears, black bears, grizzly bears, coastal wolves, roosevelt elk, deer, moose, polar bears (just kidding), and more bald eagles than you can shake a stick at. And that's just on land. In the ocean we have sea lions, orcas(local and transient), humpback and grey whales, dolls porpoise, dolphins, halibut, salmon, cod, tuna. Lot's of marina space. Coastal towns from 20 people to over 2 million people. A reliable and helpful coastguard and it's not nearly as crowded as some of those east coast destinations.
On the US side of the boarder you do have a lot of exposed coast like the outside of the Canadian west coast. Keep in mind though that it's all very pretty. And keep in mind that there is also, the San Juan islnds, pugett sound, the olympic mountains to look at (although I'm sure that there are pretty mountains as a backdrop for east coast cruising too ), San Fransisco bay, the channel islands. And then there's Baja, Coasta rica, Hawaii, French polynesia, the rest of the South Pacific. I'm sure I'm leaving out a thousand west coast destinations but I think you get the point. West coast cruising in Canada, the USA, or the rest of the Pacific has a lot going for it. Besides, all you ever hear for east coasters is boo hoo we have to cross the gulf stream .
You right Cam, the truth has set me free
Old 03-10-2007

pigslo is on a distinguished road
There are more places on this planet than can be seen in a lifetime.
pigslo
Old 03-11-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigslo
pigslo
Not true... you just have to live a very, very, very long time.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-11-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigslo
pigslo
Its too damn crowded here. I am hoping they find water on the moon soon.

Vaya con Dios