Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2007

Captain_Rick is on a distinguished road
any answers would help

im pretty new to this whole sailing thing i was living in a condo and it just wasnt for me. i wanted to live on a boat so i bought a 73 coronado 32. im in richmond b.c and have been crewing on my neighbours boat as much as i can. its a 60 ' 1921 beauty. ive posted this question once before and nobody answered. if i insulate my lockers with a layer of closed cell foam will it help with the condensation? thanks! hopefully ill see some of the locals in the straight this summer
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Heat inside the boat would help with the condensation. Also solar vents would also help and make the boat a little cooler once summer gets here. Insulation never hurts There is a double foiled sided foam that works well.
Old 03-08-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
I have one of those air dryers that you plug in to the outlet. It helps a lot.

Vaya con Dios
Old 03-09-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Have you thought about getting a Force 10 or similar type of heater ? Insulating it will help - and keeping your bilge bone dry (or as close as possible) will make a big difference.
Old 03-09-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Any insulation will help prevent condensation. Any heating of the interior will also help prevent condensation, if it is a dry form of heat. Propane heaters are generally "wet" forms of heat unless they are vented to the exterior. Air circulation, like solar-powered vents will also help keep the interior of a boat dry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-09-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
In B.C., a liveaboard has to consider a diesel, kerosene or propane heater a must, especially if you are off shore power. The moisture from breathing alone will never otherwise leave the boat, and given the hellacious rain, you've got to send the humidity up the chimney stack. Consider a Dickinson or similar stove, even one of the floor models if you can hack the space requirement.

By all means insulate, as it will help, but it's the animal breathing in a cold plastic box (you in the boat) that is the source, so you need a way to heat the air inside to carry that moisture, then a way to get it out of the boat (up the flue). You'll also want to think of a dorade or three to draw fresh air into the boat, and perhaps a few fans and little trays of dessicant in the corners to keep dry the spaces the heater can't. Not to mention to keep you breathing.

There's plenty of literature on this stuff. Consider The Warm, Dry Boat, as I've heard Toronto liveaboards (yes, even in winter!) recommend it:

http://www.livingaboard.com/closeup....catid=4&pcid=2
Old 03-09-2007

cpcohen is on a distinguished road
"The Warm, Dry Boat" is excellent!

We got some thin foam insulation at Home Depot, and cemented it to the inside of several lockers on our boat. It worked very well.

You also need some airflow underneath your mattess.

Charles
Old 03-09-2007

tigerregis has a little shameless behaviour in the past
This year in Vancouver, the only "dry" things were the wit and martinis. BTW, if you are going "straight", look for Georgia.
Old 03-09-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Be aware that some heaters can worsen the problem. For a heater to be helpful, it has to vent the exhaust to the exterior...otherwise it is adding quite a bit of moisture itself.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-10-2007

Captain_Rick is on a distinguished road
thanks

i have a fab-all fireplace and two little space heaters. they warm her up pretty quick. and i built a little rack that keeps my matress about a half inch off the floor. its just that the lockers dont to seem to see any of the airflow. like i said thanks im gonna go ahead with insulating them with the foil faced stuff i picked up being a noob i just wanted to check first