Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2007

cockeyedbob is on a distinguished road
tdw ... Gerry O'Beirne quoted ...
Checked storm tracks SIO for last 25 years, some years very active ... Port Hedland still there? ... Thanks for the book, routing, and tide suggestions ... sail from San Diego, make a stop or two 'long the way ...
Old 03-13-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cockeyedbob
Checked storm tracks SIO for last 25 years, some years very active ... Port Hedland still there? ... Thanks for the book, routing, and tide suggestions ... sail from San Diego, make a stop or two 'long the way ...
G O'B - listening now. Nice.

You live in San Diego ? Nice town. I've friends who live there. He used to work for Dennis Connor. Got to hoon about on the Stars and Stripes chase boat out with the lads on the Cup boats. Few years back now although they still live in SD. Love those damn Sea Lions although it wasn't my boat they were sleeping thank heavens.

Port Hedland a bit bashed around but still there I hear. That was a nasty one that went through this week. Needless to say this is not the time of year to cruise the Kimberley Coast.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2007

Small world ... Bob Connor (aka Beautiful Bob, S/V Bobalu), Dennis Connor's cousin/uncle/something like that, worked for the wife in St Pete years ago.

Port Hedlland ... a left and then a quick right ... all the Oz storms look backwards and upside down from here ... a smashing performance indeed.

High desert here ... did internship in San Diego, love the place but too expensive, too crowded, and it's in California ... make it there once a year to taste the salt and visit Black's Beach ... will launch Cockeyed Bob there, 'til then, it's the wife's Capri at 7000'.

All good things in time.
Old 03-13-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cockeyedbob

Regarding the route, something I should make clear, just in case you think I know what I am talking about .

Louisiades is probably a bum steer. My intention is to head north to Thursday Island then either west to the Kimberleys and return or East to Louisiades and the Solomons. If you are coming from the East however, you would probably be best advised to come through New Caledonia , across to north east coast of Queensland then up to TI or head North West from NC to TI. I want to go through the Louisiades beccause they are not so often visited and are supposedly an intereting place to see plus I wish to visit a specific island south of Bougainville. (family history). It may be that the Lousiades is a bit too far north when coming from the East. To be honest I don't know but I will find out.

I've not done this trip previously so I could be talking through my arse but it is what I'd like to do. I've been up to TI and west from there but not as far as the Kimberley Coast itself. Nor have I gone east from TI. New Guinea has a reputation for lawlessness but from what I read that's confined mainly to Port Moresby and Bougainville.

Cheers

TD

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 03-14-2007

roger that ...
head west, follow the weather ...
no schedule, no particular destination ...
stay a week or until I get weak ...

Last edited by cockeyedbob; 03-14-2007 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-14-2007

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
Does anyone know if the fool Ryan is still alive?
Old 03-14-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
No word yet Denby...weather will be kicking up if he isn't in port soon.
Old 03-15-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
He posted so much and because each time he posted he opened a beer he was too drunk to go, fell asleep and his still in an alley dosing...
Old 03-15-2007

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie
No word yet Denby...weather will be kicking up if he isn't in port soon.
In southern New England we are expecting 6 inches to 1 foot of snow and getting cooler, some might say cold.

Dennis
Old 03-15-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If he's still out on the water when this "winter storm" hits... I don't think we'll be hearing back from him, except maybe as a headline.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.