Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2007

Quickstep192 is on a distinguished road
Tips for removing Cetol?

My boat has what I consider to be a lot of teak; wide coamings, grab rails, gunwale guard, companionway, the list goes on...... About seven years ago all of the teak was done in Cetol and recoated every other year. At this point, it's thick and orange and has failed in many places. I had hoped to just sand the failed places and re-coat, but there are a lot of them and I doubt it would blend well. So, I think I need to face the stripping task. I'm wary of using chemical strippers around my fiberglass topsides or around the awlgrip on the hull. Sounds like I'm down to scraping, but I though I'd check in here to see if anyone's found any magic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-10-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Down through the years I have scraped, sanded and used chemicals. They all have pluses and minuses. At one time my prior boat looked that same way with the Cetol. It was so dark the teak may as well have been knotty pine. I suggest using a good quality scraper first to see how that goes. If the blade is sharp, the Cetol will some off rather easily and quickly. Then a light sanding and you are ready to refinish with the product of your choice (another topic beat to death on here before so use the search function for that.)

Assuming you use a stripper safe for fiberglass as stated on the label, using that will be fine -- but you do need to be careful with the Awlgrip. That's why I suggest starting with scraping.

Good luck.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 03-10-2007

saillavie38 is on a distinguished road
Heat gun?

I'm considering that same task this season, and thought I might try a heat gun to help soften the Cetol before using a putty knife or scrapper. Has anyone tried this approach?
Larry
"Sail-La-Vie"
Old 03-10-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
I have found through experience that a hot air gun will make an otherwise very difficult scraping job, much easier. It takes a little practice to determine how long to keep the blower in one spot, but once in the groove, follow with a sharp scraper and the 7 years of Cetol will come off in ribbons.

Sand smooth with 80 grit paper, remove dust with tack cloths and rub all bare teak with an acetone wipe down, prior to applying your first sealer coat. I have so much teak on my boat's exterior, I resorted to hiring Antiguan pros.

They showed me a few tricks, which I used for stripping my pilothouse interior. I left all the exterior stripping work to them though - best decision I've made, saving the gratifying job of applying a new finish to my own labors of joy.

As Mitch stated, extensive threads have covered this topic - usually degenerating into a varnish vs Cetol debate.
Old 03-10-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Good advice....one additional suggestion is for getting into the corners that a normal scraper won't work in. Take a small piece of Lexan type acryllic and cut one edged at a 45 degree angle. You can maintain the edge with sandpaper and it works great without being hard enough to damage anything.
We had to do the same thing on our boats rail when we got her and the heat gun works and was our solution....but it is still a lot of labor. I too don't want to start another finish debate but if it is your choice to stay with cetol....I suggest 2 base coats of regular Cetol followed by 2 coats of Cetol GLOSS. Then for maintenance you simply rough up and renew the Cetol GLOSS and you never get the buildup of ugly color that you have now.
Old 03-10-2007

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Heres a new product from Cetol

Cetol® Marine Natural Teak
Cetol Marine Natural Teak is a durable satin, translucent protective wood finish for use above the waterline on interior and exterior woods. Cetol Marine Natural Teak provides a flexible breathable finish along with weather protection for teak and other hard woods. Cetol Marine Natural Teak is a rich golden color that will enhance the natural beauty and grain of wood, offering the traditional classic look that every boat owner loves. It is formulated with the same ease of application and maintenance that all Cetol Marine products are known for but with “Next Wave” UV-absorbing technology, which is specialty resins and advanced UV absorbers that provide greater protection, durability and longevity

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-10-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Time to get a CS ... No exterior teak at all !!
Old 03-10-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Isn't "Cetol Marine Natural Teak", the same formulation recently released by Sikkens, previously called "Ceto Marine Light"? It's what I used followed by "Cetol Gloss", the clear protective coating Cam used. Looks great on my boat, much lighter in tone than the original "orange" hued formula.
Old 03-10-2007

ollie820 is on a distinguished road
I have always sanded. This stuff stains gel coat in a big way so I would tend to worry about liquifying it.
Old 03-10-2007

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
I don't know for sure... but according to the website, http://www.yachtpaint.com/USA/sikkens/default.asp , it is a new product.

It would seem they have listened to the criticism of their customers and are trying to provide a more natural look for teak applications.

Of course I learned of it just after applying cetol as described by Cam to my companion way boards...fiqures.

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.