Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2007

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
If you decide to apply a barrier coat, read and follow the directions on the label carefully. The label says that each coat of barrier paint should be applied within a certain period of time after the previous coat, and the first coat of antifouling paint should also be applied within the same period of time. The reason is to make sure they are chemically bonded. If you don't follow that time schedule, you need to apply a primer before the first coat of antifouling. Otherwise, the antifouling might peel off. If you have any doubts, call the Interlux 800 number on the label. They have an excellent tech support line.

I assume you're planning to keep the Cal for awhile, since you're doing that much work on it. If so, I'd suggest you barrier coat it, even if it has no blisters. The hardest work is stripping off the old paint. Once that's done, applying barrier coat isn't a bad job, and it's good long-term insurance against future problems. I just had mine stripped, and will be barrier coating it this spring, as soon as the weather breaks, so I'm following my own advice.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-10-2007
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mc51
Much Thanks! ....but the sanding seems to be faster. Luckily we're at the end of a dead end street. I don't complain to my neighbor about how loud his Harley is so he can't complain about the sander's noise.
Mc51
If your sander doesn't have a vacuum pickup so you leave no residue, keep an eye out for anyone from the EPA, you would be in big hot water...
Old 03-10-2007

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Nothing to do with noise...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mc51
sanding seems to be faster. Luckily we're at the end of a dead end street. I don't complain to my neighbor about how loud his Harley is so he can't complain about the sander's noise.
Mc51
It has nothing to do with the noise, rather the dust created from the sanding that contains very harmful products, not to mention when the dust settles and you get the slightest amount of moisture, it will be the color of the paint your sanding. This is also a main reason you MUST use a vacuum attachment when sanding in the boat yard. Not much will piss me off more then when someone does that right after polishing my boat.

Last edited by T37Chef; 03-10-2007 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-10-2007

Tom967 is on a distinguished road
I had my boat 7 months on the hard.."One of the perks here in Florida...So I learned and emulated from the very best..The pros and boatbuilders...Getting the old old layers of paint is the dirtiest job in the world..a bit dangerous I might add.."On skin and respitory system" and takes forever...and a pain in the ass for others working on their boats...What would take you two solid weeks can be accomplished in 40 minutes.."Call in the sandblaster"..

Now If you can afford a little time...get a gallon of 2 part marine tex and a putty knife..Fair this compound to your hull..sand it out.."A couple of days ...if you work hard"
Now use Pettit Protect.. follow directions closely...bonds with bottom paint..West marine bottom paint fine..in fact made by Pettit.."By the way the fairing compound will protect against blisters..Now you have ultra first class job.."Actually if you go to my website..www.afewgoodboats.com...I have pictures of these processes...Link #2..The Boatyard..Larry Link...one of the best..old school boatbuilder..
Old 03-10-2007

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
The easiest, least expensive way I've found for a do-it-yourselfer to remove old bottom paint is to use a paint stripper made specifically for use on fiberglass. I get it at a paint supply store that specializes in automobile paints. Don't use ordinary paint strippers, because they're too aggressive, and will damage the gel coat.

Spread a tarp under the boat, and brush the stripper on with a 4" brush. Don't scrape it off. Keep brushing additional coats of stripper on top of the old paint and prior coats of stripper. The objective is to keep it wet. After 3-4 coats of stripper, try to scrape the paint off a small area. When most of the paint comes off an area with fairly easy scraping, then it's ready to be scraped off. If the paint doesn't scrape off fairly easily, then apply more coats of stripper. When you scrape it, just let it drop on the tarp and when you're done, roll up the tarp and throw it away.

After the paint has been remoived, I wipe the area with acetone and then wash it with soapy water, rinsing it thoroughly.