Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2007

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Question Radios...what to do?

I have been trying to decide on a new radio for the boat. I have been researching and comparing several things. Thoughts please...

1. Considering how quickly technology changes, (HD radio, satellite, etc) is the durability of a marine grade radio really worth the extra money, especially if mounted in the cabin?
2. Allot of the marine radios have the capability to access weather channels...worth it? (I have two VHF's that can do that.)
3. What about remote control...I would like to mount the radio in the cabin, as mentioned, but also mount a remote in the cockpit. I have had a difficult time finding radios other than marine style with remote control units? If remote, infrared or hard wired?
4. Are there any radio units that have 6-disk built into the same unit, like you find in allot of new cars these days. I am not opposed to buying a CD Changer as a separate unit, just looking for a possible easier install.
5. What about satellite radio? Better to have a Sirius or XM ready or a portable unit thats compatible with.

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary

Last edited by T37Chef; 03-10-2007 at 01:31 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-10-2007

soul searcher is on a distinguished road
Hey Chef,
If you have alot of music in mp3 make sure you get one that can play off of a data cd it will virtualy eleminate the cd changer, I think most new ones will. Unless your boat is really damp inside I really wouldn't pay the extra cost of the "Marine" type of radio.
spend the extra on more features.
We have a remote for ours but it doesnt work from out in the cockpit you still have to get at least to the companion way before it works.
We have sirius on the boat and didnt go the portable route thats one thing I would do different I didnt think I would enjoy it so much. I would recomend going with the portable on that.
sirius and xm both have really neat weather services but they are pricey.
I have an old blaupunk on my work boat thats been in it for 7 years, Normal car version
Ipod ready is deffinate plus also.
Matt

All boats are sinking it's just a matter of how fast.

Last edited by soul searcher; 03-10-2007 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-10-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef
I have been trying to decide on a new radio for the boat. I have been researching and comparing several things. Thoughts please...

1. Considering how quickly technology changes, (HD radio, satellite, etc) is the durability of a marine grade radio really worth the extra money, especially if mounted in the cabin?
NO NEED FOR MARINE
2. Allot of the marine radios have the capability to access weather channels...worth it? (I have two VHF's that can do that.)
NO NEED FOR WEATHER
3. What about remote control...I would like to mount the radio in the cabin, as mentioned, but also mount a remote in the cockpit. I have had a difficult time finding radios other than marine style with remote control units? If remote, infrared or hard wired?
LOTS OF AFTERMARKET RADIOS WITH A REMOTE BUT YOU HAVE TO BE ABLE TO POINT IT AT THE RADIO...NO RF UNITS THAT I AM AWARE OF. ON WIRED....CORD LENGTH WILL BE A PROBLEM.
4. Are there any radio units that have 6-disk built into the same unit, like you find in allot of new cars these days. I am not opposed to buying a CD Changer as a separate unit, just looking for a possible easier install.
JUST ONE FROM PIONEER (DOUBLE HIGH UNIT WHICH SELLS FOR ABOUT $1500 BUCKS...DON'T GO THERE!!
5. What about satellite radio? Better to have a Sirius or XM ready or a portable unit thats compatible with.
I WOULD PREFER THE FLEXIBILITY OF A PORTABLE UNIT BUT MOST RADIOS ARE READY FOR ONE BRAND OR THE OTHER THESE DAYS ANYWAY. SUGGEST YOU LOOK AT PROGRAMMING AVAILABLE ON EACH TO DECIDE WHAT YOU MIGHT LIKE TO ADD IN THE FUTURE. THERE IS A GOOD POSSIBILITY THAT BOTH WILL MERGE IN THE RELATIVELY NEAR FUTURE ANYWAY.

Thanks
Also: CD changers are complex, prone to failure, additional expense, additional amps and almost obsolete with the advent of MP3 players AND the mp3 format being used to create your own mix CD's which can hold up to 10 CD's worth of music on one CD. My advice would be to forget the changer and get a head unit that plays CD-R's and the MP3 format AND has an auxillary input for an mp3 player or is i-pod compatible. Further discussion on this topic is available at:

Great Cheap Marine Stereo (Pick Two)
Old 03-10-2007

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
As usual, well presented replys...thanks guys.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 03-10-2007
Larus Marinus

Idiens is on a distinguished road
I took Cam's advice. I bought a car radio that has one DVD/CD-R/CD slot plus a slot for a memory card and a USB port to plug in an iPod-like device.
I paid $30 for a program that enabled me to change all my CDs and old cassette tapes into MPEGs. Instead of carrying a locker full of music, I now have to remember where I left the remaining few CD-Rs.
Then there's the cockpit speaker issue. I found I could drive radio linked speakers, which are AA battery powered and work anywhere on the boat, dock, beach... So I did not need to drill holes and feed wires or worry about water proofing (I don't listen to music in a blow).
Since I have a lot of AA battery charging options and a ton of AA batteries on board anyway, this seemed a good way to go.
Old 03-10-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
One thing I did was get a car stereo that had an iPod connector option. I carry about 7400 songs on my iPod and it allows me an easy way to listen to it, and the iPod gives me a very compact way of carrying a lot of music with little space and effort.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-11-2007

cpcohen is on a distinguished road
Both XM and Sirius free-standing receivers will transmit (at very low power) on the FM broadcast band. _Any_ FM radio will receive that signal. You don't need a "Sirius-ready" or "XM-ready" broadcast radio.

We got a Sirius "Roady" at Radio Shack for about $50 -- runs off 12v, works very well (all over the continental US and Canada -- not so good in Central America).

Charles
Old 03-11-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'm not a big fan of XM or Sirius...why should I pay for radio every month??? AM/FM are free, and most of what I want to listen to, at least musically speaking, is on my iPod. Much better than shelling out $15+ a month...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-11-2007
2kt wind=trolling speed

goose327 is on a distinguished road
I am a big fan of sat. radio. We spend about 30 bucks a month for all our vehicles(mine, hers, and the boats/motorhome). Up here we have one AM station(news/talk) and only a few FM's that will come in. If I get back up in some of the canyons I get zero AM/FM signal, but the XM always works, and I can choose the music.
In the Platano I run a cheap WallyWorld car radio and the XM, with a pair of portable speakers.
If I hadn't lost all the music on the old PC I would definatly get an iPod to go with the XM.

Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?
Old 03-11-2007

mgiguere is on a distinguished road
Paid $80 for a brand new Panasonic at Circuit City with aux input (for XM and another other source), single CD player, and a remote which, comes in very handy from the cockpit to mute, change stations, etc. Definitely no need for "maring grade".