Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcorvette1995
I replaced my old engine with a Yanmar 3YM20 2 years ago and have been very happy with the new engine since. They also have the 3YM30 which is 30 HP.

One thing to keep in mind when you put in a new engine is that there are a lot of additional parts to buy: shaft, exhaust, thru-hull, custom engine mount, engine bed glass work, etc... etc... The price does add up. The labor is also very expensive if you can't do the work yourself.

That being said, is it worth it?
You bet!
Knowing that the engine will start on the first twist of the key is wonderful peace of mind. It is also auto bleeding which is an excellent feature.

Todd
This is why T37Chef recommends getting a motor as similar in dimensions to the existing one...to minimize those costs...like re-building the engine mounts and engine bed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-11-2007

Goodnewsboy is on a distinguished road
Kubota seems to have a lot of parts commonality with its well-distributed tractor products that have an excellent reputation. I'd rate them right up there, assuming that the conversion is well done. As has been said, Yanmar is probably the gold standard for quality of its conversion to marine use.
Old 03-11-2007

Newport41 is on a distinguished road
I'm not diesel mechanic but I have worked as a small engine mechanic and I have asked a lot of relevant people as I was hoping to replace our universal 32hp due to rust. In the end it's going to have to settle for a new oil pan due to lack of funds. Our 41 footer is arguably underpowered. As was said above, auxillary was a term that wasn't ment to be taken lightly 25-30 years ago. The nice thing about replacing a diesel of that vintage is that a similar size engine will have 20% more power. I looked at a 40hp Yanmar that had the same dimensions as our 32hp. And the unanimous decision around this part of the world was Yanmar. Isuzu makes a great diesel but some models aren't cut out for the marine environment. the other nice thing about a new engine is fuel consumption is on average 10% better. For offshore work this could be significant. I'd like to here from anyone that has repowered recently. What was the final bill?
Old 03-11-2007

JouvertSpirit is on a distinguished road
I just finished replacing a 1974 Farymann with a Yanmar 3YM20. There was some additional fabrication needed to make the engine mounts line up (the newer engines are smaller for the same HP), but it was a small amount of the total job.

What caught me off guard $ wise was the lay-up time in the yard; we had 2 weeks of constant rainy weather right after dry docking. Don't forget to add the yard time into your costs.
Old 03-11-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnewsboy
Yanmar is probably the gold standard for quality of its conversion to marine use.
May be I did not understand correctly. Yanmar is not a covsersion engine. It was built from scratch as a marine engine, not for example, like Volvo that was "marinized".

But again..may be I did not understand.

But again..they ARE the best...in quality, performance weight, service etc.
Old 03-11-2007

tigerregis has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Giu, I think you might reconsider your POV. When Volvo went out of the 2000 series, I was told that that was the last of the purposely designed marine engines in that size range. This by a renowned(but not infallible) Annapolis engine dealer. He maintained "all" of them were now based on small blocks of tractor/generator engines "marinised" and they were all good.
Old 03-11-2007
Larus Marinus

Idiens is on a distinguished road
I don't think any Volvo's are purpose built. My old MD21A started life as a Peugeot delivery van engine.
Old 03-11-2007

Tom967 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcard
If I rember Yanmar is first and izuzu second on world wide availability of parts. One thought, if you haven't had it yet is to replace the entire fuel system at the same time, as well as anything else down there that is old. Engine out is the very best time.

Coincidentially..just replaced all fuel system components this week..THAT'S
when I found the constant oil drip..coming from the under portion of block...Probably rusty oil pan..which would mean engine would have to come out anyway...With a Circumnavigation planned from here...I no longer have faith in old engine..just not worth the headache..and worrying about "What Next"..In fact I should have replaced it sooner...More optimistic than a realist..

Thanks
Old 03-11-2007

tigerregis has a little shameless behaviour in the past
MD series predates 2001, 02, 03, etc. Not the same at all.
Old 03-11-2007

JouvertSpirit is on a distinguished road
I forgot to mention in my previous post that I considered going electric for a moment Then I pretty much came to my senses and thought about good ol' Murphy, meaning I want power when I want it!. If you were just sailing out of port and returning to the same port on overnighters it would be OK. Anyway, just an option decision that I went through when I repowered my boat recently.
Here's a link to one of the better known electric propulsion companies. They have a demo video to click on.
http://re-e-power.com/