Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2007

Tom967 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JouvertSpirit
I just finished replacing a 1974 Farymann with a Yanmar 3YM20. There was some additional fabrication needed to make the engine mounts line up (the newer engines are smaller for the same HP), but it was a small amount of the total job.

What caught me off guard $ wise was the lay-up time in the yard; we had 2 weeks of constant rainy weather right after dry docking. Don't forget to add the yard time into your costs.

That's not a problem.."The dealer and installer" rides his bike to my slip a minute and a half away..."Sought of right in my lap"...Not leaving for another month in a half..so I'm in ideal position for installation and sea trials. Should be able to do it right in my slip....Good point though
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-11-2007
Larus Marinus

Idiens is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerregis
MD series predates 2001, 02, 03, etc. Not the same at all.
Yea, right. Volvo took my MD21A off their spares list. Luckily, the MD32, its six cylinder brother, is still there, for a while. Then there's the AQ120, which has some common bits, also an old engine. 30 years isn't much for a marine diesel, but if the manufacturer gives up on supporting spares, .... I hope Yanmar has a better record.
Old 03-11-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newport41
I'm not diesel mechanic but I have worked as a small engine mechanic and I have asked a lot of relevant people as I was hoping to replace our universal 32hp due to rust. In the end it's going to have to settle for a new oil pan due to lack of funds. Our 41 footer is arguably underpowered. As was said above, auxillary was a term that wasn't ment to be taken lightly 25-30 years ago. The nice thing about replacing a diesel of that vintage is that a similar size engine will have 20% more power. I looked at a 40hp Yanmar that had the same dimensions as our 32hp. And the unanimous decision around this part of the world was Yanmar. Isuzu makes a great diesel but some models aren't cut out for the marine environment. the other nice thing about a new engine is fuel consumption is on average 10% better. For offshore work this could be significant. I'd like to here from anyone that has repowered recently. What was the final bill?
The 40 HP..Yanmar is the 3jh4E but I figured I'd go up one notch to the4jH4E...54 HP...50hp continuous..In the scheme of things..whatever the extra cost..for the additional power..I would have no regrets..particularly in a difficult seaway..I'll keep the thread posted seeing the dealer tomorrow
Old 03-11-2007
Larus Marinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JouvertSpirit
... They have a demo video to click on.
http://re-e-power.com/
Also:-
http://www.fischerpanda.de/products/eng/154
Old 03-11-2007

JouvertSpirit is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom967
That's not a problem.."The dealer and installer" rides his bike to my slip a minute and a half away..."Sought of right in my lap"...Not leaving for another month in a half..so I'm in ideal position for installation and sea trials. Should be able to do it right in my slip....Good point though
Are you thinking of doing an engine replacement w/out dry docking the boat?
Old 03-11-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Yamnar has several main service/import centers in europe. The nearest to me is in Spain

Then the dealers all over in each Country. The nearest to me 1 mile!!!!

I had an engine mount broken from overtightening, when they installed it. I complained on a Thursday morning to the dealer near my boat, he called Spain that same instance and the monut was sent the same day from Spain.
Installed Friday at 2 pm and I was off to sea at 2:30pm!!!!!!1

They sent me a voucher for a free oil change and service and a leather organizer!!!

Beat that!!!?????!!! (previous experience) Volvo...IN MY MARINA!!!! wouln't even answer the phone...had to go there 5 times call the guy....they didn't show up for 2 days, replaced a part under guarantee and charged me for man hours!!!!!

Thus my bias
Old 03-11-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcorvette1995
I replaced my old engine with a Yanmar 3YM20 2 years ago and have been very happy with the new engine since. They also have the 3YM30 which is 30 HP.

One thing to keep in mind when you put in a new engine is that there are a lot of additional parts to buy: shaft, exhaust, thru-hull, custom engine mount, engine bed glass work, etc... etc... The price does add up. The labor is also very expensive if you can't do the work yourself.

That being said, is it worth it?
You bet!
Knowing that the engine will start on the first twist of the key is wonderful peace of mind. It is also auto bleeding which is an excellent feature.

Todd
After reading three pages of really helpful comments..Will talk to the dealer tomorrow morning..I'm focusing on the Yanmar 4JH4-E...56 HP..50 continuous...makes sense for my boat..optimistic about engine bed footprint being fairly compatible.."We'll see tomorrow..Thanks for ALL the comments
Old 03-11-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
After reading three pages of really helpful comments..Will talk to the dealer tomorrow morning..I'm focusing on the Yanmar 4JH4-E...56 HP..50 continuous...makes sense for my boat..optimistic about engine bed footprint being fairly compatible.."We'll see tomorrow..Thanks for ALL the comments
If you want I can post some photos of the installation of mine in a new boat
Old 03-11-2007
Larus Marinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta
If you want I can post some photos of the installation of mine in a new boat
Please do Giu. I might get some ideas from it. Most of my new installation I will be doing myself.
Old 03-11-2007
Larus Marinus

Quote:
The 40 HP..Yanmar is the 3jh4E but I figured I'd go up one notch to the4jH4E...54 HP...50hp continuous..In the scheme of things..whatever the extra cost..for the additional power..I would have no regrets..particularly in a difficult seaway..I'll keep the thread posted seeing the dealer tomorrow
Oh! I forgot to suggest that you check all the extras needed, especially the propellor.