Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2007

Goodnewsboy is on a distinguished road
In response to Giuletta's comment about a marine diesel engine built "from scratch", it seems to me that all of them begin life as a general purpose basic engine, and are thereafter modified to suit particular applications. As an example, my little 2GM has cousins driving generators in marine and land-based service.

The great virtue in this is that a particular basic engine design can be manufactured in great numbers (the marine market is pretty small) and their worth can be proven by many operating hours accumulated in all kinds of applications.

Now what makes a good marine engine? I submit that it is the care with which the engine is outfitted for marine service. Everything part except the basic block and heads is usually a marine specific part. In that respect, Yanmar excels. I am continually impressed with the obvious care in engineering, manufacture, and materials that go into its marine line.

A practical measure of engineering lies in what it takes to repair something. When I bought my present boat, the little Yanmar was seized up as a result of having its combustion chambers filled with antifreeze solution several years earlier. I anticipated total replacement. When I opened it up however, I found that a new set of sleeves, piston assemblies, head and pan gaskets were all that was required to repair the corrosion damage. I didn't even have to have the head machined. (It wasn't all beer and skittles, I also replaced a lot of filters, belts, air silencer and so forth.) With new paint, it looks and runs like a new engine.

Yanmar is also a leading manufacturer of other diesel powered equipment, including tractors. See:
http://www.ask.com/web?q=yanmar+trac...rc=0&o=0&l=dir
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-12-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiens
Please do Giu. I might get some ideas from it. Most of my new installation I will be doing myself.
OK...sorry for the dust... Remember mine is a SD50 racing saildrive, longer and thiner.

OK here is the Yanmar engine mount, that you fibergalss pretty much where you want to. We installed it as far forward as we could. It was cut to follow the descent of the hull.

Same as above but top view..the round part is where the seal of the saildrive goes. Note it is not at its final location.

Bellow it already in its place, between the 2 rear cabins, wood is for mould. That central compartment was kept free and is used to store sails etc. Goes from the «back of the engine all the way to the transom. My idea.

Here you can see the engine at the end of the corridor, and my first Glass fiber Rudder quadrant. (rudder is controlled by lightweight Dyneema cables). The new one is Carbon fiber.

Engine compartment and storage

View from inside with stairs up. Yes I use cheap light car batteries get over it!!!

Engine controls near Stbd wheel.

saildrive and racing fold prop, by Gori.

and here a view of said locker full of crapp I have to carry when we cruise....

Hope it helps, if you have more questions..please don't hesitate

G

Last edited by Giulietta; 03-12-2007 at 12:30 AM.
Old 03-12-2007
Larus Marinus

Idiens is on a distinguished road
Thanks Giu, I see you can access the engine from the front easily from under the stairs. Can you also access other parts also?
Old 03-12-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiens
Thanks Giu, I see you can access the engine from the front easily from under the stairs. Can you also access other parts also?
You can access from the sides thru removable panels on the walls of the rear cabins. thru the front as you can see, from behind thru the corridor, and from the top.

The idea was to have full access everywhere...yanmar thanks..they say its one of the most accessible they have seen.

I posted more above, check them
Old 03-12-2007

Tom967 is on a distinguished road
Talked to my mechanic today..at the Marina ...As I suspected the Yanmar 4JH3E made a lot of sense..Engine..wire harness freight etc..about $11.3 with freight and make sense few options.. etc...

Drive line $250 ...prop $300.."extra expense

I'll have to do some engine bed modification...but a real ball breaker is...new exhaust system...probably run $1000.00...Mine is 2.5 "..on the volvo...The Yanmar requires 3" system..."Not a difficult job..I can do that myself..within a few hours...

So i"ts not going to be cheap...lot of the dirty work done by me...but once you make up your mind...no point in nickle and diming...The old engine esentially worth zip..."It is what it is"

Mark is a good guy has a great reputation here at the Marina..and on the Island...

After old engine out...clean and paint bilge area below the engine...Modify the strainer position and Racor as required..

"Ought to be fun,,did everything else on boat myself.."An engine worthy of my twin 4D... AGM Concord Heartline batteries...

Like to get Opinions..The acceptance rate of charge on AGM's is 4 times faster than wet cells...twice Gel batteries.."One of the real benefits of AGM's...as I understand it...So rather than spend an additional $185.00 for the 80 amp alternator...staying with the standard 60..plus I have a rather efficient wind generator.."So I figured just peeing money away?

Although I do not have hot water heater..ordered the hot water kit with valve..Anyone have any feedback on that ..and how it interfaces with additional required equipment..would appreciate feedback on that issue too.?

I didn't order any added pulleys..have external gas generator..and external air conditioning..The compressor to run refrigeration was shot..

but can do that off 3KW invertor or my generator..."only a half hr on the cold plates...required..every other day

Thoughts welcomed
Old 03-12-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom967
...new exhaust system...probably run $1000.00...Mine is 2.5 "..on the volvo...The Yanmar requires 3" system..."Not a difficult job..I can do that myself..within a few hours...
Maybe I did not understand your point, which may be the case

My exhaust for my Yanmar cost less then $300.

It consists of a rubber tube page 143, for exhausts from Vetus, a chrome exhaust exit mounted at the stern, a water lock exhaust box page 139, a J pipe...all cost me less that 300 Euros.

Go to catalog, index exhaust sustem to see parts I used

Why is your $1000???

Check out Vetus...do you have that ion the US??

Last edited by Giulietta; 03-12-2007 at 11:21 PM.
Old 03-13-2007

sonofasailorsailing is on a distinguished road
Volvo MD3B to Yanmar 3GM30F

I did exactly what you are contemplating about eight months ago. My 1970's Volvo gave up the ghost on a trip up the intracoastal. Thank heavens for BOATUS towing insurance, but that's another story. Here's this one:

My mechanic recommended the Yanmar. It is smaller than the Volvo, weighs less, produces 30 hp but that is directly to the shaft (Volvo was 37hp but that was supposedly before transmission.) He told me that the Yanmar would do the job. Well, it turns out that it was a good thing we did. The engine stringers the Volvo was mounted to, it turns out they were not attached to the boat. Yes, that's right, the weight of the engine was all that was holding it in place. Could have been a bit dicey it it had decided to let go (How long can you tread water?)

Ok, brass tacks...how much? New engine and transmission $7,500, fiberglass work, parts, labor, six weeks on the hard, etc. an additional $7500. The knowledge that the motor is safe, efficient, reliable...priceless! We now have around 60 hours on her and she can move us. 12000 pounds of boat. I don't know if your Volvo was set up the same as ours, and this was perhaps the hardest thing to get used to, We ould cruise at 1500 rpm with the Volvo, 1800 was getting close to max. The Yanmar will cruise along at 3000 rpm, with max about 3500. Oh, one other thing...no black diesel smoke any more!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.