Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2007

Tom967 is on a distinguished road
I Want New Engine..Experience & Wisdom Welcomed

I have a Volvo MD3B..raw water cooled.."I 'm sick and tired and not going to take any more"

I have first no idea how old engine either 1975 original or 1991..saw some warantee paper to that effect..

I solved the over heating problem a year and a half ago..with muriatic acid in transmission to unclog water flow...that of course after lengthy Boat US tow

The only instrumentation that works is temp guage...

I had the head rebuilt plus head gaskets..etc..ran pretty well...Replaced Racor and all the hoses in fuel system..just this week..Now I got oil leakage...probably oil pan rusted out...which Ifear will require engne to be pulled..AND WHAT NEXT>>>Some minor smoke but no blow by...

I'm contemplating a circumnavigation end of April...I'm afraid that I've lost confidence in the engines ability to cut it....Rust factor...leaky seal potential...Even starter and generator problems..No telling how much time left on those components..Just the fear factor alone in Panama canal transit....keeps me awake at night

That's The situation..Like to hear any good buys out there on New engine packages..from those out there who are looking... or recently repowered..The current engine is 36 hp. Volvo..pushing 23,000#...."fine I guess when wind and current minimal..."When they said Aux power 30 years ago they meant it..."

So I guess it would advantage me to move up in HP...but then I guess size of engine..fitting into compartment is a major consideration...Engine..transmission and instrumentation required..........

and then how do I dispose of old engine..."I think it probably has life in her if it went to the shop..in the hands of pros.."I just don't want Engine problems in the middle of the Pacific ocean...

I wanted to talk to you guys first before approaching the diesel shop here in the marina..as a starting point..

I don't want to break the bank on this as well

Your wisdom and experience welcomed..'

Thanks

TJC

Last edited by Tom967; 03-10-2007 at 01:43 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-10-2007

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
I will be watching this thread as well, but I hope this piece of advice will help...

My diesel mechanic, when asked the similar question, said you should strongly consider taking dimensions of your current engine and replacing with something that will fit as easily as possible. In other words, a 36 hp motor, even from the same manufacture, may be very different in size and motor mounts.

He suggested this could take priority over several other factors. He spoke of several horror stories of having to do MAJOR work to make a engine fit!

Makes sense to me.

Last edited by T37Chef; 03-10-2007 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-10-2007

Goodnewsboy is on a distinguished road
When you (justifiably, as I hear it) write off Volvo, for the most part, you will get a Japanese diesel engine that has been marinized. They are all pretty good.

You will definitely want to follow T37Chef's advice and get a dimensionally equivalent engine. Since most engines are actually smaller (for equivalent power) these days, you should be able to do it and get some extra horsepower at the same time..

For heaven's sake, get a closed cooling system.
Old 03-10-2007
Larus Marinus

Idiens is on a distinguished road
I am changing a 1977 vintage Volvo MD21A for a Yanmar 4JH4-E, both about 55 hp. Yes, the engine mountings need modification, but that would be true for any engine change. I stayed with the same hp, although I could have gone down to 36hp, they told me, it really depends on what you want to do with the engine. Anyway, the new engine is smaller and lighter and being new will generate something closer to its rated value than the 30 year old does.
Old 03-10-2007

Tom967 is on a distinguished road
The comments excellent ..pointing me in right direction..The engine bed major consideration...

Volvo 40.. is a fairly powerful engine for its size...but That 4JH4 Yanmar..might be just what I'll need...

I'm not going to rulle out The Kabotas..They are popular here in Florida..and easy on the wallet..

Then again I might get a good trade in on old engine..At my marina here in Key West..They handle Volvo and Yanmar..He can rebuild and resell my trade in ..We'll see but at leat with your help on a down wind point of sail..

thanks

TJC
Old 03-10-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Tom,
You'll need to have a bit of a search through earlier threads on engines but it was noted here a while back that certain engines have a parts supply problem in the Pacific and Asia. They were, from memory mainly the European brands but have a look for it, the info may make your decision easier. Obviously an engine based on a Japanese or Asian brand is presumably easier to obtain parts for.
Cheers

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 03-10-2007

wildcard is an unknown quantity at this point
If I rember Yanmar is first and izuzu second on world wide availability of parts. One thought, if you haven't had it yet is to replace the entire fuel system at the same time, as well as anything else down there that is old. Engine out is the very best time.
Old 03-10-2007

drynoc is on a distinguished road
Yanmar

I replaced a Volvo MD7A with a Yanmar 2GM20F - raw water to fresh water cooling. I chose the engine in part because of the Yanmar reputation, and in part because, after doing the research, I discovered that the Yanmar would fit in the Volvo's foot print. The note above is correct: replace everything. I did, and it is great that I know the set up so well, and everything is new.
Old 03-11-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Yanmar by far...best ever, light and easy. Real marine engine..designed from scratch for the sea...not land transformed in marine.
Old 03-11-2007

redcorvette1995 is on a distinguished road
I replaced my old engine with a Yanmar 3YM20 2 years ago and have been very happy with the new engine since. They also have the 3YM30 which is 30 HP.

One thing to keep in mind when you put in a new engine is that there are a lot of additional parts to buy: shaft, exhaust, thru-hull, custom engine mount, engine bed glass work, etc... etc... The price does add up. The labor is also very expensive if you can't do the work yourself.

That being said, is it worth it?
You bet!
Knowing that the engine will start on the first twist of the key is wonderful peace of mind. It is also auto bleeding which is an excellent feature.

Todd