Please introduce yourself, how long you've been sailing, your pasion & future dreams - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2007

JodyKS is on a distinguished road
Please introduce yourself, how long you've been sailing, your pasion & future dreams

I'm new to this forum, but so far I really like it.... and have much reading ahead of me. We are from Kansas with 3 boys - 9,12 & 24. We have worked hard, invested in real estate & sacrificed and now it's time to play a little... so we bought ourselves a sailboat... we are going to learn to sail here... then we might sell everything buy a live a board... and sail all over... but first things first... learning to sail... We're not rich, but we are thankful for what we have... Love and a good family is the best!

Last edited by JodyKS; 03-11-2007 at 12:33 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-11-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Kansas-that sounds like a nice dream. Similar to mine, and probably many others here. I picture life sailing, surfing(my passion), living off my savings and pension, not watching the news! Right now I have a six year old, so my girlfriend and I day sail, work, and dream of getting away. We will have a small place here in SF with a 42' cruiser somewhere else that we can fly to. Possibly, if my brother moves to the East Coast, we will buy a boat together and cruise the ICW and Caribbean. Small vacations now, retire to the boat when my son is out of high school. And have the place in SF for some land time.
If it were up to me, I would move to the boat now with my son, but I have to deal with my ex, and she would not stand for it. Plus, we have two jack russell terriers, oh no, lets not go there again.....

Vaya con Dios

Last edited by bestfriend; 03-11-2007 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-11-2007

P8dawg is on a distinguished road
Fellow Kansan

Hello fellow Kansan sailor. I have recently become the owner of an S2 8.0. I have been sailing all kinds of multihulls for years, but my family and I are looking forward to our new big boat. We sail out of the Ninnescah Yacht Club, Cheney Lake Ks. It's a mud puddle, but it's a windy mudpuddle. I'm sure there is challenging sailing almost anywhere. Good luck this season.
Old 03-11-2007

Hello P8dawg,
It's great to meet a fellow Kansan & NYC member... S2 8.0 looks like a pretty nice sailboat. We are beginners, so our starter boats are a starfish (like the sunfish) and a MacGregor 22. I certainly can understand why you and your family are looking forward to your new big boat... cause we are thrilled to start sailing with ours! We are also new members to the NYC... and have our first dock assignment on D dock, (we were low on the waiting list so we feel fortunate to get a slip at all!) We look forward to meeting you at some of the upcoming social events! We went to the lake today... hoping that the water level comes up a little more, scoping out our new slip... and planning for our deck box & dock lines. We sure are impressed with the facilities at Cheney lake... we just can't wait till it warms a bit... and we line up some sailing lessons.
Jody & Rob
Old 03-11-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Hello everyone....my name is Giu...and I haven't touched boose in 5 days....

I take pills but the dogs are still barking in my head....
Old 03-12-2007

Hello Giu!

Welcome!

Last edited by JodyKS; 03-15-2007 at 10:11 PM.
Old 03-12-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Josť??? is that you??? my dear neighbour...how is heaven??? Is it true you see a tunnel when you go???? Did you meet God??

By the way...that thing with Marita...well...you know...she was wearing that dress...I really didn't want to do it...but...that bottle of moonshine....will you ever forgive me???

Here is a picture we took of her last week...

By the way, all is OK here except...your horse died in the fire in the barn, that was started by the burning flying parrot (that died too), as he flew while burning into the barn. He was flying away from the fire in your house that was started by your Grandma Wilma, because she and ol' Willy were smokling pot in bed...

She is OK but ol' Willy lost all his chest hair..

Gotta go now... I can ear the Poloice car's sirens...
Old 03-12-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Started when my father rented a small sloop at a local Forest Preserve. We spent about an hour just trying to make headway and we were not successful, I as about 12 at the time. Shortly after he bought a Sunfish. Than after that in '78 a Cal 25 II.

I have been hooked since I first played around on that Sunfish. I owe a lot to my Father for introducing me at an early age. He was the Capt, I was his first mate, and so I did all the work while he made all the mistakes. It was a great way to learn.

Now we cruise Lake Michigan, mostly the Southern Half.

Our dream is to someday (after retirement or after we win the lottery which ever comes first) to leave Chicago, sail the Great Lakes for a season including the North Channel, and head to the Chesapeake Bay and warmer weather. The plan is to end up somewhere in Virginia or the Carolinas.

After that, we want to become Island Hoppers and spend some time in the Bahamas.

That is our goal. Hopefully soon,........ I have to keep playing the lottery, I'm not ready for retirement, but I want to go cruising.
Old 03-12-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortjk1
Started when my father rented a small sloop at a local Forest Preserve. We spent about an hour just trying to make headway and we were not successful, I as about 12 at the time. Shortly after he bought a Sunfish. Than after that in '78 a Cal 25 II.

I have been hooked since I first played around on that Sunfish. I owe a lot to my Father for introducing me at an early age. He was the Capt, I was his first mate, and so I did all the work while he made all the mistakes. It was a great way to learn.

Now we cruise Lake Michigan, mostly the Southern Half.

Our dream is to someday (after retirement or after we win the lottery which ever comes first) to leave Chicago, sail the Great Lakes for a season including the North Channel, and head to the Chesapeake Bay and warmer weather. The plan is to end up somewhere in Virginia or the Carolinas.

After that, we want to become Island Hoppers and spend some time in the Bahamas.

That is our goal. Hopefully soon,........ I have to keep playing the lottery, I'm not ready for retirement, but I want to go cruising.
Sailortjk1...

That's a great story... My dad means everything to me... unfortunately he didn't start sailing... I'm in the flat lands of Kansas... I think my family thought I was kinda crazy getting a sailboat here! I've been on a Starfish 2-3 times and I love it... We have a Macgregor 22 as our starting boat, and plan to learn to sail now... then coastal cruise later... you are LUCKY to be up on Lake Michigan... I bet it's beautiful up there... My parents met in Glenview... N of Chicago... they mentioned the forest preserves were pretty cool....
It's nice that you wrote.... Good luck to you!
Old 03-12-2007

donrr1 is on a distinguished road
Hello Jody, welcome to this raucus sideshow (at times) called Sailnet! I started sailing right after leaving the Navy in 1980. It was a 12' single hull, I don't recall the name, that I used to rent at Lake Wallwnpaupack in NE Pa. Since then I've owned canoes, inner tubes (for the Delaware river, 3 of them with a plywood bottom floats a 1/2 keg nicely, don't try that now tho, Uncle Sam is watching...) a 19' runabout, a 29' cruiser, a 25' cuddy, and now the pround owner of a 41' Morgan ketch that is going to take us (Wanda and I) to faraway places in a couple of years. The only boat I still don't have is the 19' runabout, I guess that makes me a commodor, whooooppeeeee! I've sailed the Morgan on the Magathy River off the Chesapeake Bay twice so far and she is sweet. I've just removed the old engine and in two weeks I will be sailing her to Middle River where she will be berthed during the refit.

Wanda retires in two years and right now resides in Albequerque, NM. I will be fixing up the boat in the meantime. We will probably spend a season on the Chesapeake to shakedown the boat and the sailors. Then off to the Icw and points beyond as we get more comfortable and seasoned. We have had this dream for quite some time. I have ever since I was in the Navy, I knew after that experience that I would have to get back to the Carribean on my 'own time' someday. The journey is just now beginning in earnest for us. Excitement about it has rejuvinated this soul I can tell you. Live the dream Jody!

Don

P.S. I'll wait until the thread gets more out of hand to become a joker, although Giu has already put the pressure on it.