What is the coolest neatest place you've sailed or boated... - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2007

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Peace

Somerset Reservoir in Southern Vermont 15 or so years ago by paddling a canoe and a sailing Siren 17 a couple of different years. It's a New England Power Company water power holding pond that is on the back side of Mt. Snow ski area and only accessable by a 10 mile long poorly marked dirt road that only the locals know about. Loons, Ospray, Beaver, etc..... it's out there.....
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2007

CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
Or Boated!?

Well, since boating is included we just can't leave out an extended 9 day canoe trip around the famed Bowron Lake Chain in north central British Columbia, Canada. They don't call it Super Natural B.C. for nothing, this trip is mind blowing and a bit physically challenging, but I was so impressed with it on a September trip that I did it again the following June. They come from all over the world to do this trip and I was probably the only home grown boater there. I had beautiful weather both trips but not all are this fortunate. Majestic mountains on all sides and a few gruelling portages, the experience of a lifetime! Highly recomended but make sure you are young enough or physically fit, it is not for the faint of heart.
Old 03-13-2007

TAREUA is on a distinguished road
Hiva Oa In The Marquesas Was Pretty Special. After 24 And A Half Days At Sea On A 29' Boat My Wife And I Were In A Really Nice Routine And Very Comfortable. I Didn't Feel Any Hurry To Be Back Ashore, But Then As The Island Approached, Two White Dolphins Met The Boat And Rode Our Bow For An Hour. The Approach To The Harbor Is In To A Large Bay And Then There Is A Small Opening To The Inner Anchorage. The Scent Of The Flowers And Fruit Trees Even More Than The Sight Of Them Was Indescribable After Weeks At Sea, And They Were Only A Few Yards Away From Our Deck. You Could Feel The Heat Coming Off The Land On Your Skin. We Anchored And A Friend From Mexico Came Out On His Dinghy To Take Our Stern Anchor And To Deliver Two Cold Beers. That Was A Pretty Good One.
Old 03-13-2007

wildcard is an unknown quantity at this point
Some of my favorite places include my current work location, Culebra Puerto Rico. I go to work via boat most days and work weekends running a dive boat. Pretty awsome! Hawaii is spetacular. My new to me 35 footer is there awaiting my return for some interisle cruzin. But my all time favorite of the places Ive been via water is the inside passage of the PNW. I have run my commercial fishing boat from California to Alaska solo three times now. AWSOME! I now need to do it with my sailboat, tender and dive gear. BTW I also find Alaskas diveing to be as good or better then the rest of the places I mentioned.
Old 03-13-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
1) Key West
2) Ogunquit, Maine
3) South Haven, MI (with Denr!) And no, we were not on his fleet of Mac 26's.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 03-13-2007

sailor25b is on a distinguished road
I don't know about the most beautiful, but definitely the "coolest" place for me was onetime sailing & motoring down the East River in New York City with a few friends on a Friday night. We had the river to ourselves at dusk, and it was like our own private water highway, parallel to the FDR Drive, loaded with cars. We felt priviledged and special as we coasted south, eye level with the bumper-to-bumper traffic. A couple of my buddies hopped off under the Williamsburg Bridge and ran into Chinatown, where they brought back two boxes loaded with authentic Chinese food. We continued on to the Statue of Liberty, anchored, and had the best feast we've ever had onboard, with a view to match. New York City may not be the most beautiful place to sail, but it is cool!
Old 03-13-2007

sailor25b is on a distinguished road
On second thought, that would have been the Manhattan Bridge, not the Williamsburg!
Old 03-13-2007
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Monhegan Island just south of Muscongus Bay in Maine. It's an artists colony with a small harbor. There are only about 2-3 mechanized vehicles on the island and tons of galleries and Bed and Breakfasts. Apparently, a few years ago there wasn't an ATM machine but now they have one. A few ferries come in from the mainland to bring people and supplies. There's a lighthouse at the top of the hill on the Island that you can hike to, and there's a little museum there too. You walk along the dirt paths throughtout the island and there are artists painting, drawing, etc. Very neat place. http://www.monhegan.com/
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 03-13-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A mountain top lake up in NH, where I first got bit by the sailing bug...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-13-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Here is a little different background for you...

Having to travel all over the World on work, I spend my vacations at home, in sunny Portugal, and from there we cruise into the Med, often. We spend about 2 months cruising every year, August and September, since 1990.

My favorite place is a hiden sand bank, that is a natural reserve (only sailboats allowed), that you can moor as long as you want to. It has one of europe's richest fish maternities, has dolphins (they go there to reproduce), and also a bird sanctuary. Its called "Ilha da Culatra" (Culatra Island). Its one of the quiest places on earth, and you can enjoy primitive living...we spend weeks without shoes or other clothes than our shorts..
We have the beach for ourselves for days and days and days...a boat comes daily to sell water for the boat's tanks, and you can ask the guy to buy you groceries!!!
The water is clean and warm, and has one of the best quality of shelfish (conquilha in Portuguese) that we pick (fishing is legal as long as its not commercial), daily and my wife cooks with olive oil, oregano parsley and garlic . Its a hiden paradise in europe, in the Atlantic.
If you can, go to www.earth.google.com The coordinates are 37º00'11.01"N 7º49'06.49"W. If you can't here's a few photos...I really hope you enjoy...best place to be in the World, and I have been around....

Here it is from the air

Portugal. The culatra island is in the south.

closer....

Here...up close...

Giulietta on the hook...

Allways with kids..Fred and his best friend. that cruised with us 2 weeks.. Check the background

Hi all....

The sunsets are breath taking...and calm...perfect for margarittas!!

Me and Luis...5 months then...

Kids picking up conquilhas!!

Thnak you for watching

Last edited by Giulietta; 03-13-2007 at 11:18 PM.