What is the coolest neatest place you've sailed or boated... - Page 4 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2007

cockeyedbob is on a distinguished road
Mother get the Kodak and make a picture.
Ya'll gonna force Bob to scrap dial-up.

Oh yeah, I forgot, whale shark off Taboga, RdeP ... BIG!
Old 03-14-2007

flomaster is on a distinguished road
Sofar, I'd have to say Hong Kong--just don't get in the water. That open market there is really something else. Never seen so much fresh fish, or other creatures for that matter. Gonna have to break out the pictures and the scanner now, I guess.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-14-2007

SailingStNick is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SailingStNick
Since I've only sailed once, it would have to be our charter in Cancun! We've taken several fishing charters out in the Gulf of Mexico, but it's not the same as sailing.
Old 03-16-2007
Cruiser/Lats and Atts TV

Moonfish is on a distinguished road
Besides my own local waters (San Juan Islands and Gulf Islands), my two favorite places I've sailed so far have been the Va'vau Group in Tonga, and the Apostle Islands in Wisconsin on Lake Superior.

Tonga was pure magic: Very remote, beautifully pristine, and pretty good sailing conditions. The Tongans are very friendly people, too. Other than the incredibly gorgeous islands and quiet anchorages, the coolest thing was meeting Webb Chiles and the Hawk of Tuonela one evening at anchor. I want to go back during the season when the Humpbacks are there.

The Apostle Islands, though only four or so hours away from Minneapolis-St. Paul, also seemed remote, pristine, and had great sailing conditions. I'll be up there again in June sailing from Bayfield, WI to Isle Royale (with the 2nd Annual Lats & Atts Cruiser's Party part of the festivities). We'll be on a Pacific Seacraft 34 from Superior Charters. Definitely looking forward to it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Always approach the dock at the speed you wish to hit it."
s/v VENUS
1978 North Sea 33 Pilothouse Cutter (Ta Chiao)

Old 03-16-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
The most memorable longish sail I've done was across the top of Australia. It was my first offshore cruise and was the point at which I knew that it was the life I wanted to lead.

My favourite average sail is heading due east out of Sydney Harbour on the night of the full moon. Time it right so we are headed straight at the horizon as the moon rises. On with the auto pilot and sit at the bow. Good boat, good beer, good woman. Hard to beat.

Wish List.
To cruise from Fuentarribia (sp?) on Spain's Basque Coast to La Caruna then down along the Portuguese Coast to the Med and across to the Balearic Islands. Menorca is a lovely place with a superb harbour and many small anchorages but my favourite is Formentera and Espalmador. I'll take GUI's word for the best places to see in Portugal.

Down here I want to go further afield on the North West Coast of Oz and spend a long slow cruise around Tasmania.

Into the Pacific my ideal is to sail through the Louisiades and on to the Solomons.

In America the big wish is the Juneau Passage.

Then there is Scotland and Ireland.

Whoops, nearly forgot New Zealand.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 06-22-2007

windsurfsail is on a distinguished road
my favorites...

1. Sailing "through" Guadeloupe in the Cariibbean. Actually motoring is more accurate. Guadeloupe looks like a butterfly. There is a 2.8mile mangrove river that runs through the body of the butterfly. You have to get up early after mooring at one end and await the daily opening of the draw bridges at around 5am. Other than the mosquitoes, it is a great experience.

2. Anchoring offshore of a beach in Tobago and going ashore to watch the huge leather back turtles come out of the water, slowly crawl up the beach, and start digging a hole to lay there 100 or so eggs, bury them and then return to the sea. The whole process took hours and was amazing to see.

3. Waking up in the Apostle Islands in Lake Superior and going for a kayak in the fog on a calm morning. It is incredible to see Lake Superior so calm and peaceful as the sun rises over the deeply wooded islands.
Old 06-22-2007
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
Never Been.....Want to Though.

I have dreams of a view from above and behind our boat, pulling into Bay of Virgins, Fatu Hiva after a long ride across the pacific. I do hear that you should check in first in Hiva Oa because the French are a little crazy about customs. One day.
Old 06-22-2007

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Lake Garda Italy

Winds really kick up in the afternoon. Great food, people, scenery, and sailing. Spent our honeymoon there in 2004.

Last edited by T37Chef; 06-22-2007 at 09:34 PM.
Old 06-22-2007
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
That's gorgeous. Makes me wanna go launch the boat.
Old 06-22-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Damn, that looks like a big lake... how big are those teeny sailboats in the photo??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.