SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   How do you fund your sailing... Hints, tips, just frugal? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/30262-how-do-you-fund-your-sailing-hints-tips-just-frugal.html)

JodyKS 03-14-2007 01:53 AM

How do you fund your sailing... Hints, tips, just frugal?

I have too many questions... does anyone want to share their method of funding their "Sailing Habit", or give tips on how to be frugal to make the money go farther? How much $$ minimum does it take per month.... or year to sail/ live aboard?

I will tell you how I intend to fund our live aboard sailing ..... My husband and I have been putting rentals together for 13+ years, we haven't had to punch a time clock for more than 8.... so we will probably sell them on payments with a higher interest... , and keep only the easy high proffit rentals.... We might even re-invest closer to the coast... so when ever we are wanting to be on land for a while... we just have to wait til a rental comes available.

I hope all people who want to sail full time have the opportunity.... our way I'm sure is just one way... but it's an idea that may help someone....

sailingdog 03-14-2007 02:30 AM

A lot of this depends on where you are, whether you're living on-board at the marina or on-the-hook, what boat you own, and so on.

Certain areas are more expensive than others... living at a marina is more convenient and more costly than living on-the-hook. Different boats will have different expenses.

When I leave, I am planning on living aboard, on-the-hook most of the time, and have setup the boat to be as self-sufficient as possible. I will probably have to work occassionaly to beef up the sailing kitty, but expect that for the first year or so to be spent mainly sailing.

Kacper 03-14-2007 04:43 AM

Hi JodyKS,

I make all my income passively on the Internet by selling eBooks, information products, and some affilaite programs.

Whenever I feel like, I go sailing. While I'm sailing, I'm making money.

Works for me :)

It's quite easy to set up an Internet business that makes $1-K 2K a month. I think that's more than enough to pay for some of the stuff you'll be spending on a boat.

Kacper

PBzeer 03-14-2007 06:47 AM

Here's some things you can do now, if you think you want to liveaboard.

Don't buy anything you won't use on the boat (unless you have to). Start downsizing your wants and needs, particularly your wants. Get out of debt. And obviously, put aside as much money as you can.

nicholaspalmer 03-14-2007 07:45 AM

you could always be borne rich, but I havent figured out how to go back and do that yet.

sailortjk1 03-14-2007 08:38 AM

My theory, everything I make goes into the boat. I spend every Dime I have, than I spend some more.

PBzeer 03-14-2007 08:48 AM

You'll find, particularly if you stay on the hook mostly, that your expenses become minimal. You'll also find you need less of many of the things you now have. Being frugal becomes a virtue, rather than a hardship. You become less of a consumer, no longer constantly bombarded by "buy this" or "buy that". In part because you realize you don't need every little gadget made, and in part, because you don't have the room for it anyway.

Of course, some people don't want to change their lifestyle by living aboard, and if you have the financial resources to do that, then it isn't a problem. Staying in marinas, dining out, etc..

But, it is an excellent opportunity to simplify your life, if you so choose. To achieve a sense of independence and self-sufficiency that can be a reward in itself.

norsearayder 03-14-2007 09:27 AM

most of my money ive spent on women and boets the rest ive wasted

trantor12020 03-14-2007 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JodyKS
I have too many questions... does anyone want to share their method of funding their "Sailing Habit", or give tips on how to be frugal to make the money go farther? How much $$ minimum does it take per month.... or year to sail/ live aboard?
any advice would be appreciated....

its good to have bad habits like womanising, drinking, clubbing, smoking, gambling ... then you quit all these and you suddenly find you've money for sailing ...that's if your admiral didn't get to your money before you did. :p
so the moral of the story is, there's always something you can cut back or skip or do differently to save some extra funds. question is which is important to you.

camaraderie 03-14-2007 09:55 AM

Jody..I think there are as many answers as people. It is kind of like asking how much does it cost to live in New York? How do you save enough to be able to afford it? (Assuming you cannot work from the boat)
The answer if you REALLY want to go is to eliminate every unnecessary expense from your life now and invest it. Do you smoke, have HBO, eat fast food, buy NEW cars, do you NEED a cell phone, etc.?? Are you working HARD enough to ge promoted and make more money or do you put in your time and go home? Can you do a second part-time job?
It is all about sacrificing now for what you really want in your future.