Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2007
Whampoa

Archis,

Alan at SailCraft hould be able to recommend a surveyor. I know at least one of the guys at the yard is a surveyor and I have met him and he strikes me as solid. He may also be able to recomend a delivery captain.

It cost me $5600 to truck Whampoa (40', 30,000 lbs, 50' mast) back from the northwest about 90 miles north of Seattle. I had no special permit needs.

I did the prep in terms of derigging the boat and the the yard costs to pull the mast, power wash the bottom, and assistance with the loading at the yard cost me about $500 including the travel lift time and yard labor. I pulled all the stays off for transport but you might be able to simply shrink wrap the with some padding and save some labor at each end. I am told folks do that frequently. As I have a wooden spar, I did not want to beat it to death with stays over the 3000" mile trip across country.

On the receiving end, it cost me another $500 - $750 to have the boat offloaded, 2 coats of new bottom paint applied and the boat re-launched, the mast restepped and rig re-adjusted after I refinished it.

Sailcraft has the equipment to unstep the mast and load the boat on the truck for you if that is the course you decide on.

Camaraderies's suggested stops look reasonable. My conservative suggestions were based on your experience level, wx this time of year, and the route.

What ever you decide on, enjoy your new boat.

Regards, John
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2007

Archis is on a distinguished road
Whampoa I'll call Alan down at sailcraft for more info. That's where we will get the survey done.

What is the best season to make this move?
Old 03-16-2007
Whampoa

Archis, as spring is coming quickly I would think mid- late April would be a good time. When does it begin to warm up and settle down in Baltimore?

The Wx here is improving but still swinging from winter to spring every few days. Yesterday we had close to 80 and sunny , today we have 50 and rainy.
Old 03-16-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Archis...I'd wait till April given your experience and desire for a smooth trip.
Old 03-16-2007

March is crazy here, rain and snow today, mid 60's yesterday. Most folks I know are in by April to Mid April.

How about later in the year, say June July or August?

Anybody have any recommendations on a good guide to ICW? I'd be looking for Marina, fuel info etc.

As always, thanks for your help.
Old 03-16-2007
Whampoa

Archis a local Oriental link to help you watch the WX.

http://towndock.net/weather/oriental.nc.html
Old 03-16-2007
Space cadet

Jotun is on a distinguished road
What about splitting the trip in two? Do the Oriental to Deltaville leg one long weekend, then Deltaville to Baltimore on another.
Old 03-16-2007

Whampoa thanks for the link, I'm real familiar with Towndock since we own a cottage in town. It's a great site, too bad their not updating as often as they once did.

Jotun splitting it in two or three has crossed my mind.
Old 03-16-2007
Trim for Sail

uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about
I mapped Cams route on google earth and it looks like an awesome adventure!
I would take my time (providing you can) and enjoy the journey!
Old 03-18-2007

Loewe is on a distinguished road
Have a very flexible schedule with regard to the bridges S of Portsmouth. Check your NTM's and plan around the "normal" opening schedules. Malfunctions and closures are common. Remember almost none of your commercial traffic will answer you on 16. 13 is the channel and as long as you contact them first and are respectful of their professional vs your recreational mariner staus, they are great folks to be on the water with. Remember also the 500yard NVPZ and obey it! Took the Stark/Cole incidents to bring about a common sense practice, but like grandpa said, "that there common sense aint so common!" If you decide to stopover in our area give a shout. We are just abeam the "16" in the Hampton Reach.
Regards,
Red

Last edited by Loewe; 03-19-2007 at 04:50 PM.