Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2007

Archis is on a distinguished road
Oriental to Baltimore

Does anybody know how many days it would take to move a sailboat from Oriental to Baltimore? The boat will motor around 6kts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-15-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
8 days...sticking to daylight hours and making 50-60 miles a day.
Old 03-15-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Archis-

It is unwise to think that the boat will make six knots when you're motoring, since the tidal currents may have a significant impact on that... I don't know how strong the tidal currents are in that region, as I don't generally sail it much...

IMHO, motoring 10-12 hours a day is going to require a good autopilot or some crew. It will be pretty monotonous otherwise.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-16-2007
Whampoa

Archis,

A quick plot shows 325-350 NM from Oriental. As you may know, there are some large bodies of water to traverse on that route. This time of year the fronts dropping down from the N and NE can make the route pretty sporty.

Are you planning to have a delivery captain move the boat or will you do it yourself? From a few of your other posts I have the impression this may be your first boat and I am not clear how much experience you have. If you plan to take the boat, will you have an experienced crew and if so how many.

Camaraderie's estimate of 50-60 miles per day might be a bit much if you are new to the boat and your crew is not sufficiently experienced. sailingdog makes good points about your planned cruising speed. While the tides in the Pamlico and Albemarle Sounds are mostly wind driven a large portion of your planned trip is up the Chesapeake Bay. A quick look at Reed's for he East Coast suggests tides in the 1-3 knot range.

A more conservative 30-40 N miles per day might be advisable as a planning estimate. Then you should build in a number of weather days when you won't be able to move.

Anyway, a few thoughts from another Oriental boatowner.

Good Luck on your trip. Be safe and don't push a bad position just to get there. Leave yourself plenty of time and the trip should be a real nice adventure as spring comes on.
Old 03-16-2007

Whampoa thanks for your input, yes I am a first time boat owner. 7 to 8 days is going to be too long for me and my buddy (the experienced skipper) to bring her up due to the time commitment. We'll probably split it with a delivery captain.

Do you have any recommondations for a captain and yard in ONC?
Old 03-16-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
How big is the sailboat in question. Unless it is a larger boat, moving it overland via truck may be faster, cheaper and simpler.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-16-2007
Whampoa

Sorry, I don't have a recommendation for a delivery captain. I can recommend Sailcraft Services in Oriental on Whittaker Creek. I have worked with them since bringing my boat to Oriental last July. Talk to Cathy in the office or Alan the owner and you will find them helpful.

sailingdog's idea may have merit for you. I trucked Whampoa back from La Conner WA last July without any problem. The firm I used was out of Washington, NC and have worked with Alan and the SailCraft Services yard before. Alan may be able to recommend other maritime trucking companies as well.

The firm in Washington, NC was Deepwater Transport. I found them by contacting Rob Lee at Martime Transport up in Mass. He was recommended to me by the Crocker Boat Yard. Rob is now providing brokering services for maritime transports.

Sailingdog, you might have the best idea here....Archis, looking at the weather along the East coast today give you an idea of the mess you can find yourself in this time of year.
Old 03-16-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Archis...how big is the boat? For reference....
day1...Oriental to Bellhaven
day2...Bellhaven to Alligator River Marina/or anchorage
day3...to Coinjock
day4...to Norfolk (requires early start to clear bridges)
day5...to Deltaville or Reedville VA depending on progress
day6...to Solomons
day7...to Annapolis
day8...to Baltimore

As an alternative...once you hit Norfolk, you could head up the Bay round the clock without stopping, taking turns keeping watch and be in Baltimore in 24 hours....making it a 5-6 day trip with weather cooperating.
At least the stops above will give you some idea of what some good places to exchange duties with a hired captain would be.
Old 03-16-2007

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
How big is the sailboat in question. Unless it is a larger boat, moving it overland via truck may be faster, cheaper and simpler.
SD may have your best option there. When I traded in my c320 (RI) for my NC331 (Annap) the math of the self delivery of my c320 to Annap proved un-doable because of the time and fuel tank size so I had it trucked down $$$$ 5,000 $$$$ - but the cost of a delivery captian was also way into the obscenity range. On the other hand I did self deliver my NC331 because being a motor sailer with extra power and fuel capacity I could maintain 6+ kts for the daylight delivery to RI. I would have echoed Cam's early (first) response not knowing all the circumstances because to me 8 hrs is a 'day sail' and on a 'point A to point B' cruise or delivery means 10-12 hrs to me also....... But...because you and the boat are new to each other the caution of shorter days is probably in order if you decide to move it that way. Even though I expected to beat my estimates though I always plan on short legs, push hard, and then have plenty of wiggle room if it hits the fan.
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI

Last edited by christyleigh; 03-16-2007 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-16-2007

It's a 33 foot pearson currently with a 15 gallon tank. At this point I have three options.

Option 1 is Overland. I called an overland company and they wanted $1700 for the haul and a $1000.00 for the prep. Does that seem reasonable? I'll call some more if you folks think I can get a better price. If I could get her up here by truck for around 2k or less, that would make this option attractive.

Option 2 would be hire a delivery captain and bring her up as weather permits this season. With the correct timing I could get my buddy to captain the last several days of the trip. I've heard quotes of around $250 a day for a captain, does that seem about right?

Option 3 would be to keep her in Oriental this year. I can work on her and sail her this season down there to get familiar with her. Then I can bring her up next year myself.

Whampoa thanks for the sailcraft recommendation. Your the second person to recommend them. I'll call deepwater for a hauling quote. Any suggestions for a surveryor in ONC?

Cam thanks for the sailplan, that helps a lot.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.