Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Sailing lessons for the wife?

My wife really enjoys sailing and all things water. She surfs, kiteboards, swims, etc. But when it comes to the boat, she is having a hard time, not one of those that can remember what everything is called, what line to pull when, what gets attached to what. Shes not very confident. I would love to save money and have her learn from me, but its not that easy when its just the two of you out in the Bay and she will learn all my bad habits and incorrect sailing technique.
So, what should I do? I am considering two options. First, hire a captain and have him/her teach my wife on our boat. There are a few very good instructors and captains floating around here and it would be cheaper. OR second, go to school. She doesn't want to go alone, so I would go through it all with her, expensive. But, it would be a good refresher for me and I would like to be able to charter boats elsewhere. She is deferring the decision to me. Any experiences welcome.

Vaya con Dios
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-15-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
I think we all have bad habits we pick up over the years. Later this year, I am leaving for the Carribbean. I too, was thinking of taking a class or two, in an effor to "fix" some things. I took a coastal navagation course this past weekend.
I say go for it and think about all the fun you'll have after she learns.
Old 03-15-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Free, how was the nav course? I want to take one of those someday.

Vaya con Dios
Old 03-15-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I would recommend that you send her to an all-women's sailing course. They have quite a few of them out now-a-days. It would be better if she went by herself, and learned as much as possible, as independently as possible, since there may be a time where she may have to sail the boat by herself...say in the case of MOB...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-15-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
If your doing any kind of cruising I highly reconmend it. We had a very good teacher. The course is not easy, my head still hurts. I will take the asa test in the next week or so. But I swore I heard people chanting "thank god for gps" on the way out.

Fair Winds
Old 03-15-2007

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Their is a school locally, NW Wa St that has womens only weekends, but as soon as they ammounce the trips, the spaces are gone. I will not say the name, as I am trying to figure out how to get my wonderful spouse on the added on trip to the original!

In FL is Offshoresailing school, run by the Colgates, they have a few weeklong womens only courses also.

This is what I ahve found if looking for womens only courses.

marty
Old 03-15-2007
Hitchin' a ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski
Their is a school locally, NW Wa St that has womens only weekends, but as soon as they ammounce the trips, the spaces are gone. I will not say the name, as I am trying to figure out how to get my wonderful spouse on the added on trip to the original!

In FL is Offshoresailing school, run by the Colgates, they have a few weeklong womens only courses also.

This is what I ahve found if looking for womens only courses.

marty
thanks Marty, but she wants me to go too. And FYI there was another thread a while back about those women only schools and the male instructors....you get my drift
If we go, it will be OCSC. Good location, instructors, programs, and they sail J105s.

Vaya con Dios
Old 03-15-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Come over to Portugal...a friend of mine owns a sailing school that teaches sailing in JOD's 35, and Gib Sea 421. He has also 3 Brentas in case you want to lear how to race while she learns.. Courses are Basic Skipper, Coastal Skipper, Coastal unrestricted Skipper, Oceanic.

You can stay at my house...and sail on my boat....

Last edited by Giulietta; 03-15-2007 at 11:29 PM.
Old 03-15-2007
Hitchin' a ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta
Come over to Portugal...a friend of mine owns a sailing school that taches sailing in JOD's 35, and Gib Sea 421. He has also 3 Brentas in case you want to lear how to race while she learns..

You can stay at my house...and sail on my boat....
Thanks G thats very generous of you. Whats the catch? Installing a TV, greasing a mechanical bull, shopping for your leather items?
I may take you up on that, the sailing part that is. Which reminds me, did you get my invite to SF via PM?
Does your friend have a website?

Vaya con Dios
Old 03-15-2007

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Ah those male sailing instructors..... there is supposed to be the same problem in the snow ski industry......I still have not taken of with any of the women students in 27 yrs of teaching...........I must be stupid, or ugly! lets not go there!

The weekend one I am trying to get spouse on, I think the only male is a spouse of one of the women, and an owner!

Gui,

Is the JOD 35 one of the Jeanneau one designs? I have not seen one, but have heard they are pretty good/fast sailors for the time of their design. My Arcadia is quick for a 30'r.

Marty