Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2007
Helms ALee!

tenuki will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by akoutdoors1
Sorry folks, sometimes my dog gets on here and rants. He needs therapy.
My logistics are worked out. If I run into any trouble with them, I'll ask. I really will. Of course, I'll ask about something like how much denatured alchohol to bring and, instead, someone will tell me I'm irresponsible because I should take two stocking caps.
Actually I would recommend buying some high proof everclear instead of denatured alcholol, works just as well and isn't poison. Heck you can drink it. Unforunately it's not available in Washington state, but I think you can get it in BC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-05-2007

Goodnewsboy is on a distinguished road
Cape Cod Goldeneye will do everything you want except easy beaching. You will have to step off into the water.
Goldeneye
Old 05-06-2007
Trim for Sail

uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about
check out this little beauty
Old 10-02-2007

roland50 is on a distinguished road
well from what i've read your gona learn to sail as you go on the trip, good for you, my first boat was a 1971 veture small cabin, 600 lbs swing keel,with a 9.9 merc out board, i watched sail lesons vidioes and went out on the water,
off coast of florida, and survived happily, i moved up to a 85 mac 25' heavier keel swing also good in 18 inches of water and beaching,enough styrofoan to float it with hull blown out [suposedly if it all still there] , comfy to live in,for 3mo. if your an adventurer as you seem to be, there available with trailers and in your bugetin winter time try ebay, a strong 1/2 ton pick up will pull it, try to sail a few weekend b4 you go out for 3 months solo, good luck
Old 10-12-2007

karlheinz is on a distinguished road
worth a look at, Sea Pearl, or a Drascombe would be the best choice I think.
Old 10-12-2007

Sasha_V will become famous soon enough
The endeavour 24 would do it for you...And be within your budget...But the nearest one to you is hard to find, and the ones that are for sale are here in Australia.

I think you need to seriously consider the notion of beachable vs keelboat. A keelboat will do all the other stuff you want better, and given the nature of the beaches and the isolation up there, I would not be ina hurry to beach my only means of transport, given that a change int he weather could beat the crap out of it in very short order and reduce it to confetti on the beach while I stood helplessy by.

Of course, anchoring your only means of transport and going dinghying into land when you are single handing and there is no source of help should you get flipped int he dinghy or just have ti damaged on rocks or drift away because you got carelkess is also a bit fraught.

Still, all in all, I would advise getting a boat that is competent and uncompromising at sailing (points the highest into the wind being the main consideration for sailing in the area you are describing) and then park it in safe_is) deep_is) water when you want to dinghy over to land.

A notion to play with that a friend recently came up with for his dinghy (after rupturing it 18 different times on the sharp shale of his beach) was to inflate the dinghy with two-part expanding foam. It made the dinghy a bit heavier (about 10kg more) but it now doesn't give a damn about running onto sharp rocks, and since he tows it with the bow up and out of the water tied to the pushpit, the fact it no longer deflates makes no difference at all.

Sasha
Old 10-12-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Roland, Karl and Sasha-

Believe the guy has bought a boat, since he posted a thread more recent than this one about his new purchase.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-13-2007

joeasburyp is on a distinguished road
I don't recall, but has anyone mentioned twin keels or bilger type sailboat...seeing beachable keeps coming up.
Just one note on using one, bring your dingy to the hightide mark when embarking on shore...make sure boat is anchored...Make sure dingy is tied up, preferable to the boat as well.
Or you add poop dudty to your daily chores. just take a rubber mat, bring out to where your dog normaly goes, rub in some fresh stuff, clean, bring to boat and when he/she needs to go bad enough, he'll be up on that mat...you know the one you have to clean now.
Old 10-13-2007

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
I guess the way that I am reading this, your goal is to camp cruise, essentially pulling up on a beach to sleep at night. It sounds to me like you have an extremely limited budget and you are wrestling with the trade off between being able to beach the boat, and having some additional safety in the form of a ballasted keel. I can't think of any keel boat that is truely capable of being beached and slept on. I can only really think of one boat that would meet the criteria of being a truely beachable cruiser in your price range, and offering sufficient seaworthiness for what you are trying to do, and that would be the old O'day Mariner, which was a centerboard, (some were built with fixed keels used on the Rhodes 19 but that won't work for beaching) overnighter version of the Rhodes 19. You would need to look for one that has buoyancy tanks and a self bailing cockpit, which the earliest ones lacked. (Stuart Marine also built the Mariner as well) Here's an Oday version in Ohio

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...g_id=59089&url=

If you went with the Mariner you would need to rework the sail plan so that ou can easily reef and depower the sails in building conditions. Wilderness cruising like you are proposing takes a lot of sailing skill and careful preparation.

The other obstacle with beach cruising a boat this size is getting it safely up above the tide line and then back down into the water when you were ready to go. I have done a little beach cruising. It can be fun but tricky. You always seem to be wet. Boom tents help expand living space at night and modern waterproof bags help a lot.

Another way to go would be to build your own small cruiser. Phil Bolger and Charlie Wittholz both designed small plywood catboats that would work well for what you wish to do but which probably cost more to build and equip than your budget would permit, even if you used construction grade materials and did the work yourself.

Good luck, Sounds like a great adventure....
Jeff
Old 10-14-2007
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough
Realizing this is a stale thread, but...

IF I were planning this adventure -- and an adventure means uncertain outcomes with consequences for failure -- I might look very closely at a Mongomery. Lyle Hess seriously over-designed his boats. Even the 17 footer carries 600 lbs of ballast; they are beamy, therefore roomy; and the shoal keel/centerboard draws under 2'.

Can be had for your $4000 budget. Slow, but solid as can be.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.