Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2007

akoutdoors1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Long Distance Small Boat Sailing

In the Summer of 2009, I'm going to single-hand, in a sailing dinghy, Alaska's Inside Passage from Prince Rupert B.C. to as far North as I can get in three months. I'm taking my dog, who has also canoed with me on a 600 mile "solo" canoe trip in Canada. I have sponsorship of whatever gear I need- except for a boat.
That's why I'm here- asking sailnet members what boat I should consider for this trip. Here are the conditions. Mostly, the Inside Passage is protected from outside waters. There are a couple of crossings that will be exposed. There are some rocky areas.
Beach landings will be required; sail plan must be functional for light or heavy winds; trailerability; substantial balast or darn-good (single-hander) self-righting capability; self bailing cockpit; ample storage for aprox 370 lbs gear; able to claw off the wind; must be capable of storing anchoring equipment. Easy, right?
I've been looking around but haven't found what I'm looking for yet. I'd be interested in any ideas. I just ask that readers please notice what the boat must do before making a recommendation.
This trip could also use sponsorship. I'll consider any boat capable of making the trip. Thanks, and Sail ON!

Last edited by akoutdoors1; 03-20-2007 at 08:06 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
What size sailing dinghy? And what is your definition of a sailing dinghy?? Generally, sailing dinghies don't have ballast... most have a centerboard and use form stability to help reduce capsizing. If you want a ballasted boat, then it isn't a sailing dinghy.

A Laser is a sailing dinghy. A Soling is not, it is a keelboat—granted a small one...but a keelboat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 03-20-2007 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-20-2007

OK, what I'm saying is I need a boat to do the stuff I mentioned. Am I reading that you suggest a Laser or a Soling?
Old 03-20-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
No... I'm saying that in your original post... you're talking about a sailing dinghy...but you're also wanting a boat that is self-righting and/or heavily ballasted... which excludes almost every sailing dinghy I can think of... so I'm asking you to clarify your requirements...

A Catalina 25 or 22 could make that trip... if you have the necessary sailing skills... and could carry that much gear easily... and both are trailerable, although the 22 is far easier to trailer IIRC. There are probably two dozen other small trailerable boats that could do the job, given your very vague requirements..

Beachability, especially on a rocky beach, is going to be a problem for almost all of the boats... it would also help if you mentioned what your budget is.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 03-20-2007

I looked at the Catalina 22 but Practical Sailor gave it a pretty rough review. I looked at Lasers- no room for equipment storage or a dog there. The Soling I looked at was bigger and had a glassed-in keel. That's not going to work. Any other suggestions?
My budget is...cheap or sponsored. I'd pay to ship a quality boat back to the 48 states, a cheaper boat I'd sell in AK. My budget is under $4000. Taking three months off of work cuts into the boat budget.

Last edited by akoutdoors1; 03-20-2007 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-20-2007
Telstar 28

That's why I was asking you to clarify what your requirements are... I take it that it doesn't need to be a sailing dinghy. In that case, you've got a good number of choices. I was using the Laser and the Soling as stereotypes of a sailing dinghy and a keelboat to make my point. Your requirements, as I see it from your original post are:

Capable of making short exposed crossings
Beachable
Sail plan must allow reefing for heavy winds
Trailerabie
Fairly decent capsize recovery ability
Self-bailing cockpit
Storage and space for 370 lbs. gear, 1 human, 1 medium size canine
Good windward ability
Decent ground tackle

Now prioritize these...

Telstar 28
New England

Old 03-20-2007

Just reading over sailing dog's comments, there is a pivotal question here; should the trip be done in a ballasted boat (keelboat) or in a centerboard boat (dinghy). I'd love to hear from anyone who has done some extended coastal cruising in either type. What did you use? What were the pros and cons?
Old 03-20-2007
Telstar 28

Ak-

Most bigger centerboard boats aren't sailing dinghies... Sailing dingies generally have an unballasted centerboard, but also generally have no cabin, no ground tackle system, and aren't self-righting.

The trip can be done... but my guess is that most of the people who have done it, have done it in smaller keelboats, like the Flicka, Bristol Channel Cutter, and other fairly seaworthy boats, due to the nature of the conditions up there. The water, being fairly cold, presents a major hazard—hypothermia is a killer.

I took a quick look over at boats.com... and it doesn't look good. You're in much the same situation as the guys in this thread.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 03-20-2007

Following up, the boat must be one of two types.

Beachable OR Decent ground tackle (in the latter case the boat must be big enough to accomodate some type of conveyance to the beach)

Fairly decent capsize recovery ability OR Self-bailing cockpit

The rest of the requirements are inflexible:

Capable of making short exposed crossings

Sail plan must allow reefing for heavy winds

Trailerable

Storage and space for 370 lbs. gear, 1 human, 1 medium size canine

Good windward ability

So were going into one of two basic categories of boat.
Old 03-20-2007
Telstar 28

There are lots of boats that will suit those requirements... but none that will fall within your budget AFAIK.

Some possibilities could included the West Wight Potter, the Seaward Fox, the MacGregor Venture, Cape Dory Typhoon, several of the catboats, the Flicka.

I have little doubt that the Cape Dory Typhoon, the West Wight Potter, and the Flicka, could make the journey, but the others I don't know enough about...I also doubt that any of these three would ever fall in your price range, unless they were in very poor condition.

Telstar 28
New England

Last edited by sailingdog; 03-20-2007 at 09:02 PM.