Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2007
2kt wind=trolling speed

goose327 is on a distinguished road
I'd have to say it's true. At least in my case. I've been using muscles that I forgot I had and loosing weight, and my overall attitude is better since I got the boat. Then again, I led a pretty sedintary life when I was playing with power boats and fishing.
I have noticed a lot of bruises and scrapes I forget how I got, but haven't fallen in the bilge yet.

Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by goose327
I'd have to say it's true. At least in my case. I've been using muscles that I forgot I had and loosing weight, and my overall attitude is better since I got the boat. Then again, I led a pretty sedintary life when I was playing with power boats and fishing.
I have noticed a lot of bruises and scrapes I forget how I got, but haven't fallen in the bilge yet.
Goose-

I bet you do the next time you're overnighting on the boat... since you just jinxed yourself...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-22-2007

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
PBzeer-

Actually, I've seen it happen... if you spend long enough on a boat, and go back to land, the land seems like it is moving.... With one of my friends... first time they did a week-long trip.... they got back and ended up getting "seasick" on land...

It takes me about 3 days at sea to get land sick, its just feels like i'm off balance. Some might say I'm always a little off Never been sea sick, even at the tail end of a hurricane.

Dennis
Old 03-22-2007

tonic is on a distinguished road
Ya but it's nothing like being sea sick. Good God that's horrible. PEACE happy sailing.
Old 03-22-2007

tonic is on a distinguished road
Whether I'm sailing or working on my boat or fishing on my friends 12 ft. rowboat I forget about everything it is my true realease. Does that make me healthier hell ya. Water is a true power it truelly free's up the mind body and soul. PEACE HAPPY SAILING.
Old 03-22-2007

Artwerke is on a distinguished road
Getting your land legs back is just like getting your sea legs,Uncle Sam taught me that.When the fleet comes in , watch the salts stagger to the bar. Art.
Old 03-23-2007

catamarans is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinJay
I would wholeheartedly agree with this...except when you slip and fall into the bilge and tear the medial meniscus in your right knee.
I just had knee surgery three weeks ago to realign my patella. I didn't injure myself on a boat though.. What you typed just made me cringe.

Anyway, here is the link to the article sailingdog:

http://www.nmma.org/press/local/down...nts/health.pdf

Enjoy!
Old 03-23-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Aside from the obvious benefits obtained from sea air and related exercise, I recall reading results of a similar survey some years ago, which correlated another statistic.

Most boat owners are of medium income or above, in order to afford this expensive sport. Therefore, typically consisting of a higher percentage of college graduates, over the "average" non-boater. People of higher education and greater reasoning skills, know best how to remain healthy, throughout their lives.

On the other hand, I also had lateral and medial miniscus tears surgically repaired on BOTH knees, as a result of separate falls from my boats . . . occuring through my stupidity while on the hard. That disproves the smart gene theory.
Old 03-23-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
TB-

Umm... maybe you need to wear a PFD, harness and tether all the time... even at home...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-23-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Yea, but that just takes away the element of surprise.