Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2007

mwrohde is on a distinguished road
Fell in

I've spent weekends over the last five months applying what little I know about sailing (very small boats, long ago) to sailing my new (to me) Cal 27. I've been mostly doing it alone because my family won't sail in the cold. I've been very consciously adding not more than one new thing per sailing episode in an effort to not over extend my limited knowledge. It works out fine; I get to try stuff and learn without anyone watching me struggle. I'm much better now for it and look much smoother in their eyes.

This evening I took my kids (8 and 10) out on the lake. My new thing tonight was to be towing a canoe. This is my "launch" so we can do some playing on the islands in the lake. To help captivate the kids we're doing some geo cache searching. The plan tonight was to tow the canoe, sail to a cache, drop the anchor, paddle to shore, and find the cache.

Before we left the dock I paddled the canoe over to the stern of my boat, leaned over to grab the ladder, and fell right in the damn lake!

As soon as the kids realized I was ok they howled laughing.

Fortunately, my cold weather clothes were still on the boat. I stripped out of the wet stuff, put on some dry stuff, and we still achieved our objective. We'll be back at it this weekend.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
LOL... you're lucky you're as far south as you are... if you fell in the water up here, you'd be in a lot of trouble. Canoes aren't the best of choices when it comes to tenders.

Geocaching is a lot of fun...but you need a good GPS. Do you have any "bugs" in the box?

Get a dry bag and carry two spare sets of clothes in it... that way, even if you fall in carrying it... the clothes will stay dry. I leave a full set of dry clothes on-board, including a couple of polar fleece shirts. They always come in useful when my crew hasn't brought enough warm clothing and the wind picks up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-22-2007

I know the canoe isn't the best choice. I'm not even sure it's a viable choice. It worked tonight, but the water was dead calm. I can't really afford anything else right now. Don't know what I'll do if it doesn't work. I'll cross that bridge later, I guess.

I don't know what you mean by "bugs in the box". Help me out there?
Old 03-22-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
See this website for an explanation of a travel bug, otherwise called geobugs.

BTW, I like GladWare containers for geocaches, since they're relatively weatherproof and very inexpensive. In less protected locations, I like Tupperware containers.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Last edited by sailingdog; 03-22-2007 at 11:22 PM.
Old 03-23-2007

It dawned on me this morning that you meant travel bugs. None in this cache.
Old 03-23-2007
Swabbie

Neises is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwrohde
I can't really afford anything else right now.
You could make an outrigger for the canoe with about $25 of materials, most of which you might have in garage already.
With the two boys, you might do well to grab a second canoe from a yard sale & connect it as an outrigger while on tender duty, then seperate them at anchor, etc.
Old 03-23-2007
Telstar 28

Neises-

Admirable ideas both...but then the tender starts to get really unwieldy in size and shape...kind of like the 14' fishing boat in another thread...

Telstar 28
New England

Old 03-23-2007
Swabbie

Neises is on a distinguished road
Thanks, and very true.

Living in Georgia, there's probably a whitewater rafting livery within an hour-or-so's drive, they might sell used inflatables cheap. Might be too late in the year to go that angle though.
Old 03-23-2007
Alex, not full of crap

werebeagle will become famous soon enough werebeagle will become famous soon enough
Check craigs list. You might find something there. I was given a 8' pram by a friend who originally had it listed on craigslist for $100.

Courtney's my Dancing Angel

Where am I, and where's my paddle?
It's not impossible, it just costs more.
Give me ambiguity, or give me something else.
Old 03-23-2007

Hesper is on a distinguished road
West Marine has a two-person inflatable kayak which I bought as my tender last year. I like it a lot. It's not the driest tender out there, but it gets me where I need to go, even in the teeth of a strong cross-wind, stores inflated alongside the shrouds or packs up into a carry-bag. Takes me all of 10 minutes to inflate and deploy and the price was right.