SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

GIULIETTA's BROKE MY BOOM!!!!!!!! ouch!!!!!

7K views 66 replies 25 participants last post by  Giulietta 
#1 ·
Hey guys....

thought you'd like to see this...

Went sailing with Fred today, we were doing pretty well in the 10 to 12 kts.
We're using the cruising sails, and I was experimenting the mods I made to the genoa.

Flat seas, 22 gusting 35 knot winds..all good, we were racing and beating the crap out of a Star (they're training here for the World ISAF). A friend of mine, the Skipper of the TP52 was sailing his star, we were almost downwind 135º Deg wind from port.

Suddenly, a freak gybe, one of those you never see, the main gybes so fast, I did'n even had time to turn stabd, the boom broke 8 feet from its end. Never touched the shrouds......Ouch.... BANG...CRACKKKKKKKKKKKK

Put Fred back at the wheel, he kept his cool all the time, what a boy....rolled the genoa. jury rig the boom so we don't tear the main, we actually sailed almost 10 minutes with boom like that, so I could reinforce it and suspend the boom. Well Fred did...I was making a jury...

Lowered the main and went home...pretty pissed off..

Boom was removed today, back to factory tomorrow...we suspect manufacturing problems...lets see...its expensive...that I can tell you...

No sailing for at least 2 weeks, so Monday...back to work...until new boom arrives 2 to 3 weeks to make a new one...

Enjoy....remember..it only happens to those that sail...

I'll be in and out of here, busy...

See less See more
#2 ·
Ouch... as long as you and Fred are okay... the boom can be replaced... I was worried that it hit you're head and broke on that...:p

#5 ·
Cruisingdad said:
OUCH! That sucks. Sorry to hear about that. I guess I figured with your boat broke we would be getting photoshopped like crazy. (ahh, deep breath of relief).

Really sorry about the boat though. It is never funny when someone busts up their boat.
Damn... hadn't even thought of the photoshopping that's going to happen with the boat out of action... that's the really bad news...

#6 ·
Alex-

I think it broke where you attached your boom brake... :D

#16 ·
PBzeer said:
Glad no one got hurt. Just remember, that probably wouldn't have happened on a nice Formosa :).
Evil... funny, but evil...

#18 ·
tomaz - the Formosa is a running joke we have with Giu.

kananumpua - a preventer, also called a boom brake, basically limits the amount of travel the boom makes from one side to the other. Someone else may have a more technical explaination for you.

#24 ·
skrap - the preventer is used when you have the main swung way out, to stop it short of swinging the full distance to the other side. The mainsheet doesn't do that.

#25 ·
skrap1r0n said:
Doesn't the main sheet do that?
Not if you've got the sheet out, say on a downwind. It prevents the boom from coming all the way over on an accidental jibe and knocking you out and off the boat(and breaking other things too).

Oops, PB beat me to it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.