Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
GIULIETTA's BROKE MY BOOM!!!!!!!! ouch!!!!!

Hey guys....

thought you'd like to see this...

Went sailing with Fred today, we were doing pretty well in the 10 to 12 kts.
We're using the cruising sails, and I was experimenting the mods I made to the genoa.

Flat seas, 22 gusting 35 knot winds..all good, we were racing and beating the crap out of a Star (they're training here for the World ISAF). A friend of mine, the Skipper of the TP52 was sailing his star, we were almost downwind 135ş Deg wind from port.

Suddenly, a freak gybe, one of those you never see, the main gybes so fast, I did'n even had time to turn stabd, the boom broke 8 feet from its end. Never touched the shrouds......Ouch.... BANG...CRACKKKKKKKKKKKK

Put Fred back at the wheel, he kept his cool all the time, what a boy....rolled the genoa. jury rig the boom so we don't tear the main, we actually sailed almost 10 minutes with boom like that, so I could reinforce it and suspend the boom. Well Fred did...I was making a jury...

Lowered the main and went home...pretty pissed off..

Boom was removed today, back to factory tomorrow...we suspect manufacturing problems...lets see...its expensive...that I can tell you...

No sailing for at least 2 weeks, so Monday...back to work...until new boom arrives 2 to 3 weeks to make a new one...

Enjoy....remember..it only happens to those that sail...

I'll be in and out of here, busy...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-23-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Ouch... as long as you and Fred are okay... the boom can be replaced... I was worried that it hit you're head and broke on that...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-23-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Oh no! The Sailnet flagship is broken! That really sucks, Giu! Seriously.
I hope she gets fixed fast and you are back on the water soon. Better that is a replacable part and not something structural.

Vaya con Dios

Last edited by bestfriend; 03-23-2007 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-23-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
OUCH! That sucks. Sorry to hear about that. I guess I figured with your boat broke we would be getting photoshopped like crazy. (ahh, deep breath of relief).

Really sorry about the boat though. It is never funny when someone busts up their boat.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 03-23-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad
OUCH! That sucks. Sorry to hear about that. I guess I figured with your boat broke we would be getting photoshopped like crazy. (ahh, deep breath of relief).

Really sorry about the boat though. It is never funny when someone busts up their boat.
Damn... hadn't even thought of the photoshopping that's going to happen with the boat out of action... that's the really bad news...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 03-23-2007
Telstar 28

Alex-

I think it broke where you attached your boom brake...

Telstar 28
New England

Old 03-23-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
YEs.....I ma going to start some photoshoping...Monday I will start...
Old 03-23-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
Alex-

I think it broke where you attached your boom brake...
MAn that gybe was so violent that if I had one of those contraptions...it would have ripped the freking deck of!!!!
Old 03-23-2007

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Giu, Sorry to see & hear this
Old 03-23-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Giu,

Do you typically rig a preventer when running?

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook: