SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Effective remedies for the no-see-ems (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/30628-effective-remedies-no-see-ems.html)

sailhog 03-24-2007 11:33 AM

Effective remedies for the no-see-ems

These little buggers are driving my wife out of her mind, and it's going to put a big crimp in my time on the water if I can't find an effective way to deal with them. They're the worst on the hook at low tide in the evening and morning. I've tried the more powerful deet remedies with mixed results. Any sure-fire repellants out there?
Sailhog

Sailormon6 03-24-2007 12:21 PM

So far, I've only run into them occasionally on charter, but mosquito netting with extra fine mesh is the best defense I've found against them. I've seen some boats with canopies rigged to cover their entire cockpits. That's probably what I'd do if I was in an area where they are prevalent.

Idiens 03-24-2007 12:27 PM

Mosquito nets over the berths?

camaraderie 03-24-2007 02:58 PM

We bought a mosquito lawn "tent" from Walmart and use it to cover the Bimini when in a tough o-see-um area. They can drive you mad!!

T37Chef 03-24-2007 03:11 PM

One area of screening that is sometimes overlooked are those dorade vents, so I cut some screen material and stapled it to the underside of the trim inside the cabin. Its worked well for us. I'll be back soon, going to Walmart to buy a lawn "tent"

sailingdog 03-24-2007 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Idiens
Mosquito nets over the berths?

If you can't get the extra fine mosquito netting, put pantyhose over the ports and such as they no-see-ums can't generally get through it. Also, citronella candles seem to work to repel them fairly well. Coating the pantyhose with Avon's Skin So Soft lotion works pretty well to.

Sailormon6 03-24-2007 05:06 PM

On my previous boat I made simple screens by cutting a rectangular shaped pieced of fine mesh mosquito netting big enough to cover the companionway hatch. Then I stitched 3/8" nylon line all around rthe perimeter of it. When I laid it over the hatch, the weight of the nylon line held it in place.

I also made similar screens for the Lewmar hatches. They were in the shape of 3 dimensional triangles, with mesh covering the open part of the hatch, and the main body of the device was made of rip stop nylon. They also had 3/8" line around the base, to hold them in place. Those allowed me to leave all the hatches open for ventilation in a noseeum area.

sailhog 03-24-2007 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingdog
Coating the pantyhose with Avon's Skin So Soft lotion works pretty well to.

SD,
This will work well when I present myself as a "pleasure hog" this summer at the various marinas along the ICW... I'll look great AND my skill will be soft. Yuk, yuk...
Thanks, bud,
Sailhog

sailingdog 03-24-2007 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailhog
SD,
This will work well when I present myself as a "pleasure hog" this summer at the various marinas along the ICW... I'll look great AND my skill will be soft. Yuk, yuk...
Thanks, bud,
Sailhog

LOL, but it won't improve your looks any... ;)

RichH 03-25-2007 01:04 PM

Noxema Skin Cream .... the 'white stuff'.
I used to travel a lot in the high latitudes where such are ferocious. There are some quite stinky 'dopes' but the best I've ever found is to apply Noxema Skin Cream (the stuff in the blue jar) and lather it on. It also works for most other biting 'flies': green heads, midges, biting house flys, etc. The 'ferocity' of flies during the day dictates how 'thick' you put it on.

Certainly you want to have any CO2 source (engine, cook stove, etc.) off!!!!

Flies also avoid 'wood smoke' ... old fashioned 'punks' and the commercial 'mosquito' rings also work, .... even when underway - just light them and put them in your on-deck / stern-rail barbecue.