Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Thumbs up Master

Bill Trayfors has just successfully renewed his 100 ton Master's license. Anyone who has gone through the process of taking or renewing a Coast Guard issued license will know the tremendous amount of studying and review this takes. It doesn't matter if you are Ferdinand Magellan, you really have to hit the books and wear out some No. 2 pencils to be ready for those exams.

Congratulations are in order. Let me be the first to toast you, Captain.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-24-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Congrats Bill.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-24-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Dittos Cap'n!!
Old 03-24-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Hear! Hear!

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 03-24-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Sail...congratulations I bet you're happy!!!

Just stay ON THAT side of the Atlantic, ok???

Here is to small for the both of us!!! And I need a lot of space to get my boat together after I gybe!!!!
Old 03-24-2007

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Hey, guys.... I sure appreciate the congrats, but it's a bit premature.

What I've done is to pass the exam for the OUPV (Operator of an Uninspected Passenger Vessel).

This is just the first step in a bunch of them to regain my 100-ton license which I very stupidly let lapse after having been licensed for over 25 years. I was under the impression that it was good for 10 years, not 5, and when I discovered the error it was more than past the 1-year grace period. Stupid, stupid, stupid. No excuse.

Don't ever do this. It means you have to start from the very beginning...no exceptions. To get the OUPV (or "6 pack") you have to pass the exam, of course, but also: a recent CPR and First Aid course, a hearing exam, an eye exam, a drug test, a physical exam, document your sea time, provide references, pay a bunch of money, etc., etc. Not fun.

Then, you need to take an upgrade exam and provide additional documentation and, if you want, additional exams for aux. sail endorsement, etc.

Altogether, a very long process.

Stay tuned :-)

Bill
Old 03-24-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
My error, Bill. I mis-read your note. That being said, I feel your pain. The Coast Guard would look at Noah and ask, "how much of that was actual sea time?" I have every confidence that you'll complete the ardous process to completion and probably start marking your birthday in five year increments instead of annually. I would say, "good luck", but as you know, luck has damn little to do with it. All the best
Old 03-24-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Ouch... You do have some work ahead of you...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-24-2007

soul searcher is on a distinguished road
slow boat to

Bill, hope it all works out.
and you forgot digital finger printing. FBI,CIA,and Interpol background checks.
I sent my renewl packet in on march 15th last year and didnt get it back until september 15th. It takes the dept of HLS a long time to make sure your who you say you are. Mine went from New Orleans to Nashville and ended up in west virginia. Hopefully you wont have to wait that long. yours will probably go straight to the new facility in West Virginia. They Were real nice to work with better, than the other two by far. Of my friends Four of us had to renew this past year and the guy that got his back the fastest waited 4 months.
It's turned into a real ordeal I used to get my packet off with a prepaid overnight envelope in it and always had it back in two weeks max. They changed a lot in the last Couple years.
Anyway If you get the paper pushing done don't be suprised if you have to wait a while. Your almost there
Matt

All boats are sinking it's just a matter of how fast.
Old 03-25-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Bill...I rescind my dittos!