SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Masthead light height

7K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  btrayfors 
#1 ·
Is there a minimum height requirement for masthead lights. I have a 79 Cheoy Lee ketch (32') and noticed that all the other boats in the marina have their lights quite a bit higher than mine. Just curious. Thanks

David

#27 ·
ronbo1,

Anchor lights are ALWAYS white. Megayachts are no exception. If they're over 50 meters LOA, they must display two white all-round anchor lights, one in the forepart of the vessel and one, lower down, near the stern.

I suppose that if one is anchored in an area with low-flying aircraft and has a very tall mast, then a red warning light might be OK or even mandated. But this is not an anchor light.

Now, if that megayacht is AGROUND, she should display two all-around red lights, one over the other, as well as the normal anchor light(s).

Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.