Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2007
Not quite Senior Member

Waymar83 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Waymar83
Almost all of this thread has gone over my head. But I am very interested in learning. Do these "adjustments" you guys talk about apply to a boat like the Jeanneau Attalia (single spreaders)? All I know is that when we step the mast every spring, we eyeball the mast to make sure its straight as we tension up. Have I been doing something wrong? Any adjustments made during the season are done only if the shrouds loosen up.

Waymar - Jeanneau, Attalia
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-01-2007

soul searcher is on a distinguished road
Waymar,
I think every boat can benefit from keeping the rig tuned.
what ive l done on mine so far has added some speed and definatly improved windward ability. If you had a tension gauge and played with you rig a little setting it up evey spring would be a no brainer because you would already know the settings that work best for you on your boat and for your style of sailing. some folks will spend a ton of money on different sails and folding props trying to get that extra half a knot out of their boat and may be over looking the gains that can be made by perfecting what they have.
Then again what you do now maybe perfect.
I just want to get the most out of what i got and I love tinkering with stuff like this. I figure the more I learn the less dependant I am on others the more money I save to cruise on later. and be better able to take care of my own problems in remote places. or at sea.
Just how I look at it
Matt

All boats are sinking it's just a matter of how fast.
Old 04-01-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waymar83
Almost all of this thread has gone over my head. But I am very interested in learning. Do these "adjustments" you guys talk about apply to a boat like the Jeanneau Attalia (single spreaders)? All I know is that when we step the mast every spring, we eyeball the mast to make sure its straight as we tension up. Have I been doing something wrong? Any adjustments made during the season are done only if the shrouds loosen up.
Waymar, funny enough you asked..in the 80's when I was younger, the Attalia we used to sail belonged to a friend of mine's father, and we used to race it in local races around Lisbon...funny is that we started adjusting things on that boat...I remember we modified the spreaders to give it a little more rake..(things we did as we grew up... ) we did adjst tension on that boat with out Nuno's father knowing...we also used to "steal" the boat at night... but that's another story..

Soul Searcher says.."some folks will spend a ton of money on different sails and folding props trying to get that extra half a knot out of their boat and may be over looking the gains that can be made by perfecting what they have."

That is ABSOLUTELY RIGHT....really is..and as you change things in your mast and learn what each change does is fun...I like it..and apparentely so does he..

You can have fun, even with a simple rig like yours...go out and try...

By the way...all you need is to buy a Loos Tension gauge...
Old 04-01-2007
Helms ALee!

tenuki will become famous soon enough
I agree with ya G, and like playing with rigging tune too.

But I swear, I've seen people tweaking rigging when they haven't a clue how to shape a sail with the controls directly at hand. If you haven't spent some quality time in steady winds with the GPS/Knotmeter and the running rigging you shouldn't be messing with the standing rigging IMHO. I totally pissed off a friend once by pulling out the GPS and showing how he was sailing a knot slower because he insisted on hauling in the sheets too far to get that cool heeling thing that makes you seem fast. He was talking about tuning the rig and I told him he need to learn how to sail first. lol. Not my most tactful moment. Thankfully he forgave my stupidity and we had a good sail day.

I kinda look at tuning rigging as that last 5%. From what you describe so do you, and you are one scary salty sailor dude for even caring about that last 5%. Heck, if my boat is moving with the motor off I'm content, but then generally I'm not really going anywhere.

Find any one design racing board on the net, dial into the rig tuning discussion and realize that there are as many ways to tune the same rig for the same purpose as there are sailors. I hang around J24 folks from time to time and those guys are just crazy.
Old 04-02-2007
Not quite Senior Member

Life is all about learning!

I'm all for speed and comfort. Giu, perhaps you can PM me and give me the "little" things you did to the Attalia. (I may just decide to give this racing thing a try)

I do have one question.: Does this tweaking put extra stress on the boat or some of its components (to the extent that it will speed up breakage)?

Old 04-02-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Waymar, touching the rigging is like touching electricity...as long as you know what to do, and how...your "safe" eheheheh

Still before you start cahnging, read a lot, learn what causes what and then try..sloooooowly...
Old 04-02-2007
Helms ALee!

tenuki will become famous soon enough
I guess the reason I'm on a rant about people who don't know what they are doing tuning rigging instead of learning how to sail is that the boat I just bought's lower stays wire was twisted horribly. didn't notice the slight ripples until after I bought the boat. yikes. I'm replacing the standing rigging (needed it anyway) but, geese, if you can't figure out which part of a turn buckle to turn you shouldn't be on a boat at all IMHO. And yes, this probably weakened the whole structure, I imagine swages aren't designed to have twisting forces on them. anyway, that's why I sound so pissed.

Gui's comment about electricity is right on. And there ain't no breaker switch.
Old 04-02-2007

Sabre66 is on a distinguished road
I'm on my third head stay trying to find the perfect amount of rake. I spend about 4-5 hours at the beginning of the season and re-tighten and loosen as the conditions warrant, my wife thinks I'm becoming a bit to obsessed with perfection as far as the boat goes ...But then again I haven't achieved it yet. Maybe this year
Old 04-02-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Sabre-
IIRC, you race...so that's more important for you.. Some of us are a bit more laid back about it...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-02-2007
Not quite Senior Member

Sounds like fun!

I'm assuming there is a base from which you start and then begin to "tweak" as you test various configurations.

I have some experience with electricity (as I've been a do-it-your-selfer for many a year ). So I know abit about playing with such things. As you said, the cost of resetting a 30 amp breaker is nill ( you may have to let your hair grow back or have it straightened ), the cost of replacing components of standing rigging well....