Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBowman
It's a 1997 Pacific Seacraft 32' Pilothouse. Hull #20. There are images uploaded in the Pacific Seacraft forum here on sailnet.

I found all that you posted to be of unusual interest.

I agree with you. The vessel that I originally posted earlier in this thread had been sprayed with foam and it didn't impresss me either.
I will look up the PS 32. I have some photos of other steel boats I looked at and examples of why I didn't like foam.

Here's a French ketch in steel, a 1980 Subrero Petit Prince. Guy wanted $60K and it was at my club. Close to perfect in terms of design:

...but it had not been maintained where it counted, despite the beautiful interior:

I can't remember the make of this one, but it looked fast and the exterior showed fresh paint:

Again, unfortunately, the owner's own pictures told the story of how you need to keep on top of trouble areas. I sometimes wonder if just lining anchor lockers with truck bed liner isn't the best idea:

Here's how my new-to-me boat avoids the problem:

Pardon the inflatable in the way, but it's the best shot I have. There is a forward sloping well in the deck into which the chain is flaked. The well has a drain above the waterline in the stem that means anchoring water never enters the boat. It's visible here, along with the triple rollers on the short, heavy bowsprit:

I have enough buoyancy forward to carry a few hundred pounds of chain easily, plus there's a safety bonus of stepping into a shallow box to work at the bow. The windlass has been bought, but has yet to be installed. It will be bolted to a bracket on the centerline of the well, and as chain is brought aboard, it will have to be manually flaked side to side. This is of course a compromise, but I accept it as it gives the benefit of being able to wash down the chain and inspect it in full daylight, plus I don't get muddy water in the forepeak, plus I can't have a tangle belowdecks...it's all there in front of me. I am thinking of lining this area in the aforementioned truck bed liner or something similar. I may also make a pair of clamshell-type covers just to tidy up that area.

Sorry for the size of this "photo essay", but I am a bit of a boat bore, having been immersed (no pun intended) in the subject for several years. I have seen about six steel cruisers in person, and about 20 via the magic of the Internet. I'm far from an expert, but you learn to look for certain things, and if you find them, you move on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-14-2007
Senior Moment

RickBowman is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente
The well has a drain above the waterline in the stem that means anchoring water never enters the boat.
Sorry for the size of this "photo essay", but I am a bit of a boat bore, having been immersed (no pun intended) in the subject for several years. I have seen about six steel cruisers in person, and about 20 via the magic of the Internet. I'm far from an expert, but you learn to look for certain things, and if you find them, you move on!
Well done indeed. Thank you for the informative images. I have always prefered the anchor locker drain to exit out and not to the bilge.

The size of the photo essay was great. Like with much, the devil is in the details, and the seams, welds and fillets and the images that you provided showed the corrosion and neglect on the vessels that you have inspected.

Now about your anchor locker liner? Are you thinking about how to stop the chiping of the paint from the chain striking the locker walls? Would you consider lexan attached to the anchor locker walls and bottom?
Old 04-14-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue
Interesting to compare Valiente's sailplan with True Blue . . .

TB and Valiente...want to laugh??

Then compare both of yours sailplan with mine...and also the hull......just for curiosity!!

The first photo was the first drawing sent to me with an idea of how she would look like..made into a jpeg

The second one are the Hull lines..sorry about the quality.

Interesting diofferences, aren't they?
Old 04-14-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta
Interesting diofferences, aren't they?
Naturally, and if I was racing to the west of Portugal, I'd have your boat. But I wouldn't take it around Cape Horn or even into the average Pacific lagoon. I'd just knock something off the bottom.

Trust me, there's an excellent compromise between our boats, and it's nothing a couple of million dollars can't buy.
Old 04-14-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente
But I wouldn't take it around Cape Horn or even into the average Pacific lagoon. I'd just knock something off the bottom.
me neither..

In fact I wouldn't take her that much far from the coast...like crossing the Atalantic.....

It would be unconfortable...very....I believe...

The compromise between the two boats exists, yes it does...Nautor!!!!
Old 04-27-2007

gaha_1 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Great boat

I can't wait for mine to grow up,I have a bayfield 25'

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.