Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2007
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
My big concern for any "blue water" yacht would be fuel and water, 35gal for water is a bit light, as far as fuel its not to bad, should give @ 40 Hrs.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-30-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Such is true re: tankage. I owned a 28 foot coastal cruiser with a 35 gal water tank - and that was tight. After enjoying the current benefits of a 140 gal water tank and 160 gal diesel tankage, we realize how disadvantaged we were with past boats.
Old 03-30-2007

Ronbye is on a distinguished road
A friend of mine had the same model of the Bayfield 32, 1983. It too was excellent shape. It is an excellent boat when the going gets rough. She needs a lot of wind though, and is not extremely fast. Much like my own boat. Nice to see that she has a Yanmar diesal. My friends boat had a Faryman diesal with hydraulic drive. He had nothing but trouble with both. If it pans out that you buy the boat, you won't be disappointed.
Old 03-30-2007
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
Having only studied your boats (as you might know Im on my way soon to get one and sail it home) I have been using NADA Appraisal Guides, although super conservative they lists a basic 1982 32' Bayfield at $23100 in average condition with no big money items, this figure is along way from the asking price. Unless this boat is a fully restored and compleatly refitted example its expensive.
Average Retail Value — An average retail valued boat should be in good condition with no visible damage or defects. This boat will show moderate wear and tear and will be in sound running condition. The buyer may need to invest in either minor cosmetic or mechanical work.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 03-30-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Kacper, I'd do some more research and give yourself time to get a bit of a grip and think outside the excitement of the moment. (take a cold shower)

Jumping from a C27 to a B32, (and from $8K to $70K) is all a bit much and a bit sudden to my mind. My gut feeling is that that's a pretty high asking price, even with the improvements and uggrades for a 32foot boat of that vintage.

If you're truly off the Mexico, fine. But that boat will be a bit of a frustrating one to sail on our normal cruising waters of the PNW. And, if you're off to Mexico, check the market in California - maybe you'll find one less expensive on your way there.....

I understand your excitement and enthusiasm, but at the moment it's probably not serving you well.

All the best.
Old 03-30-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Kacper,

Just a quick note to say I like it.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 03-30-2007

Kacper is on a distinguished road
Hey guys

Well, we offered 64,500 , 20% below.

Thy have come back with 72,000. They said the owner boought it for 80K and ut in 25K into it.

This boat belongs to the brokerage, as the previous owner traded it in while buying a new Jeanneau. And the broker says they would like to get their "money back" on the deal.

It has been redone inside. And they put in Radar as well. Brand new sails, brand new windlass, hardly used Yanmar engine. Fully enclosed dodger

I don't doubt the owner put the money into it, because it shows, but I'm a little skeptical that the boat is really worth that much. After all, boats don't really "appreciate."

Hmm...

I still love the boat, but after a little comparison and your suggestions it does seem like a high price for this boat. Probably the reason why it's been on the market for 2 years.
Old 03-30-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Any boat that is overpriced is going to sit there until either 1) the price comes down to what the real value of the boat is, or 2) some idiot buys it at an overinflated price.

If you think about it... your final offer price should generally include what you think the boat is worth, minus whatever you want to take off depending on the survey results, and possibly the projected costs of storing, hauling and maintaining the boat. This is how a very good friend of mine plans his offers on boats, and he gives the owner of the boat all the numbers and shows how he came up with the figure...

Don't forget that storage, maintenance and hauling costs are something that the seller will have to pay if they don't sell it...and the boat will continue to depreciate, and will generally degrade just sitting there waiting to sell.
It is a point you can often use to your favor.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-31-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Kacper...sounds like a good boat. If you thought your offer was realistic and his counter is high...but you love the boat...it seems to me you have two options:
- Make a counter offer of say...67as your "final offer" subject to survey/sea trial etc.
-Walk away for a week or so and let the broker know, you've decided to keep looking t some of the others on the market but to give you a buzz if the owner changes his mind.
- Of course the third option is to pay 72...but you aren't THAT crazy!!

My guess is that the owner is trying to clear 65k after brokers fee. Since there is only one broker involved...perhaps he can help make the deal since he has no split comission to worry about.
As far as the two options go...the risk of walking away is that IF you have to come back crawling to buy it you will be paying 72k. Also...you could lose the boat to another (unlikely...but it is springtime). Therefore...I would just increase your offer a bit and encourage the broker to make the deal happen!
Old 03-31-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Cam is right: Offer $67,500 contingent on survey (and hope it finds little to deal-break!) if you really want it. A new radar...phhfftt. Nice, but a new type of digital radar is coming shortly that promises to reduce the amp draw of radar significantly, and autopilots and radar are two and three after fridges for battery draw-down.

Electronics depreciate faster than anything, unless they are some sort of bulletproof technology that people like because it does one thing very well, which is why I still have a working Seamaster III cathode depth sounder aboard... but it's the bones of the boat you pay for, not what some guy installed as an accessory.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.