SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Hoisting RIB's on Deck (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/30940-hoisting-ribs-deck.html)

Dave H 03-31-2007 01:37 PM

Hoisting RIB's on Deck

We have just purchased a Beneteau 42s7 and are now considering our options regarding dinghy choice. I would like to have something close to a 12ft RIB but am certainly aware that as the length increases the weight goes up rapidly. We had no trouble hoisting a 10ft RIB onto the deck of our 35' Caliber before but wonder if we will have difficulty hoisting and maneuvering a 150 to 200 lb RIB on and off the foredeck using a halyard.

I have considered installing davits as I do have room in my slip to accomodate but besides the issue of weight, I have always thought that the foredeck provided more security plus its easier to protect the dinghy from weather with a tarp when away for extended periods.

I would appreciate hearing peoples experiences on hauling heavier RIB's on board with halyard or tackle.

Thanks Dave

hellosailor 03-31-2007 02:27 PM

Dave-
For a quick test you can just take a railmeat, hook'em up to the halyard and practice.<G> Swinging that much mass around in any wind could be interesting. Lifting that much weight, no problem if you plan ahead and use a winch or add a block and tackle (snatch block) for added purchase if need be.

camaraderie 03-31-2007 04:34 PM

Yup...HS has it right...you can rig it to make the lifting easy but the momentum and added windage when hoisting in a wind will be pretty impossible for one person to control.
It sounds as though your cruising grounds are acceptable for travelling with the dink on davits and the 42 is weighty enough that I don't think the equivilent of me sitting on your stern is going to affect performance. You can fit a tarp to protect the dink even on davits. Then you can also leave the motor on as well which will be more convenient.

Freesail99 03-31-2007 04:46 PM

Many davits can be removed from their mounts very easy and stowed, if your concerned about fitting into your slip.

Valiente 03-31-2007 06:29 PM

A word on this: I have a Zodiac 310 RIB that weighs about 110 lbs. empty and 130 lbs. with a small tank, a pump, a couple of oars, etc. No engine. I had it on cast aluminum davits with three part purchases when we were motorsailing in Lake Ontario at about 6 knots. The base of one davit failed and snapped in two. I had to throw the engine into neutral and round up quickly to keep the loose arm...still attached to the heavily angled Zodiac...from fouling the prop or rudder.

Long story short, we got the wife in the Zodiac, got the Zodiac alongside and emptied, and then hauled it via the painter and a spare halyard aboard.

From now on, it's either towed on a bridle or lashed on deck. My plans for a windvane more or less preclude davits anyway, and I want the welded on pads the davits were bolted to for things like Solar Stiks, don't I?

labatt 04-02-2007 02:01 AM

These guys make lifting slings so the whole job is easier... I have no affiliation...

Dinghy-Lift