Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Tsunami

Don't know if it would have made the US media but the Solomon Islands island of Ghizo was hit by a Tsunami this week after an underwater earthquake. Major destruction and fatalities although nowhere near as bad as occurred in Thailand and Indonesia in 2004. Ghizo is however a major population centre of the Solomons, Gizo town itself being the capital of the western provinces.

ABC Online

Setting aside the human tragedy for the moment this is a real blow for the Solomons as the country is only just now beginning to emerge from the chaos of the recent troubles. Ghizo (the island is Ghizo, the town Gizo, I don't know why) has been trying to (re)establish itself as a centre for visiting yachts and divers. I don't know the full details but the Gizo yacht club was presumably destroyed or at least badly damaged.

Sad to see. The Solomons has never been a particularly popular destination for cruisers and I don't know why this should be. It is a delightful place with lovely people and some truely beautiful places to visit. It's right at the top of the list of places we intend to visit. It's not as urbanised as say New Caledonia but this is for me an advantage.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-03-2007

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
I just heard a second tidal wide has hit the island, was on FoxNews
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook