Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2007

equitiman is on a distinguished road
FSC Teak

I want to make a teak grating for the sole of my cockpit but would prefer to use FSC Teak only. Does anyone know where I can order some FSC teak planks?

In an unrelated question, if I am going to paint with a 2-part polyurethane...will normal masking tape suffice or will I have a problem with the strong solvents in the paint?

Thanks,
Bob
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-04-2007

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Most exotic material suppliers are members of NHLA which supports FSC

I don't know where your located, but Reel Lumber here in So.Cal is a NHLA member and is where I get my materials

Oh, and as for tape, don't use normal masking tape, use at least Blue or if you can find orange painters tape, that would be even better

Last edited by poopdeckpappy; 04-04-2007 at 12:41 PM.
Old 04-05-2007

Thanks PDP,

I checked out the NHLA website but unfortunately they didn't have anything about where to obtain FSC certified lumber. They only mentioned their own "Sustainable Forestry Initiative" program, which after a quick look appeared to be an industry-catering FSC knockoff with completely meaningless standards, and of which members of NHLA can choose whether or not to voluntarily join The good news is I did find a couple of websites in the that I can order from.

Thanks also for the tape-tip...I figured it was a straightforward question...I'm going to get the tape on Saturday and then I'll pray for good painting weather this weekend!

Bob
Old 04-05-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Use the 3m Fineline plastic masking tape at the very edges and then tape over it with their blue painters tape to get sufficient coverage of the masking. The paper stuff just doesn't stick to the hull well enough to prevent the paint from getting underneath IMHO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-05-2007

tigerregis has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Bingo! sailingdog.
Old 04-05-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yay!!! What'd I win... Huh... What'd I win???

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 04-05-2007

shantijwk is on a distinguished road
FSC tropical hardwood

Try going thru the US Green Building Council (USGBC) for information on Forest Stewardship Council and plantation/sustainable teak sources USGBC.org
Old 04-09-2007

Thanks

Shanti - Thanks for the tip, I'll check out the website.

SD - You win approximately 30 seconds of my appreciation...it is priceless...really...well actually I'll sell you a years supply for €150...
Old 04-09-2007
Telstar 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by equitiman
SD - You win approximately 30 seconds of my appreciation...it is priceless...really...well actually I'll sell you a years supply for €150...
Well, I guess that's something... better than some things I've gotten... like Giu's photoshopping...

Telstar 28
New England

Old 04-09-2007

mike dryver is on a distinguished road
don't know where your at but if you can check out lumber liquidators. 5/4&length=random price around $5-$6 a foot for 5/4&6