Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2007
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Changing the topic a bit, that Ross 780 looks like a pretty cool boat! I wish they had those in the US. I loved my Precision 23, but the Ross 780 looks like a step up, but still maintaining the traditional lines my P23 had (unlike Catalina's and Hunter's of a similar size).
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-2007

soul searcher is on a distinguished road
put out the wind scoop and you have a riding sail.

seriosly though on our old boat I threw a five gallon bucket off the stern like a sea anchor
and slowed it down a good bit we dont have much current though. A big tide around here is 18 inches.

All boats are sinking it's just a matter of how fast.

Last edited by soul searcher; 04-09-2007 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-09-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
With the narrow-finned Ross 780 and other boats like it, the riding sail doesn't eliminate the anchor-sailing, but seriously slows it down, and more importantly softens the turns so there are less shock loads on the ground tackle.

When the bow falls off on boats like that, the boat acclerates, sometimes alarmingly, and when the rode fetches up it can, in a decent breeze, put enough shock on the anchor to pop it loose. This is reason enough to use a riding sail even though it's only a partial cure.

They stow compactly and are simple to deploy.(and to make, come to think of it - they need no shape, only a flat panel, a couple of hanks and loops)
Old 04-09-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
They do require a strong backstay though. Anchoring via the stern requires nothing he doesn't already have, except maybe the bridle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-09-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
True, SD.. however a couple of things go against anchoring many monohulls by the stern.

One, it limits your ventilation issues, and in the off season a dodger (if present) will funnel a lot of cold air through the cabin spaces. You can close the companionway, of course, but you lose some light and may feel closed in depending on the boat.

Two, many monohulls have extended, flattened counters under the transom; even ripples can create a lot of noise, and a small chop can be unbearably noisy if facing windward. This is especially a problem with today's common aft cabins when you are trying to sleep.

btw, do you sail a Farrier/Corsair? We have friends with a F25C which they, too, often anchor by the stern.
Old 04-09-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Looked at the Corsairs, decided they were far too wet a boat, and not really designed for comfort. In the Corsair F28, I can't even stand up, and I'm only 5' 4" or so. I can stand up in the F31, but it is a lot more expensive than the F28 and a nightmare to trailer. I also looked at the Quorning Dragonflies... they're very pretty, but ungodly expensive. Also, their folding system means that if you want to fold them to fit them in a slip, you have to pay for the extra 6' or so that the amas will extend past the stern... not cool.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 04-10-2007

Pentium7 is on a distinguished road
Talking

Thanks for your quick replies everyone. I have seen yachts with similar set ups as suggested and always wondered what it was for.

Thanks again. I will let you know how it goes.
Old 04-10-2007

trantor12020 is on a distinguished road
Pentium 7 try the cheaper option first. throw a 5 gallon bucket with a long line to the stern like previous post said and see if that solve your problem before spending sme bucks on a riding sail.
Old 04-14-2007
Helms ALee!

tenuki will become famous soon enough
Would another drawback to anchoring off the stern be you can no longer sail off your anchor? Maybe that is what prevented old timers from doing it, hence the tradition? Is prop fouling a problem also?
Old 04-14-2007
Telstar 28

Tenuki-

Why wouldn't you be able to sail way from the anchor... just haul it up... and then unfurl/hoist the jib. If you're leaving the anchorage under sail, I don't see how you would foul the prop...

The real reason boats didn't do it is because of their design. The older, full keel design boats were far more stable at anchor bow to the wind and waves. You really need to read the web page I posted in my first post.

Telstar 28
New England