Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Kernix-

Most hatches are made of aluminum, bronze or stainless steel. None of which are magnetic.. at least the grades of stainless steel that are supposed to be used on boats shouldn't be.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Here's a view of one of the two galley hatches - prior to Velcro tape attachment. Any brilliant ideas, besides adhesive Velcro?

One Nauticat owner said he used stainless snaps, the type that have stainless screws joined to the male section. These would be screwed into each corner of the hatch flange and the 4 female sections, clinched to the screen hem corners. I'd be concerned with the screw working it's way out though.
Old 04-09-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
TB-

I would use a fiberglass rod to create a frame for the screen, and make it so that the screen just fits inside the recessed opening. Run a bead of silicone or other rubbery substance around the outside edge of the screen and let it dry. Friction would hold it in place. Sew a small piece of webbing to one corner to use as a handle to remove it.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 04-09-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Are you recommending four lengths of round, fiberglass rod as a frame, or some other shape? The corner connection design would be critical for rigidity . . . suppose the sections could be sewn into the hem.
Old 04-09-2007

Kernix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
TB-

I would use a fiberglass rod to create a frame for the screen, and make it so that the screen just fits inside the recessed opening. Run a bead of silicone or other rubbery substance around the outside edge of the screen and let it dry. Friction would hold it in place. Sew a small piece of webbing to one corner to use as a handle to remove it.
how about just so it sits and hangs down - removable with hooks - just make sure there is sufficient weight to make it hand with some force so as to make sure it's snug
Old 04-09-2007

LeeHound is on a distinguished road
A screen arrangement such as Sailermon6 and Sailingdog orginially described is about what I had invisioned. Sailermon, thanks for the offer to make a picture of it. I cannot quite image how exactly this looks without one.By the way, I thought of simething like you see on windshield sun screens for cars as well: a flexible frame (with a lip), so you push the screen simply in the hatch. The velcro idea is not working for me since I have teakframes on the undersides of the hatches and that would spoil the looks right away.
Old 04-09-2007

LeeHound is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnHand
Yes. The PO of my boat (bless his heart) made simple screens for the hatches. They come in halves with a slight gap and sit on a lip that runs around the inside of the hatch. I put them in one at a time and then press a piece of weatherstrip into the gap. He also made a set of screened boards for the companionway for good air flow below without having to put up with the wee beasties.

I'll try to get some pictures to post next time I'm at the boat.
CapnHand, thanks for your description. I would appreciate your suggestion that you post a picture how it's done on your boat.
Old 04-09-2007
Señor Member

Expanding upon the fiberglass rod idea - perhaps using preformed 3/8" rigid tube bends could be used. The radius would of course, need to form a close match to the hatch liner.

Once connected to the rods, the assembly should be rigid within the sewn hem and stay in place through compression. Perhaps leaving the hem corners open would simplify disassembly - very much like those flexible dome tent supports.

I suppose this design may be getting too complicated, but could work. Since my screens are already sized to fit over the flange, they could be modified to fit within the opening.
Old 04-09-2007

gc1111 is on a distinguished road
That is exactly what I use. Plastic screening with cloth edging and velcro sewn on. Velcro glued around the edge of the hatches. I have used this for over 10 years very happily.
Old 04-09-2007
Telstar 28

TB-

Umm, I was thinking more of one or two fairly thin pieces that would be continuous over the perimeter of the screen. It could be fastened to itself in the center of one of the sides. Mine work basically in the same way, but have an aluminum frame that pops into a groove in the hatch molding.

The force of the flex in the fiberglass would be what held the screen in place. It would require fairly careful measuring to get it just the right length to fit snugly.

Telstar 28
New England