Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2007

blueranger is on a distinguished road
For Minnesota Sailors

Hi,

I'm in the process of being relocated to Minnesota for my job. I'll be working in Minnetonka and living in one of the western suburbs. Are there any MN sailors out there that can tell me a good place to rent a slip for a 22 foot sailboat? All I need is a slip with 24 hour access and reasonable security. I don't need shore power. My main concern is keeping costs down and staying within an hour or so drive of the marina from work or home. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
Mike
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2007

EpicAdventure is on a distinguished road
Check out the Yacht Clubs on Lake Minnetonka.

Wayzata Yacht club has a fair amount of racing going on. What type of boat do you have? You plan on racing?

That is the one good thing about sailing in the Twin Cities, you can be out of the office and sailing within 30 minutes. Unfortunately, the sailing season is far too short.

You could probably even get a mooring buoy at one of the lakes in Minneapolis for a 22 footer -- depends on how heavy. Those lakes might be a bit small though depending on what you like to do.
Old 04-10-2007

jet6130 is on a distinguished road
If you want to stay on Lake Minnetonka check out Shorewood Yacht club in Excelsior MN (Shorewood Marina and Yacht Club - Minnetonka's Premier Saiboat Marina). Unlike Wayzata yacht club, Shorewood is more of a social yachtclub than a racing club. At Wayzata and Minnetonka yacht clubs you must race a set number of races to keep your slip.

Last time I checked, Shorewood had slips available.
Old 04-10-2007
Whaa? I hit yer...? Naah!

Gulfcoastbreeze is on a distinguished road
Lake Minnetonka is great!

If you want a little bigger water, or maybe want to trailer somewhere for a long weekend, take a look at the wide part of the St. Croix river around Hudson, WI. Or the wide part of the Mississippi at Lake City, about a 90-min trailer tow from the western 'burbs.
Old 04-13-2007

sweetsailing is on a distinguished road
I agree Lake Minnetonka is great and also agree with the recommendation regarding Shorewood Yacht Club. We have slipped our boat there for the past 6 years. Call and talk with Mike Maloney, he's the owner, you can reach him at (952) 221-7387. In case you are in the Minneapolis area, Shorewood is hosting an open house on Saturday April 14th from 10 am - 4 pm, stop by. Please let me know if you have any questions, I am happy to help. I am the current membership board secretary.
Old 04-17-2007

fafnir is on a distinguished road
Lake Superior is nice, although it is a little beyond the maximum drive time you specified. We have enjoyed sailing there the last couple of years. Check out some information on the Apostle Islands.
Old 04-17-2007

tonkaboat is on a distinguished road
Mike,

Working and living in the west suburbs, I can't think of a better place for your boat than Lake Minnetonka. My boat will be there in May and my boyfriend sails. We love and enjoy the lake very much. Many places for a slip on this lake. First, yes you should check out all the Yacht Clubs, then marinas, then the local papers for potential residential slip opportunities which can sometimes be less expensive. The lake is rather large and spread across much land so the closer to the metro the more expensive the slip. Please feel free to email with additional questions, need to lake information, etc.

Welcome to Lake Minnetonka and Minnesota!
Old 04-19-2007

Wayzatajim is on a distinguished road
Welcome to Tonka! You'll love it!
I'm a member at Minnetonka Yacht Club which is very convenient to Deephaven, Cottagewood, Excelsior and Chanhassen. Great schools too at Minnetonka. Minnetonka Yacht Club (MYC)
Be prepared to spend >$5k/summer for a slip... they are in high demand and supply is restricted.
Welcome!
Old 04-20-2007

fafnir is on a distinguished road
Lake Waconia

Lake Waconia is another nice lake to consider that is just west of Minnetonka, they have a marina there that seems to be sailboat friendly, we have trailered there a couple of times and may possibly be there this weekend. Waconia is considerably smaller then Minnetonka, which means the cost is quite a bit smaller to keep a boat there.