Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2007

Kernix is on a distinguished road
didn't realize - I thought I read that catamarans were prone to capsizing - tris are not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2007
Mostly Harmless

ReverendMike will become famous soon enough
SD

I saw that when you had put it on another thread, good day on the water! Just a quick Q it looked as if you were close to burying the port ama at the begining of the clip, how dangerous would that be?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"... the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my alloted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze." - Richard Bode, First you have to row a little boat (pg. 94)
Old 04-11-2007
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
SD,

I was out in Boston Harbor on the day after you shot the video (7th). It was even more exciting! The wind that day was blowing 25+ from the ENE with 6-7 foot swells. I had planned to make it to P-Town to introduce my wife to sailing (bad timing). We got to Pt Allerton and she turned green. I turned us around and we spent the rest of the day in the lee of Lovell's island. We saw about 5 other boats do exactly the same thing at the same point in the harbor.

That was quite a weekend!
Old 04-11-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Kernix-

Trimarans and catamarans, properly designed and sailed properly, are far less likely to capsize than any monohull is. Most of the major capsizes of multihulls you read about are from racing multihulls, which are usually sailed on the edge of control, and have far larger sailplans than would be safe on a cruising multihull.

The initial stability on a multihull is far higher than that of any monohull. The real problem is that multihulls don't self-right... they're often more stable upside down than they are right-side up. However, they generally don't sink either... since they have no large mass of metal ballast trying to sink them.

The joke usually goes that "Multihulls have a position of ultimate stability—upside down." The response is usually, "Monohulls have a position of ultimate stability too, upright sitting on the bottom of the ocean." Both of these are true statements. The majority of boats out on the water don't have any ability to self-right.

Rev. Mike-

That wasn't burying the ama at all—that was the ama going through the top of the swell. If we had buried the ama, the deck would have been awash before the ama punched through the swell, which wasn't the case. There's a big difference. Burying the ama is a bad sign, since it means you're getting close to the point where the other ama is going to go up in the air...and that is the way multihulls get into trouble.

On this particular boat, it is designed to give you plenty of warning... Before you start burying the ama, what you will generally see is the tail of the leeward ama submerging. That's an indicator that you either need to reduce sail—if it is happening all the time or ease the sheets a bit—it is happening only occasionally.

It was a really good day on the water... and a lot of fun... most of that video was from the broad reach down to Cuttyhunk, with the wind behind us. Going back up to New Bedford, was a different story. New Bedford was almost directly into the wind...so it was an upwind slog and very soggy... Everyone but me was in full foulies and polar fleece.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-11-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernix
To kacper and guilietta:

Newbie here - what were the conditions - wind in knots, wavee heights, etc? Small craft advisory or no?
We don't have small craft Advisories where I come from...you get the weather in TV...but I think they are monkeys...never get it right...but then..hey the weather man is an ape....

However, after sailing there for 30 some years...you look at the sky, the wind, the clouds...and know what its doing...we know the weather by signs..

In my place, when the wind "follows" the Sun, from east to west the winds never get over 20knots, and dies off the SW in the end of the afternoon, the seas are normally calm never more that 5' waves. Good to go with the kids and have some fun calm sailing...

However, when the wind doesn't shift, and doesn't follow the Sun, uhuhuhuhuh we get the "NORTADA", the northern winds, they blow up to 35 40 knots, then we sail real fast...more boats come out, ....and break booms....

This particular day we had a storm in Land, winds from the South East, blowing at 30 to 35 kts, waves were 10' well some were larger...then we got some rain...it was December last year..

We returned because the storm shifted south, and that day we got 50 to 60 kt winds in the afternoon.

We were sailing withs some kids in 470's if I find the link I'll post them...but you can see us and the tankers on those videos.

Last edited by Giulietta; 04-11-2007 at 06:16 PM.
Old 04-11-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy
SD,

I was out in Boston Harbor on the day after you shot the video (7th). It was even more exciting! The wind that day was blowing 25+ from the ENE with 6-7 foot swells. I had planned to make it to P-Town to introduce my wife to sailing (bad timing). We got to Pt Allerton and she turned green. I turned us around and we spent the rest of the day in the lee of Lovell's island. We saw about 5 other boats do exactly the same thing at the same point in the harbor.

That was quite a weekend!
That's what I call a good day of sailing... Of course the boat you're on makes a huge difference. I've found that I'm generally out in weather than some boats bigger than mine don't want to go out in.

Giu-

Just so you know what we're talking about. A Small Craft Advisory in the area I sail is defined as:

Quote:
Sustained winds ranging between 25 and 33 knots (except 20 to 25 knots, lower threshold area dependent, to 33 knots for harbors, bays, etc.) and/or seas/waves 5 to 7 feet and greater, area dependent.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Last edited by sailingdog; 04-11-2007 at 06:30 PM.
Old 04-11-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
Giu-

Just so you know what we're talking about. A Small Craft Advisory in the area I sail is defined as:
Holly smoking beard....Batman....that's our average day for 180 days a year.....the rest is between 10 and 20 kts, 3 to 5' waves..

That's why they don't warn us about that...its normal life for us...

LOVE PORTUGAL...no wonder we are good sailors

By the way Cascais, was elected the best place for the America's Cup, due to its winds and seas, but they prefered King Carlos of Spain's money better!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Giulietta; 04-11-2007 at 06:55 PM.
Old 04-11-2007
Telstar 28

Giu-

We get quite a few of them in the Buzzards Bay area... and that's one reason I like sailing here...

Telstar 28
New England

Old 04-11-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Kermix,

There was never considerable danger since SD was not driving!!!

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 04-11-2007
Telstar 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad
Kermix,

There was never considerable danger since SD was not driving!!!

- CD
CD-

That's what I said...
Quote:
That wasn't the situation that day though.

GRRRR... CD, you're in trouble...

Telstar 28
New England

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.