Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
There are a lot of dealers around there (Great Lakes). Call the dealers. If you do the work yourself you may find a heack of a deal. Get busy now. The sailing season is on you and a lot of buyers going on the market. As has been discussed before, the used boat market is tightening.

-CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-13-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad
SD,

I would never..... (smile)

- CD

PS Just to set the record straight, I am not a paid employee or have any association with Catalina other than owning several of their boats and writing in Mainsheet and completely under the influence of the brand... .
He's been brainwashed in their secret facility...which is why he was MIA the past couple of days. It is actually a cult...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-13-2007

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Boatersdream.com is either temporarily or permanently down at the moment (last time I connected to them was a couple weeks ago) but they are Great Lakes. Sailing magazine- the oversized one with the nice pictures - has many Great Lakes listings.
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Old 04-13-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
There's a couple of pages of catalina 34 listings here:
Soundings Online
Old 04-13-2007

km2x is on a distinguished road
Could you explain more about the market tightening?

km2x
Old 04-13-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Basically, the price of new boats is so high that the pressure on the used boat market is increasing.

Also, as many boaters become more affluent, get older and start having families, they start looking at larger boats... which are extremely expensive...so they're looking at the boats that were traded in by the previous group of upgraders who are a step ahead of them... 28' owners move up to mid-30's, mid-30' owners move up to 40'+ and so on.

Also, due to the financial situation... a lot of boat manufacturers got wiped in the 70's and 80's. The used boat market had cannibalized the new boat sales, and between that and the increase costs of resin—which is closely related to fuel prices, more and more manufacturers went belly up. Finally, the entry level boat has gotten bigger in many ways.

Most of the boat makers are concentrating on the larger boat market, since that maximizes their profit. The amount of labor that goes into a larger boat isn't all that much more than what goes into a smaller boat—especially with the highly automated production that you see nowadays. The price differences are enormous.

As an example, from boats.com I found these prices: A 28' Catalina is about $94,000, the 309 is about $98,000, the 36' is $163,000 and the 44' is about $335,000.

On the used market boats similar to these are:

A six or seven year old Catalina 310, which is a nicer boat in many ways than the 309, has an asking price of $80,000 and will probably sell closer to $70,000.

A five year old Catalina 36 Mk II is asking for about $125,000, and will probably sell around $110,000—$50,000 less than a new one. Even considering what upgrades and repairs you might have to make, that's going to be a significant savings.

The recent increases in the cost of fuel will soon be reflected in the price of the boats... and it won't be very pretty. Oil is running at about $60 a barrel... all the parts are now more expensive as their transportation costs and energy costs of production are going up. Resin will be going up in price, as it is made from oil IIRC. As the prices go up, the demand for new boats drops.. simple economics... and the demand for the alternative good, used boats, goes up.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Last edited by sailingdog; 04-13-2007 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04-13-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Nice writeup SD and very true. As I pointed out before, I had a broker contact me unsolcited to buy my boat. It is not for sale... he is just pulling my name out of the USCG docs. Things are getting tight. It will continue to tighten. Don't believe me?? Go to the next boat show and price out a new sailboat. I don't care if it is a Catalina or a Hylas. You will be in shock. The used boat market takes a hit when new boats are selling (ie, low interest rates and low oil). That just is not the case anymore. Add in the increased stock market allowing the Baby boomers to retire, and you have a lot more buyers.

I have had brokers telling me this too... not just me. But I also imagine that different areas o the country will see different trends. I am generalizing.

- CD

PS I still think good, used boats are underpriced and undervalued. That does not mean it is a bad time to buy... just get after it!!

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 04-13-2007
Telstar 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad
Nice writeup SD and very true. As I pointed out before, I had a broker contact me unsolcited to buy my boat. It is not for sale... he is just pulling my name out of the USCG docs. Things are getting tight. It will continue to tighten. Don't believe me?? Go to the next boat show and price out a new sailboat. I don't care if it is a Catalina or a Hylas. You will be in shock. The used boat market takes a hit when new boats are selling (ie, low interest rates and low oil). That just is not the case anymore. Add in the increased stock market allowing the Baby boomers to retire, and you have a lot more buyers.

I have had brokers telling me this too... not just me. But I also imagine that different areas o the country will see different trends. I am generalizing.

- CD

PS I still think good, used boats are underpriced and undervalued. That does not mean it is a bad time to buy... just get after it!!
Thanks CD... wait... did you just agree with me and compliment me... you must be ill... I've noticed that the prices of some of the boats I had been looking at have climbed quite a bit from what I was originally quoted.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 04-13-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Yes, I agreed. Every once in a while you are right!! HEHE!!

Yes, the used boat market is climbing. Just wait until early/mid summer gets here!! Still, as I said before, they are undervalued and underpriced.

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 04-13-2007
Telstar 28

Ummm... CD... usually things that are undervalued are underpriced, if they were undervalued and overpriced, they'd be normally valued and normally priced...

Telstar 28
New England