Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2007
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
I say, whip out the dremell then down to the chandlers or a repair kit and bobs your auntie.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-14-2007
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailhog
Bestfriend,
Has it occurred to you that your neighbor might be with al Qaeida? I've heard this is their newest way of striking back at the West -- by submitting ridiculously high estimates at overpriced boatyards. Why can't they just stick to suicide bombings and driving aircraft into buildings? That's what I want to know.
Umm... don't quit your day job.
Old 04-14-2007

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV
I say, whip out the dremell then down to the chandlers or a repair kit and bobs your auntie.

My gawd man, it's a fiberglass repair, not a sex change operation
Old 04-15-2007

P8dawg is on a distinguished road
You never know.

My last fiberglass repair job was done by a man who is making racecars for Toyota. He makes a great deal more money on cars and R.C. boats than he ever has on sailcraft. He says he continues to do it because boats are so beautiful. Moral; Find a person who doesn't need to charge an arm and a leg, and maybe it will only cost you an arm.
Old 04-15-2007
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Jeez, my last repair was on much more damage than that and it was only 300 bucks.
Old 04-15-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Yes, Charlie. But this is a "yacht". The allusion to Thurston Howell III was probably on the money. For some people, the fact that something cost more makes it better. A bud of mine, many years ago, insisted that his sport coat, bought on the Miracle Mile in Manhassett, NY was better than mine. Same jacket, I just paid $100 less for it in BFE, Michigan. "Thurston" probably knows nothing about the repair involved and thinks that the higher the offer the more competent and thorough the repairer will be. And that may be the case, or maybe the guy has all the work he needs and if you want him for a job, you're going to pay through the nose.

Were I in the unenviable position of our "D-Day" of boating ("Ramming Speed!!") I would get three estimates including a written satisfaction of owner warranty, similar to what the insurance company does. Then I would approach the owner for a "reasonable" conversation. I'd probably not do an insurance claim as that could be much more expensive in the long haul. I would probably have gotten the estimates for him as well. Leaving it in his hands means he is inconvenienced by having to deal with it and puts him in a "who cares what it costs mood."
Old 04-15-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
SA, this is an addition to a previous thread on the subject, but I couldn't find it. I explained it all in that one. I got an estimate for 300-400 bucks and then contacted the guy. He wanted to get his own estimate, so I said go ahead. He went to the most expensive yard. So, I am getting more estimates. I agree about not contacting insurance. And it wasn't "ramming speed" (but I do accept the D-day of boating nickname) We were barely moving, docking in a slip that really should only be for 30 footers (his boat), and a gust came up and pushed us over. The admiral was waiting to jump off the bow and by the time she got over to the other side to fend off, it was too late. We hit very lightly, but the wind pushed my stern around and we rolled off the transom lip, bending and cracking it. Its the age old debate. If you come in slow, you will do less damage when you hit something, but if you come in too slow, you are susceptible to wind and current and may still hit something.

Vaya con Dios

Last edited by bestfriend; 04-15-2007 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-15-2007
Alex, not full of crap

werebeagle will become famous soon enough werebeagle will become famous soon enough
BF

Is this the thread you were looking for?

Fiberglass repair referral SF Bay

Courtney's my Dancing Angel

Where am I, and where's my paddle?
It's not impossible, it just costs more.
Give me ambiguity, or give me something else.
Old 04-15-2007
vox clamantis in deserto

sharkbait is on a distinguished road
$1300 really isn't that much in SF Bay wages.You should see what us dumb carpenters charge.
Old 04-15-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
best,
I remember the post. I did not remember the 3-400 estimate. I would still approach the guy and offer to repair it at your cost (what the f*** does he care what your cost is?) to his satisfaction. You can have it done three times for the difference in price!

The problem with a certain type of people is, when it's somebody else's money and responsibility, the boat suddenly becomes a "yacht", as in Her Mafesty's Royal Yacht. If he insists on having his guy do the work, at an outrageous price, then he should be willing to sign a release stating that your payment of the estimated price releases you of any further obligation. If he will allow your guy to repair it, you might consider how you can involve a third party to be an impartial arbiter of the effectiveness of the repair. Or, you can just take a chance the guy is basically reasonable and tell him you will repair it to his satisfaction, have your guy do it, and hope the guy doesn't nit pick over the seagull droppings that occured while the repair was being done.

I hate having to deal with people spending other people's money. When it's their own money they get real reasonable in a hurry. Don't beat yourself up over this, it's a boat manoeuvering in close quarters. People in cars don't do any better, although you'd think they should. At the end of the day, docking is a controlled collision. I once went through a relatively normal tie-up only to have the Third Mate observe we'd punched a hole in the hull from a dockside shackle. This was on a 50,000 ton freighter. The hole was in a "wing" fuel oil tank. Imagine my relief when I discovered the tank was not pressed up, that is, slack, and no fuel leaked to the harbor! Still was a pain in the butt to pump it down, inert, and weld. But that beat a $10,000 fine and proceedings against license!