Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
BF-

If you're running a Mac, there's a nifty piece of software that can change what audio goes to what audio out port... Instead of putting in an Airport Express, you could add a USB-based sound card, and direct iTunes to use that, and use the on-board sound for the screen and DVD output.

They have both HD and SD TV tuners for the Mac, so you could use either over-the-air broadcast TV or cable TV for the signal. I would use the DVI to connect the LCD, as S-Video has much lower resolution and picture quality.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-15-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Cool, do you have the name of that software, is it apple or made for mac. So, I could send itunes out the headphone jack and play a DVD out the DVI at the same time, as an example?

Here is the TV tuner info if anyone is interested. There used to be one called formac, but looks like they don't make it anymore?

Elgato Systems

Vaya con Dios

Last edited by bestfriend; 04-15-2007 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-15-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
BF-

The program is shareware, and made for Macs.. You can read about it here.

Hope that helps.

SD...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 04-15-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
First up your old Wombat is no technical wizard so don't expect me to understand how this all works, but our laptop has a setup whereby you can throw in a cd or a dvd and only the dvd player and sound controls turn on. Meaning that the computer itself doesn't fully boot. Extends battery life enormously. We tend to play music through the onboard CD player not the puter but do use the puter for watching movies. I need to improve the audio side of that equation but even so it's OK. Laptop screen is fine for watching movies on the boat.
Ultimately hope to have the entire music collection on the laptop but will need a bigger HD before that becomes really viable.
Intend to add a portable HD to the boat for backup etc.
Not sure whether to go wireless network or not. I find the wireless network in our office to be somewhat problematic to say the least.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 04-16-2007
Telstar 28

TDW-

If you have questions on WiFi, let me know via PM...

Telstar 28
New England

Old 04-16-2007

southerncross31 is on a distinguished road
I have the answer too all of your problems! TV, Stereo, navigation too. Just do what i did and buy an old boat that needs a lot of work. That way you won't have the time or money to worry about all of this 'electronic' stuff. You could instead spend your days sanding, glassing, cutting old bolts with the dremel..etc. What i do is blast the stereo in my Camaro if i want music(although i have been thinking of putting some nice big subwoofers on the SC ). Until now it hasn't been a problem but now all the fair weather boat owners are showing up and they don't like it. I don't listen to them though because i was out all winter in freezing temps working away! They're wimps! I get to watch all the TV i want at home because the minute i get back my wife runs out the door and disapears with her 100's of friends, not to be seen again until the kids are asleep. For my kids though i got a 2 screen dvd/tv setup for the car...now they each have their own screen. i suppose if I am really bored enough i could use it too, but there is a lot of work left to do .
Old 04-16-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Very good SC! I think I am already on your program. I wanted to put this stuff in LAST year.

One thing I have not thought out, and don't know much about, is the power draw. Seems to me that having a computer based system and running everything off of it would have an enormous draw. Maybe to the point of too much for the dock supply if the fridge was running too. Plus, I would hate to have to boot up the computer every time I wanted to listen to the stereo. Hmmm. Maybe this isn't such a great idea.

Vaya con Dios