Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2007

cockeyedbob is on a distinguished road
As I've said (clumsily) before, my dream is to build it. I'm sure that once I'm done I'll want to spend a ton of time on it and will eventually be very into sailing. For now though, my happy little daydreams are of me in the shop sanding down or driving screws or painting my creation.[/QUOTE]

Cyber ... Bob sincerely hopes you achieve your dream ...
Old 04-16-2007

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
If you do not have a subscription as of yet, one to "wooden boat" would be good, also look at their website for multitudes of plans, and they have a three books that I know of with study plans in them. They also have a boat building forum to get help on the building process;s too.

Clark craft, Glen-L marine, Devlin boatworks also have plans, and kits for some of the plans.

I have built two Glen l boats, step dad has built one. Plans were very detailed and easy to read and use.

I personally like the plywood over frame construction, easy for most any woodworker to do. You will be typically limited to flat or vee bottomed boats thos. But if you have other talents, the foam core as mentioned, lapstrake, or laminated style siding works too, but more time consuming, can get you into a more rounded shaped boat too.

Devlin boatworks has plans for boats upwards of the mid 30' range in plywood stich and glue. A fairly simple light weight boat. One of these may work for your needs too.

The nice thing about building your own boat, is the interior you can do as you want, not as the plans say. But it will take time! My stepdad has been working on a Bill Garden designed Sea Bird yawl, a plywood version of the original from Thomas Day. It has taken him 30+ yrs, and may, hopefully will get her in the water this summer!

As I do not know where you sail etc, to go into a design that will work best, is not right IMHO. I sail in Puget sound, water depth is not an issue for the most part, so a deep draft boat is my prefered choice, but if you sailed on teh columbia river in Portland or equal, then a shallower draft boat might be in order. On the east coast, most folks seem to prefer shoal or centerboard style boats.

Another option.... not saying this is good or bad. Recently their was an older fiberglass ericson that sunk. The insurance company totaled the boat. I am sure the body was still sound, but obviously the rest of the boat, ie motor, interior cushions etc was toast! You could probably pick up this hull/hulk for a song, then redo the interior work yourself, and be out less time and money than building the whole thing including the hull!

Size and length, well big question. A friend of mine will not get anything smaller than 40' or so, as you need a boat that big to have at least 6.5' of headroom. Being as he is just shy of 7', spouse is 6', headroom is of importance. Meanwhile my spouse is 5'3", I am 6', my 30'r with 5.5-6' of headroom works just fine for us! Altho I will admit, a little more headroom would be nice!

At this time, I see more than one option as far as what will work for you. Follow your dream, you will get there!

marty
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-16-2007

Gary M is on a distinguished road
Go wood !

I would absolutely love to build a wooden boat, however I never will, at least not one of any size. If you are into the building process more than the sailing I would think you would want to go with wood. To do that you need plans for a wooden boat, you might start by looking at a few copies of Wooden Boat magazine. Ultimately you will need to buy existing plans or get a Naval Architect to draw them up for you. That way you can get exactly what you want.

I have a few friends that have built wooden boats in the 35 foot range. I think they averaged about 5 years to complete and they look beautiful !
Old 04-16-2007

Cyberjag is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie
I think it is really early for any of us to be giving you much advice as you have an ocean of choices ahead of you. The only thing I would tell you right now is that based on your cruising plans you will want a boat that is both large enough for your needs and of shoal draft (4-5ft) so that you can comfortably cruise the NC sounds, the ICW and the keys on the inside. So look at designs that will let you do this...either shoal keel or center-board.
Here's a pretty well documented story of someone else's boat building project that might be of interest to you and give you some ideas...
THE BIG SAILBOAT PROJECT

and here's more designs to look at:
BOAT PLANS BRUCE ROBERTS, FOUNDED 1966, OFFICIAL SITE, 200 boat plans & boat kits SAILBOATS, POWER BOATS powerboats steel, aluminum, fiberglass, wood epoxy boats
If only for today, you are my hero. GREAT link, I really appreciate it!

BTW, I'm 42 and have a target date for finishing construction of sometime around my 50th birthday. I've always taken a long view for personal goals and projects, so I think my expectations are not entirely unrealistic.
Old 04-16-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I hope you're planning on getting some serious time sailing in before the boat is completed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-16-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
I like your plan, at least on the basic premise of building your own boat. Sounds daunting, but do-able and a great experience. My suggestion, build a dinghy first. My dad used to build boats. Most of them dinghies. It was a huge amount of work(but I was only 8). You will want a dingy anyway, for your trips to the keys or the gulf or just for around your marina. Start there. Pick a design that will fit on your bigger boat, maybe one with a rig on it, like the old fishing dinghies, one with character and style. That way you get some basic building experience. You will learn just how hard, or easy, it is to build, and you will get a lot of mistakes out of the way on a much smaller scale. If you build one with a sailing rig (a mast that will drop) you may decide that you really like sailing, and you can gain sailing experience while you build the big one. Anyway, have fun!

Vaya con Dios

Last edited by bestfriend; 04-16-2007 at 12:28 PM.
Old 04-16-2007

Cyberjag is on a distinguished road
I intend to do that once I decide on the building method I will ultimately choose. I can probably build a dinghy in my garage over a summer and the experience will really help when I decide on a location and create a timeline for the big boat.
Old 04-16-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Nothin' like workin' with wood! It will be the most forgiving and the easiest to work with. Although it may take longer.

Vaya con Dios