SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Singlehanded Sailing Done Right (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/31496-singlehanded-sailing-done-right.html)

sailingdog 04-17-2007 02:10 PM

Singlehanded Sailing Done Right

Maud Fontenoy, a 29-year old native of France, was about 2000 miles from completing her non-stop westabout solo circumnavigation her boat L'oreal Paris was dismasted.

Fontenoy spent the next several hours cutting away the mast and then conferred with her support team about what to do next. They assumed she would abandon ship, and a German freighter changed course to offer assistance.

Instead, she decided to construct a jury-rig from her boat's 220-lb boom and continue on, in hopes of finishing her voyage. She was quoted saying, "I don't want to abandon. I now have a healthy boat in which I feel safe."

She was able to complete her voyage under jury rig. Now that's a sailor.

Giulietta, say what you want about the French, but you gotta admire her guts and determination...

Gary M 04-17-2007 03:29 PM

She is a very remarkable sailor whatever her nationality and she did not sit around whining because she could not sail due to a broken part. :)

Giulietta 04-17-2007 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary M
She is a very remarkable sailor whatever her nationality and she did not sit around whining because she could not sail due to a broken part. :)

If this was "pointed" towards me....I suggest you read some threads around here....:cool: :cool:

I've been dismated, and a had broken boom..sailed home on all of them...so try again..:) :)

SD she must be from the South on the border or have Portuguese relatives...

T34C 04-17-2007 03:50 PM

Finally!!!! A story about a sailor who prefers to sail instead of jumping ship.

The French should be good sailors... I know if I lived there I'd be looking for a way out!:D :D

Giulietta 04-17-2007 03:56 PM

SD...somehow it seems that thru my joking around about the French, suddenly I don't like them or such. Please note its all joking.

Some of my sailing idols are or were French...guys like Eric Tabarly, and his famous Pen Duick...

They have some real good sailors, for sure...mainly due to the love that nation has for sailing....

Boasun 04-17-2007 04:29 PM

True.... But it was the Brits that rule the seas for many centuries.
But many of europe's nations with coast lines have had great sailors...
But we do love to poke fun at the others...Tease, joke about and then share a brew or two on returning to port.

Freesail99 04-17-2007 04:38 PM

I even like Portuguese food and wine .......

sailingdog 04-17-2007 04:49 PM

Giu-

I know that you like some things French, wine, women, food, not their government though...boats, except for faulty booms;) :)

I think the whining comment might be more appropriately directed towards a certain American sailor who was recently rescued from off the coast of Chile.

Giulietta 04-17-2007 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boasun
True.... But it was the Brits that rule the seas for many centuries.

Not that many....the Portuguese opened the routes, made the maps, explored the land, way before the Brits, the Portuguese were discovering sea routes while the Brits were still fighting Mel Gibson and the "Skirt men", eating on the floor and wipping their arse to rocks....

Then the idiotic Portuguese Royalty would marry their children, Princes and Princesses to other European Royalties, and often, the gift from the Portuguese King to his counterpart in England and France, etc. was often land in Portuguese territories..that's how we lost North Africa (the Gibraltar incident and Ceuta), parts of India, Nigeria, etc.etc....then the Brits just tried to keep what they "earned" from the Portuguese...

The British Navy was allways together with the Portuguese Navy...allways..in fact the British/Portuguese allied treaty is the oldes treaty in the World...

Also...The British never won a War alone....

In fact...the rise and fall of the British Empire was one of the shortest in man kind

Valiente 04-17-2007 04:57 PM

Reminds me of Yves Parlier: CNN.com - Yves Parlier's survival story - March 13, 2002

Guy basically cooked his own mast on a deserted island and rejoined the race. He looks pretty beat up for 45, though.