Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
I give the Gaurdian two thumbs up.

Here are a couple of links for you.
The tall ships out of Chicago are replicas, but still impresive.

Tall Ship WINDY

Another pretty boat out of Chicago, Not a replica.

Lakeshore Sail Charters Chicago

And from South Haven Michigan, a boat that has a lot of history from the war of 1812. Typical of The Great Lakes from that eara.

Michigan Maritime Museum - Exhibits
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-20-2007
Banned

bwalker42 is an unknown quantity at this point
bestfriend,
you are a firefighter too?? Wow you just moved into my hero catagory!!

sailingdog,
I Adore that movie too.. very educational!! And, I appreciate you more than you know!!

sailortjk1,
Thanks for the links, very thoughtful.. I'm checking them out right now..

Have the most fabulous weekend!!

Last edited by bwalker42; 04-20-2007 at 03:27 PM.
Old 04-20-2007

SeanConnett is on a distinguished road
I've been with the Coast Guard (active duty and civilian) for nearly 17 years and I appreciate the words of appreciation. I'm also a life long boater and a licensed Captain and although I've never had an emergency that required me to call the Coast Guard, I like knowing that they are there.
One last thing, 406 EPIRBS work! If you go offshore, please take an EPIRB with you.
Old 04-20-2007
Banned

bwalker42 is an unknown quantity at this point
See what I mean about my guys?? Always looking out for us.

Hello SeanConnett,
I like knowing you are there too. Thanks, for all you, and all the USCG, do for us constantly, and for your most excellent advice

Brenda
Old 04-20-2007

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"when the USCG boards your vessel for an inspection. "
So, don't waste their time and yours. Call the USCG Infoline 1-800-5647 or your local USCG Auxiliary and get a free voluntary inspection done, while you are still in the yard or at the dock.
They'll come give you a full inspection--and there are no penalties, no reports, no tickets. If you pass, you get a decal to put on your hull, and when USCG units see the decal--they often will just go elsewhere, knowing that you've already taken the step of getting a voluntary inspection.
If you "fail" you'll get a list of what you need to be in full compliance, and you've lost nothing.
Old 04-20-2007

doctom is on a distinguished road
well i guess i am gonna be the only guy that points out that i am not wholly appreciative of the coast guard....came from having some boot puddle pirate train a turret mounted M-60 on me and my boat while I am being interrogated 3 nights in a row...what respect i had for them left over from my navy days has been diminished.

i was with the corps when we invaded LA during the rodney king riots and never saw that kind of bravado directed towards a peaceful civilian. i was complaining about it at a bar and later found out from a coastie friend stationed at galveston that one of the coast guard boats got too close to the sub during its commisioning and the navy vessel trained its guns on the coast guard boat warning them to keep their distance. what comes around goes around.

mike
Old 04-20-2007

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Mike, it sounds like you met the Gung Ho Post Toasties that were hired in the Zero Tolerance rage days. I remember looking at one who was manning a machine gun while they were zooming up the East River and thinking, does that idiot have ANY idea what will happen when he fires 600 rounds per minute into the east side of Manhattan?

I thought they'd gotten rid of those guys by now, they were an outright embarassment to the rest.
Old 04-20-2007

Sabre66 is on a distinguished road
I don't have a problem with the coasties, but the environmental police can be a pain in the @$$. They consistently sit outside our harbor at dusk and do random inspections/searches. It's one thing if it was a high risk area but it's not. Their not big on just handing out warnings either, usually it's a small fine depending on the infraction. It happens so frequently that it feels like harassment. The locals call them the "blue meanies". Fortunately they usually focus on the power boaters.
Old 04-20-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Hey...hey ....hey........what about me??????

I want some too!!!!

I'm not a Coast Guard...we don't even have one per se, the Navy does that........but I know a guy in the Portuguese Navy...

and our Flagship????

Simply the most beautifull ship in the whole world

N.R.P. Sagres is her name...

Old 04-20-2007

Sabre66 is on a distinguished road
A ship without booms...what a novel idea Must be something in the water, G. Maybe you should try yardarms?

Last edited by Sabre66; 04-20-2007 at 10:34 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.