Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2007

SeanConnett is on a distinguished road
The Coast Guard will never make everybody happy. It's a fact that I accepted a long time ago. I have tried to avoid getting into arguements about what the Coast Guard does or does not do with my fellow boaters and for the most part have been successful in doing so. The Coast Guard has it's "Rambos" and it's "Blue Meenies" but the majorityof them just want to be of maximum service to mainers.
It's a beautiful day down here in Miami. A great day to be on the water.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-21-2007

Sabre66 is on a distinguished road
Sc...I don't have any disrespect fot the coasties!The environmental police,however, are reminiscent of the old DMV days where guys with Napoleon complexes felt the need to flex their muscles.Here in Massachusetts we've done away with the registry police and IMHO we should do away with or limit inspsetions from environmental police, at least for recreational boaters.

Last edited by Sabre66; 04-21-2007 at 09:31 AM.
Old 04-21-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
When we were driven ashore in Grenada after Ivan and violence was all around us...2 Coasties came in under cover (univited by the Grenada gov't) in a dinghy and made sure we and others were OK and let us know how to contact them if conditions deteriorated as well as bringing water.
This when the loacal American consulate would not even let us in their gates!
I will always be grateful for their service and dedication to helping mariners.
Old 04-22-2007
Banned

bwalker42 is an unknown quantity at this point
hellosailor,
It's always good to know 'bout that number 1-800-5647...dunno.. guess I'm so blonde I can't make it work-haha Very good to know 'bout the free voluntary inspection...Just another way my guys go above and beyond.
(hugs)

dotcom,
I'm sorry 'bout that, I know first hand how things happen, that's why we have forgiveness.
All my experiences with the Coast Guard have been good! But I have had some experiences in "life" that I would not want anyone else to go through. I've had to walk in forgiveness in life and death situations.
(hugs)

Guilietta,
Yes, she is completely amazing!! Thank you for the photo's and sharing.
(hugs)

Sean Connett
I know exactly how you feel, and yes the majority do excel at doing their maximum to serve the mariners, for this I am eternally grateful.
(hugs)

Saber,
guys flexing muscles?? send pics
(hugs)

Camaraderie,
I'm with you on that grateful for their service and dedication to helping mariners!!
(hugs)
Old 05-07-2007
Banned

Keeping my CG's in my prayers....
fervantly.. and the people on the water in the storm due to the low pressure system off the SE Coast.
Old 05-08-2007
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolatom
The old saying among rescuers in the Coast Guard is:

"You have to go out--You don't have to come back".

So please be prepared and careful out there. One less rescue attempt means one less chance of "not coming back"

I'm an ex-Coastie, but was more of a desk-driver. The loss of a rescuer, however, would hit all of us very hard.

New Saying...for my CG's

"Let all who go out... come back!"

Last edited by bwalker42; 05-08-2007 at 10:06 AM.
Old 05-09-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

USCGRET1990 is on a distinguished road
USCG In Action!

On patrol off the Bahamas, being delivered a Sunday morning newspaper
Old 05-09-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

Bad Coasties

In every barrel of apples, there's always some rotten ones I guess. I worked with several coasties that deserved the "Richard Cranium" award. It's the same in all law enforcement unfortunately. Remember the kid in grade school that was made hall monitor and became a Hitler wannabe?
camaraderie: I knew many off the Coasties that were in Granada, they were sure scared chitless, not used to being soldiers, albeit trained to be.
I was on a 95' patrol boat out of Key West during the mid-80's drug wars. Not too much fun. We recieved intell, that some bad folks might zoom by in a "go-fast" and take pot-shots at us. So we kept a M-16 on the bridge with two 30 round banana clips taped end to end. Being the expert M-16 shooter, it was my job to shoot back if and when necessary. In the winter, when the prevailing NE winds go against the Gulf Stream, it makes 10-15' "square waves" that are only 20-30 feet apart. Sailing into them was like hitting water walls!
bwalker42: Thanx for the kudos...maybe you could join the CG Auxilary. We used to (affectionately) refer to them as CG Groupies..
The Guardian showed the "Zoomy" side of things. They risk alot and dance with danger, but don't have the hardships of the guys down on the water.
Nuff said for now...
Old 05-09-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Cam,

Explain this one:

Quote:
When we were driven ashore in Grenada after Ivan and violence was all around us...2 Coasties came in under cover (univited by the Grenada gov't) in a dinghy and made sure we and others were OK and let us know how to contact them if conditions deteriorated as well as bringing water.
This when the loacal American consulate would not even let us in their gates!
I will always be grateful for their service and dedication to helping mariners.
What do you mean the consulate would not even let you in??

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 05-09-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

Square Riggers

For Giulietta...