Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2007

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Hmmmm A pressure washer to the boat? Good way to get bad paint off...
Also find pesky leaks. Where the water comes out, Not where the water went in.

Secure for Sea: Tie down or put away every thing that is loose. Rig jack lines for safety harnesses.

Secure for Storm: Secure all vents, openings and hatches. Reduce sail to the smallest areas. Or go bare poles. Double lashings on everything topside. Have drouge ready for launching.

Last edited by Boasun; 04-19-2007 at 04:38 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Badg-

Hate to break it to you... not keeping an eye on the weather, especially given the major failures the weather service has had in that particular region... and how severe the weather in that region can become with little warning... not keeping an ear on the weather forecast is a bit foolish.

Even when I'm out on a daysail, I keep an eye on the sky and have the WX monitored at least every couple hours—just in case.

Also, I know my boat doesn't leak... and I redid companionway boards to make sure that they'll hold in a bad storm and not leak to any major degree.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-19-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Weather happens.

Sometimes you do everything right, and you still get nailed. Plan on getting nailed.
Old 04-20-2007

chris_gee is on a distinguished road
Meteorology is inexact, particularly in a weather situation like NZ lies in.
The Tasman is dangerous. Because a passage would take about 9-10 days and the weather sytems prevail for about 6 you must expect a storm with a long fetch and therefore big swell.
On that particular day I would be surprised if that were the correct actual forecast. Even if it were, just looking at the weather map would have made me sceptical though I am not a meteorologist.
Forecasts change, a weather map is more helpful particularly for a long voyage.
What it looks like happened is the map forecast for midday Thurs was quite benign, but very bad as forecast for midnight, as a tropical low off the coast intensified and then joined a major low below the South Island.
If they checked out with Customs at 8 am that would be by appointment made the previous day on the basis of a decision made on Wednesday.
I think the forecast changed on the Wednesday night or Thursday at some stage just judging from the am paper map.
It would have been prudent to check. They may have been lulled into a sense of security by initially being somewhat sheltered by the land.
Once they were given clearance they cannot stop except in an emergency if approval is given. They could seek approval to turn back.
The conditions were nasty. When the boat should be fully secured is debatable. Some might say when the passage begins, or when bad weather is expected.
The winds would be SW, the shore lee, and the course beam on to a heavy swell. Not a good mix.