Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2007
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
I'll have a beer between races if crewing but none if driving. Having drank like a fish in my younger days, the novelty of it wore off looong ago.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Wow. I thought I'd be seen as Capt. Buzzkill, but you guys all seem like responsible skippers! Ditto on the sailing hangover...that's the royal road to chundering, and the only time I've left a slick is after too many DnSs the night before on an "away" trip.

I will admit that the obviously drunk drivers seem to be in powerboats or PWCs, but I've seen some sail regattas or one-class meets where the "phffft" of beer cans opening is louder than the wind in the rigging...
Old 04-19-2007

stoutwench is on a distinguished road
I'm glad to see that I'm in such good company. We never drink while underway and the bar doesn't open until we are certain that the anchor is holding and everything is properly stowed.

Now, I must admit that I have operated my dinghy a few times after a few drinks ashore, but that falls in the "powerboat" catagory....doesn't it.

Roger
Old 04-19-2007
Space cadet

Jotun is on a distinguished road
I'll swim against the tide here. I will, on occasion, have a beer or two while underway.... I see no problem with it.
Old 04-19-2007

tomaz_423 will become famous soon enough
Hmm.
Sailing in Adriatic is much more wet for most "sailors".
The usual site in marinas every Saturday (charter change) is to see huge loads of cases of beer getting into the boats, wine is often loaded in plastic cans (10 or 20littre), full cases of hard liquor... for a week.
The worst case I heard was a guy filling both water tanks with wine (one for red and one for white wine). That skipper could never rent a boat again - I heart the charter company had to replace the tanks as they could not get rid of the smell.
I know people (I crewed with hem) where a six pack of beer is gone before noon (per person - not in total), I know people where every action (tack, reef, turn, sail trim...) is celebrated by "maneuvering oil" (brandy) and the list goes on and on.
I also drink, but I am almost seen a s a black ship restricting to one beer in a hot day and a few drinks after diner (nothing in any remote chance of bad weather).
The sailing you normally see in Adria is coastal day sail. A safe mooring on a mooring ball or tied to a dock (med moor) is a norm for every evening.
If I am on anchor lots of people think I am crazy - because most do not know how to use the anchor anyway.
I have seen boats where the crew were to drunk to tie the dock line.
I heard "cruise reports" where no one knew which ports they visited in a week as everybody was stoned all week....
Old 04-19-2007
Mostly Harmless

ReverendMike will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutwench

Now, I must admit that I have operated my dinghy a few times after a few drinks ashore, but that falls in the "powerboat" catagory....doesn't it.
that's the ticket, anything to throw the blame on the stinkpotters

We also follow the 'no booze until on the hook' rule, and even 'strongly suggest' that guests do likewise. (and no, that doesn't mean we drink our breakfast, though it might be within the letter of the rule)

...Though on further reflection, we're not very experienced, so perhaps this may explain our caution and we may relax this in the future, but don't see why, drinking isn't required for enjoyment, (run-on sentence alert! )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"... the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my alloted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze." - Richard Bode, First you have to row a little boat (pg. 94)
Old 04-19-2007

kennya is on a distinguished road
Count me in on being a real bore also, a beer or two in port or anchor, maybe some wine with the evening meal. Underway is strictly water or on occasion soft drinks.
Old 04-19-2007

tigerregis has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Own Drum.

It would seem any post to the contrary would elicit many stinky responses however, where angels fear to tread, there go I.
There have been crossings on L.Ont. in 8/10's where I have had to heave-to in order to pour a drink. Another time I had to run 14 miles with 2 reefs in order to have a pleasant drink and a rolled(tobacco!!!) cigarette. As a SH, without a prepacked lunch and a cooler in the cockpit, there is no alternative. This is a game that I play to enjoy, not to scourge myself into some sort of holier-than-thou political correctness. A long time ago I made the choice between a pirate and a preacher. As for beer, one per hour when on the helm; I have been boarded and passed by USCG many times under these conditions, and the subject was never raised.
Old 04-19-2007

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
USCG views as seen by a professional Capt.

Ref: 8th CG Dist. Special Notice to Mariners 00-07 pg 56

You yachtsmen/women have the break here.
The USCG comes aboard a private vessel and you have a .1% blood alcohol level, then you are considered drunk and that ticket is written. Possibility a $5000 fine and maybe jail time.

On the commercial vessels when the USCG comes aboard it is .04% and you are removed from the boat. A Very Probable lost of license, $5000 fine and jail time.

So the good thing is that I don't drink but for an O'Doul's every now and then. But many of my acquaintences are putting their livelyhood on the line when they have a few before coming to work.

So as a Maritime Instructor; I carefully point out this fact to my students.
Maybe some of them will listen and become careful in their drinking.

Hopefully anyway.

Just remember, USCG don't need a reason to board you, but seeing a open container in your hand is begging for it on your part. They don't need a search warrent to search your vessel and all items on board. So Please be careful

Last edited by Boasun; 04-19-2007 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-19-2007
Mostly Harmless

ReverendMike will become famous soon enough
tigerregis & jotun

Not to worry, no 'stink' from me. I believe the OP asked for a poll and i'm glad to see some difference of opinion. I like that you had a limit, good to see what works for others in case my position feels like evolving. Thank you

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"... the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my alloted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze." - Richard Bode, First you have to row a little boat (pg. 94)