Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerregis
As a SH, without a prepacked lunch and a cooler in the cockpit, there is no alternative. This is a game that I play to enjoy, not to scourge myself into some sort of holier-than-thou political correctness.
I didn't mean to imply that this was the distinction. God knows sailing has cut badly into my boozing...but I just made a decision that if I ever screwed up badly, the news reports would never have cause to say "alcohol is suspected as a factor".

If we're on the dock and I've been in the sun, a couple of pints of rum will put me right out...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
I have tried it a couple times, but never inhaled.

I can't believe all the BSers on this thread.

We like to drink when in port or at anchor for the night - usually wine, or Dark & Stormies . . . and lots of it. But rarely do I drink more than a beer or two while piloting under fair skies . . . even with my high threshold for incoherency while under the influence.
Old 04-19-2007

tigerregis has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Valiente, did not mean you or anyone else. You asked a fair question and after all the Carrie Nation replies, just thought an honest answer was in order. How anyone enjoys themselves is up to them, until the constabulary is required to restore law and order. Remember, I said pirate not ...
Old 04-19-2007

mstern is on a distinguished road
I have had a beer while sailing on a hot day, but never more than one. I must admit that my reluctance to drink more is motivated as much from fear of seasickness as my sense of responsibility. Also, I simply can't drink the way I used to; my body is taking its revenge on me for my misspent youth.
Old 04-19-2007

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstern
Also, I simply can't drink the way I used to; my body is taking its revenge on me for my misspent youth.
Take Revenge?? You are putting it lightly. Two Stents, Missing discs in the neck, and all that other stuff, such as 5 broken bones at one time or another and then some. But still in good shape & health but for the minor details.

But it sure was fun.... Misspent? Nah! Hard living? Yeah! 49 years of working the seas for a living. 21 years Navy the rest Commercial time. Complaints?? Well? Can't get hired as a motorcycle Cop. Imagine being able to ride down the Highway above a hundred MPH and not get a ticket... And I had the speeding tickets when I rode bikes.
Old 04-19-2007
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
While I drink very regularly on land, I tend not to much while sailing. On occation I will have a beer while underway, and "several" after we park. I have crewed on boats where each member of a crew of 6 was required to bring a "case of anything" as their ticket on board for a 2 day race.
Old 04-19-2007

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by T34C
While I drink very regularly on land, I tend not to much while sailing. On occation I will have a beer while underway, and "several" after we park. I have crewed on boats where each member of a crew of 6 was required to bring a "case of anything" as their ticket on board for a 2 day race.
The Hot Buttered Rum race in San Diego, was a blast... the HBR came after the race... But we had to sail back to the other end of the bay after the awards dinner. Well we didn't get lost. Just took awhile. Would you believe 'light airs'?
Old 04-19-2007

soul searcher is on a distinguished road
In Florida it Is the same as being in a car. If the state water nazi's pull you over and think you are over .08 your going to jail getting a 1,000.00 dollar fine 100 hours of comunity service, and dui school, and possibly further treatment. unless your famous or have a really good lawyer
Not worth the risk to me. thats too many boat bucks.
when they started this they were arresting people at astronomical rate. Just to make sure the word got out. I heard of one guy in a kayac and another in a little dink with a five horse. so apparently they were pretty serios about it.
In one day at the local pirate fest they arrested 25 people in one day.
check your state rules.

All boats are sinking it's just a matter of how fast.
Old 04-19-2007

BarryL is on a distinguished road
I will have a beer or two while underway. Where I sail the water is never crowded and I don't feel like I am risking my or anyone else's safety by having a beer or two.

One of my great pleasures is a hot sunny day, sitting on the high side in the shade and drinking a cold beer while the boat sails along.

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-19-2007
Mostly Harmless

ReverendMike will become famous soon enough
Say what

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerregis
You asked a fair question and after all the Carrie Nation replies, just thought an honest answer was in order. How anyone enjoys themselves is up to them, until the constabulary is required to restore law and order. Remember, I said pirate not ...
So you're saying the posts prior to yours were all made by lying alcoholics? Of did i miss something?

Edit: i was glad to see other viewpoints, but calling me a liar? eff you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"... the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my alloted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze." - Richard Bode, First you have to row a little boat (pg. 94)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.